Author Topic: Heat Shimmer Effect  (Read 10693 times)

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
Heat Shimmer Effect
« on: December 22, 2009, 05:58:34 pm »
Someone asked some time back on the board about a heat shimmer effect for the F-18's jet wash. I've never found a good one for jet engines so I have been trying for a while to create something passable myself.

I'm not going to claim it's brilliant (although it looks a bit better in motion than these stills show...but I'm useless at making videos...LOL). Nevertheless, if anyone feels they can put the effect to good use I have made it available as a download at the following link. (It includes some aircraft.cfg settings to attach it to the Hornet)

http://voodoo.wikispaces.com/Heat+Shimmer

[EDIT] there is now a short VIDEO CLIP at the following link
http://voodoo.mediashare.com?selectedalbum=voodoo429038
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:56:48 am by Voodoo »
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

skimmer

Re: Heat Shimmer Effect
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 06:00:26 am »
Thanks Voodoo. I dwnlded and Im installing on f-18. I'll get a pic to you. ;D

skimmer

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 06:42:43 am »
Darn,I was hopeing it would work in FSX ,F-18 but it already has smoke sys . As follows=[SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0=-53.00, 0, -0.0, fx_smoke_w.   I have the mod for the sonic boom effect as well. Do you think I should maybe just delete current smoke sys and add your heat shimmer?

Thanks again :)

JamesChams

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 04:19:27 pm »
Mr. "Voodoo,"

:o Another excellent Fix! 8)
I'm going to try this one, too.  ;)

Thanks again and do have a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 05:21:54 pm »
@Skimmer

Do you think I should maybe just delete current smoke sys and add your heat shimmer

What I'd do Skimmer is just comment out your existing [smokesystem] entries and then insert the heat shimmer entries. That way, you can check out if you like it or not, and easily and quickly revert back to using your regular [smokesystem] if you wish.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think the sonic boom effect is all handled in the [lights] section, so you shou;dn't have anything clashing with that (I think).

NOTE: There is a way to have multiple independent [smokesystem] effects. I used the concept to good effect with the Blue Angels C130 that I posted a few weeks back. If I can find the time to work on it I can maybe try to work a series for the Hornet.

If you want to try experimenting with the concept yourself...here is a link that shows how it's done...
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14592

skimmer

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 09:07:39 pm »
Hey Voodoo it works fine right out of the box. I just deleted FSX f-18 smoke config and followed your instruction for install. It looks better from distance. Thanks for another great keeper. Thats two on my system including the suntweak. Heres a couple pics. Nice xmas to you.

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
VIDEO CLIP of Heat Shimmer Effect
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 09:17:24 pm »
Glad it worked for you Skimmer, and have a very good Festive Season, sir.

I've posted a video clip at the following link, showing the Heat Shimmer effect attached to an F/A-18 of the Aggressor Squadron.

http://voodoo.mediashare.com?selectedalbum=voodoo429038

(Best viewed at 200% or Full Screen with looping turned on)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:47:14 am by Voodoo »

Intrepid

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 01:08:11 am »
That  clip looks Great VooDoo ,,On full screen you can really see the way a shimmer affects the sun in the background,,, Sweeeet  8)
Two thumbs up buddy
Randy