Author Topic: Anyone know why the docking isn't working in JFK v.2?  (Read 4040 times)

DaveT

Anyone know why the docking isn't working in JFK v.2?
« on: May 01, 2013, 08:51:37 pm »
It wasn't working in version 1 and I am very disappointed It's still not working in Version2?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Anyone know why the docking isn't working in JFK v.2?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:29:47 pm »
It wasn't working in version 1 and I am very disappointed It's still not working in Version2?

It WAS working on version 1, and it IS working in version 2. The only difference is how you activate it: with version 1 you had to use the ParkMe function, which came with the scenery, and if you installed GSX, it was upgraded to be used within GSX.

Version 2 doesn't include the docking systems anymore, and assume you have GSX installed, but you still activate the docking system as before post-GSX installation: by activating a parking with GSX, and the relevant docking system will turn on.

DaveT

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 01:35:18 pm »
I cannot see the point of displaying the docking system if it is faulty. It never worked for me when I purchased version 1 and this was the reason for my upgrading to version 2.  It is also wrong, to assume everyone is using GSX.  ::)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 02:16:47 pm »
I cannot see the point of displaying the docking system if it is faulty

Well of course there isn't. But the issue is, YOU say it's faulty, but the fact is that is working correctly.

It never worked for me when I purchased version 1 and this was the reason for my upgrading to version 2.

It worked for everyone in V1 and nobody ever reported a problem with it since September 2008 when JFK was originally released. It always worked in a way that you HAVE to select it the parking first, and THEN the docking will activate.

It is also wrong, to assume everyone is using GSX.  ::)

It's obviously right assuming everyone is using GSX at FSDT airports, first because it's free, and second because the only change between using the previous ParkMe and GSX, is that ParkMe was included in the scenery installer, while GSX is a separate download. But they were separate programs just the same. Supporting ParkMe, added about 18MB of size to EACH scenery installer, because each scenery installer carried along most of the files that are now GSX, and each time we updated anything related to ParkMe, we had to update each and every scenery installer, and user had to download them all too.

So, we re removing everything related to ParkMe, docking systems, etc, and put everything in GSX. This is obviously more efficient, because instead of adding 18MB to each installer size, we have a single 60MB download for GSX AND the ability to update small pieces of it, because GSX has a Live Update feature.

On top of that, while ParkMe worked ONLY with parkings that had a docking system, GSX works at every parking in the airport, with a docking system (if there is one) or with a marshaller, if there isn't. Not even mentioning all the rest of GSX like baggage loaders, follow me, pushback, etc.

As I've said, since GSX is entirely free at our airports, you should basically consider GSX to be part of the scenery in a separate download, for the efficiency and ease of update reasons I've already explained before.

This is of course explained in the JFK V2 manual, which clearly indicates that, in order to use the docking systems, you MUST install and use GSX. It didn't make any sense to keep two separate systems (ParkMe and GSX) that do exactly the same thing, both are free, but the latter does it much better.