Author Topic: Addon Manager causes a complete freeze of Windows 8  (Read 3782 times)

MattDavies

Addon Manager causes a complete freeze of Windows 8
« on: June 28, 2013, 10:11:04 pm »
Hi there,

I just upgraded to Windows 8 and after a long time trying to figure out why it kept freezing when I launched Flight Sim, I've come to the conclusion that's its something to do with the Addon Manager you use.

When you first install the Addon Manager, you get the DLL prompt within FSX - when I click on "Run" then "Accept", Windows 8 just freezes and the only way back is to do a hard reboot of the entire system.

When I uninstalled GSX + Addon Manager, FSX ran perfectly.

Other addons that require DLL's to be accepted work perfectly fine.

Is there a solution out there?

Thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager causes a complete freeze of Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:25:53 pm »
We don't guaranteed support for Windows 8, the only supported OS right now is Windows 7. On Windows 8 you are really on your own, but we have reports from users our products generally work.

As the first thing to do, try to run FSX As Administrator.

MattDavies

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:33:02 pm »
FSX is running as admin, same for everything else. Tried it with and without.

I didn't think windows 8 would be supported, but it might be an idea to in the future, as I can't run any of your software now  >:(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 10:34:28 pm »
Maybe, if 8.1 will turn out to be a less complete disgrace than 8.0 was, we might start supporting it from that version.

It was the same with Windows Vista: a total disaster of a release, that we lost lots of time supporting it, but many users stayed with XP. Fortunately, it was short-lived enough to be replaced by the "real" version, which was Windows 7.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:37:46 pm by virtuali »

MattDavies

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 12:01:28 am »
Question, is there a way to run the addon manager as admin? If so, where is the exe?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 08:20:22 am »
Question, is there a way to run the addon manager as admin? If so, where is the exe?

If FSX runs As Admin, so will the Addon Manager, because it's not an .exe but a .dll, so it inherits the same permissions level as the host program.

Another possible solution might be turning off UAC in Windows 8.