Author Topic: Win 8 issues  (Read 7972 times)

lerimer

Win 8 issues
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:23:46 pm »
First off, hello to everyone since this is my first post ever on this forum :). Now, I have gsx, Vegas, and lax scenery's. They seem to work fine on windows 8 as long as I don't run fsx as admin. Now, on win 7 this wouldn't be a problem, but when I run fsx as admin it says that blgman.dll... "Or something of that nature... I can't remember now", is having problems loading. It then asks if I want to run it or not. If I choose not to, fsx will load, but no fsdt scenery. If I choose to load it, my PC will freeze and ill have to do a hard reset. Is there a work around for this, i need to run fsx as admin since i also have PMDG planes that need fsx to tun as admin, as well as SB4 will not crash when fsx is run as admin?!?!?!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Win 8 issues
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:06:18 am »
We'll talk about this after October 28th, when Windows 8 will be released. However, since you said:

They seem to work fine on windows 8 as long as I don't run fsx as admin

Since our products all 100% Win7 compliant, they do not require running FSX as admin.

i need to run fsx as admin since i also have PMDG planes that need fsx to tun as admin, as well as SB4 will not crash when fsx is run as admin?

Ok, so your real issue doesn't have anything to do with any of our products. Your issue is that you have non-entirely Vista/Win7 compliant products, that don't support UAC properly, so you are forced to run FSX in admin mode.

Running in admin mode is not the only way to fix these non-compliant products. Usually, these products fails, because they try to access to file/folders that shouldn't be used in Vista/Win7 (and I guess Win8), like the C:\Program Files folder or the C:\Windows folder. A 100% compliant app should only use the %APPDATA% or the C:\ProgramData folders to write their own settings. But of course, running as admin will bypass this.

You can fix it in a better way, instead of running FSX as admin (which might be potentially dangerous), do the following:

- Reinstall FSX in a folder *you* created, for example C:\FSX. This is STRONGLY suggested, you'll never have any issues with non-Vista/Win7 aware products ever, if you follow this rule.

- If you don't want to reinstall FSX, you can add your user name to the permission list on the FSX folder:

Go to the FSX root folder, which should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Microsoft Games, right click on the "Flight Simulator X" folder, select "Properties" -> "Security" tab -> Edit -> Add... -> type your Windows username -> OK -> select Allow checkbox for Full control -> OK or Apply.

lerimer

Re: RE: Win 8 issues
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:52:41 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply. I will go ahead and make the folder a full control first and if tat doesn't work, then I'll reinstall in c:\fsx...

lerimer

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 06:47:16 am »
Well, everything seems to work after I gave full permission to the folder. I only have 1 problem now which is this.  https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=8E2519F43011CCB7!2669&authkey=!ADAswIh83VYi8_c

lerimer

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 06:48:39 am »
It goes without saying that I have the latest version installed...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:02:34 am »
That error shows you don't have the most current GSX version installed. Try to download the current full installer and install that one.

lerimer

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 06:10:03 am »
Problem solved. That a mil!!!!

eleuth

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 07:38:04 pm »
Hi,

Glad to hear your problem is solved.
Couatle en virtuali won't work together with windows 8 on my machine.
I downloaded en installed everything again.
But fsx freezes in the startscreen.
Sometimes it start after it shut down the Couatle programm. (I don't remember the right names.)

Well, that will give a lot of trouble in october  ;D

Eric