Author Topic: Microsoft GAVE US PERMISSION!!!  (Read 71890 times)

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
Microsoft GAVE US PERMISSION!!!
« on: May 13, 2010, 02:02:05 am »
Everyone...

Just got FULL PERMISSION from Microsoft to completely modify the Hornet.  After discussing this with a Microsoft Game Support manager, he said we have complete permission to decompile/modify/recompile the Hornet, w/two caveats:  1.  There is no support for FSX, so any problems/difficulties we run into are COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED.  2.  NO financial gain (ie, royalties, download fees) by anyone involved.  

Once we are complete modifying the HUD, we can also post it up on any board, for ANYONE to use, the manager told me.   Granted, they still have to have FSX: Acceleration purchased and installed, as is the case with anyone who wants the Sludge Hornet upgrade.   And if anyone from Microsoft ever questions us about this, I have my Microsoft Case Number (#1131457191) that entails all the information talked about today.

Lets get to work fellas...

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 04:20:07 am by Sludge »

neutrino

Re: Microsoft GAVE US PERMISSION!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 02:40:59 am »
Sludge, that's just unbelievable, I can't even think what is possible now if someone sits down as does the work ::) I guess virtuali will have a problem on his hands ;D Anyway - you are a hero to get that permission - opens up a lot of doors for some fine things to come  8)

Razgriz

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 03:16:56 am »
Wow, thats amazing.  Time to majorly tweak the Hornet. :D

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 04:44:52 am »
Sludge, you da man!  ;D

Ok, will that tweaking be limited by HUD collimation issue only or what?

My two cents - I'd like to have fixed landing light texture and add/or make another version with a starboard searchlight (Canadian, Aussie etc Hornets). And yes - working approach light assembly.  :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:12:02 am by fsxnavypilot »
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:02:06 am »
JR...

Thanks, but it was for ALL OF US who see much more potential in the Hornet than was originally released.  Cant wait to start ideas about brainstorming.  AND getting to work on the new collimated, conformal HUD!!

Raz...

Yes, think of things that you want to tweak.

Frenchie...

Thanks, but again, it was FOR ALL OF US.  Now we are free...!!

FSXNP...

Thanks.  And No, the Microsoft Game Studios Manager WAS ADAMANT that we are allowed to take apart the ENTIRE Hornet file and try out any type of modifications as long as we follow the rules listed above.  He was just as ADAMANT that its "at your own risk" and Microsoft bears no responsibility for what might happen to your computer or FSX if you recompile it and there are errors.  This exchange all took place in a phone conversation, after getting that initial canned-response email, and getting the "run-around" of Microsoft's entire customer service system.

Also, I asked twice if he documented EVERYTHING we talked about, and he confirmed he did.  He said my request ticket is now CLOSED but that it can be referenced with the Case Number by any employee who has access to Microsoft's customer service database.

Hope that helps answer everyone's questions.

Later
Sludge

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 05:42:03 am »
Vitamin C...

We discussed the Interior model at length, but when I pressed him about any limits of decompiling/modding the default Hornet, he said there are no limits.  He said that all the licenses were with the ACES/Microsoft team and that now they are kaput, we can mod at our own discretion.  Again, he was very adamant, that once you start modding all warranties are void and Microsoft is NOT responsible for what happens.

Yeah, thats my focus right now.  A collimated HUD.

Later
Sludge

Orion

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 05:44:17 am »
Oops, sorry.  I removed my post after re-reading your first post (where you said "completely modify the Hornet") :P.

Edit: Bleh, I can't type or read today :P.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:48:00 am by Orion »

SUBS17

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:57:43 am »
Awesome, go for it.

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 06:10:31 am »
Sludge, Congratulations. Thanks and thanks to Microsoft also. Well Done. Good luck with the mods.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:59:19 am by SpazSinbad »
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

wilycoyote4

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 08:08:30 am »
Congrats, gonna be interesting for some time to come

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 08:11:46 am »
Excellent work Sludge!!!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Grape

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 02:47:22 pm »
Does this mean that there may be a chance to at least get a centerline tank on the bird? How many Hornets do you see with absolutley nothing hanging off of it? Some ordnance would be nice too.

Ray

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 03:11:19 pm »
Wow, I am stunned. Great job Sludge! I never thought this possible. Way to go!! Thanks so much for keeping on that. That's terrific. You avatar picture fitted so well to your opening post of this thread.  ;D

Now is there a chance for improving the leading and trailing edge flap extensions, and the flap logic in general. I believe Virtuali once stated, they had to simplify the "flap scheduling" alot during development, as I remember because MS wanted that?
Oh boy, the prospect of having the Hornet with correct flap extension (e.g. in HALF and FULL mode) and perhaps an improved landing gear suspension (corrected fully-compressed-positions) is a fantastic motivation. Whoot!

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 06:16:36 pm »
OK, even more good news...

Last night, early morning (1-2am), I get two emails, one giving me permission from Charlie "Skippy" Bing to modify/use his Carrier Trap Gauge (basis for JR's carrier trap gauge) and I get a repsonse from Rok Dolenec saying its OK for me to use his KC-135T aircraft model/textures.  Ding-dong, the witch is dead!!  

mildly bad news...
Im at work and wont be able to release the KC-135T til tonite.  As well, I will need to update the Sludge README and start working on Sludge Hornet v1.1 wide-release (Carrier Trap Gauge, FSXNP Sound Pack and BlackBox Gauge) when i get home.

Bad news (but not a showstopper), just a roadblock that I think can be worked through...
In talking with Virtuali, he said he wont be able to give me the original model files due to legal/contractual issues pertaining to his development of the Hornet.  Understood.  Dont bother Virtuali about this as he is right to protect himself/his work legally in this manner.  And these permissions dont overwrite any contracts he had with Microsoft.

However, as we are allowed to decompile the RTM FSX Hornet model, and according to Scott Printz we need access to the model, here is my request to all FSDT forum members.  Go to all the boards, pull in all your assets (programmer friends, knowledgeable people) and find out means to decompile the "default" Hornet model into workable source code.  If you find anyone that is hesitant due to percieved legal restraints, send them my way and I will discuss IN DETAIL my conversation with Microsoft.

Additionally, IF you are ever given any grief for doing this, the buck will stop with me on this!!  Refer them to me... I can be reached via this forum, personal email, my personal cell number, person to person, whatever it takes.  I will take all flak for this (if any comes out of it) and will answer any questions as to the discussion I had and the permissions given to me (and essentially US, as legitimate PRODUCT PAID FOR, users).  The SPECIFIC WORDS:  decompile, modify, and recompile the default FSX F/A-18A Hornet model files were used in asking for permission and the answer was yes.

This is where I am at now.  I can wide release both JR's Trap Gauge and KC-135T Navy Drogue Tanker.  And, since there are alot of good ideas (especially Ray's auto-flap logic FIX), please help me find a way to decompile the FSX Hornet, so we can start with modding the Hornet HUD.  No ideas are off the table at this point.  If you just have an idea but not sure how to accomplish it, write it down... how youd like to implement it... any NATOPS backing (not necessary, but would help).  Then bring it up once we get the model decompiled into a workable source code.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:28:31 pm by Sludge »

neutrino

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 08:32:18 pm »
If FSDreamteam cannot provide the source for the model, they will be the only one who can modify it - mdl files cannot be decompiled.