Author Topic: Static Objects missing in some Orbx airports after GSX install  (Read 7913 times)

LFigueiredo

Static Objects missing in some Orbx airports after GSX install
« on: February 19, 2016, 12:46:38 pm »
Dear All,

I have recently purchased GSX for P3D V2.5. It is really an awesome addon. During installation, i got a message that my dll.xml file was corrupt and it would be changed. After the process, GSX worked fine, but on the other hand some Orbx airports (about 10 out of 100) were affected, not showing static airplanes, hangars, runways, grass and so on. My first decision was to reinstall those airports, but it didn't work. I also tried updating my Orbxlibs, but they were already updated. I also tried to uninstall GSX, but the problem still persists. I sent a message to a FTX forum about the problem, but they don't know yet how to solve that. I would like to hear from you what kind of changes GSX causes to P3D files, and how i can restore them to the original condition.

Thanks in advance,

Luiz

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Static Objects missing in some Orbx airports after GSX install
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 01:20:13 pm »
I would like to hear from you what kind of changes GSX causes to P3D files, and how i can restore them to the original condition.

GSX doesn't make any changes to any of the P3D files, with the exception of the addition for the lines that call its needed modules in the DLL.XML file ( the Addon Manager ) and in the EXE.XML file ( the Couatl exe )

The GSX installer will check your DLL.XML BEFORE doing any changes to it. It calls the standard XML validation routine that comes with Windows so, if that one reports the XML is corrupted, it IS corrupted, no question about it.

If the DLL.XML file is found corrupted, the installer WON'T TOUCH IT, but it will offer YOU a CHOICE between:

1) Aborting the installation, so you might try fixing the already-corrupted file yourself

OR

2) Starting from scratch with a *new* DLL.XML file, that of course, will contain ONLY the lines needed by our software, and nothing else.

If you chose option #2, it's normal that, if you had *other* 3rd party modules in your old (corrupted) XML file, they won't be present in the new one.

No, the installer won't try to "fix" or "merge" your old file with a brand new file. Brand new means exactly that: an empty XML with JUST the FSDT modules inside.

OF COURSE, the installer is not so careless to allow you to choose a potentially dangerous option #2 (you might not clearly understood what it means...), so it MADE A BACKUP, named DLL_XML_Before_Addon_Manager.XML in your %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin folder.

So, it's not possible to do any "harm" with the GSX installer and, in the worse possible case, you have a backup.

So, if your OrbX airports needed addon modules in the DLL.XML, and you chose option #2 after the installer warned you about your DLL.XML being corrupted, is to be expected the sceneries depending on those modules wouldn't work correctly.

But of course, reinstalling the sceneries SHOULD fix the problem, because their installer should hopefully restore their needed lines and re-enable their modules, which were removed after you chose option #2.

If they don't, even after reinstalling, than I'm afraid there's nothing we can do and it's a problem you should report to the developers of those modules. Again, I confirm that, other than adding its lines to the XML files, the GSX installer doesn't change ANY P3D file.

We never had any previous report of known incompatibilities between our modules and OrbX which, considering how popular both GSX and OrbX sceneries are, should have surfaced by now.

It's also possible ( we have seen cases of this ), the problem is neither GSX or OrbX, but the presence of ANOTHER 3rd party module that, for some reason, is causing conflicts with the Simconnect library (there are several versions of it, all installed at the same time) needed by almost every module out there, so you might try checking this thread for more informations about this:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,13165.msg98428.html#msg98428
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:50:21 pm by virtuali »

LFigueiredo

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 01:48:59 pm »
Thank you Umberto, excellent explanation. I have also installed recently KMIA V3 in my system, do you think it could have caused that?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 01:51:49 pm »
I have also installed recently KMIA V3 in my system, do you think it could have caused that?

Unless it comes with its own support modules, so it need to access the XML files, it's very unlikely.

LFigueiredo

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 02:14:04 pm »
Umberto,

I was reading the thread you suggested, and i could find a possible explanation to my problem. I remember that, during my GSX installation, the installer informed me that it would change the location of dll.xml to User/MyName/APPdata/Roaming/LockheedMartin/P3DV2. Could i move it back, just like below?

"That's because the "Main Directory" is NOT the place to put a DLL.XML, and nobody suggested that either. As I've said, and as also several users that had this problem also confirmed, you should trying placing the DLL.XML in the C:\ProgramData folder, which is NOT the "Main Directory"!!

C:\ProgramData is an alternative place for files that are supposed to be into %APPDATA%, just that %PROGRAMDATA% is for all users, and %APPDATA% is by-user.

The whole path, of course, would be C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3"

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 02:42:27 pm »
I remember that, during my GSX installation, the installer informed me that it would change the location of dll.xml to User/MyName/APPdata/Roaming/LockheedMartin/P3DV2. Could i move it back, just like below?

No, the installer won't try to change the location, nor it would warned you it will do that.

It probably informed you that it was going to create a new (correct and blank) DLL.XML in THAT location, but it didn't said anything about "changing THE location". It surely changed the file itself, but it would never try to change its default location.

All our installers always use the %APPDATA% folder (and this is in compliance of Microsoft recommendations that small configuration files should be by-user and placed into that folder), and will not, by default, use any other location or change it.

Prepar3D now supports BOTH locations: %APPDATA% and %PROGRAMDATA%.

BOTH files will be read (with the one under %PROGRAMDATA% read first) and the modules referenced there will all internally "merged" into a single list, so all modules will be called, regardless from which file they came from.

The suggestion to move the bglmanx.dll lines from the DLL.XML in %APPDATA% to the one into %PROGRAMDATA%, is just a TRICK to ensure that bglmanx.dll is read BEFORE most of the other 3rd party modules.

And the reason to have it loaded first, is to prevent other 3rd party modules that uses older Simconnect version, to "lock" the sim to that one, preventing other modules loaded after them to use the newest, which is required by our modules and many others, like PMDG.

LFigueiredo

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 01:29:51 am »
Hi Umberto

You are correct, there is a dll.xml file that was saved before GSX installation. I replaced the current dll.xml file to the "old" one, not only in the APPDATA directory but also in the ProgramData direcory (Both at the P3D V2 folders). Anyway, the Orbx airports are the same, even when I try to reinstall them. I would like to try the trick you mentioned:

" The suggestion to move the bglmanx.dll lines from the DLL.XML in %APPDATA% to the one into %PROGRAMDATA%, is just a TRICK to ensure that bglmanx.dll is read BEFORE most of the other 3rd party modules."

How do I do that? I am not so confortable about changing/editing files, so please try to make it very easy, like Step 1 .do this, Step 2. do that and so on...

LFigueiredo

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 01:38:04 am »
Anyway, this is how my dll.xml files look now:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
   <Descr>Launch</Descr>
   <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
   <Disabled>False</Disabled>
   <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
</SimBase.Document>

And this is how they looked before a recente new airplane addon, a Twin Other:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>iFly 747-400 Menu</Name>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>Modules\iFly744.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_EGPB_P3D</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_EGPB\scenery\ObjectFlow_EGPB_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_05S_P3D</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_05S\scenery\ObjectFlow_05S_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_11S_P3D</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_11S\scenery\ObjectFlow_11S_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_KMRY_P3D</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_KMRY\scenery\ObjectFlow_KMRY_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_CYSE_P3D</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_CYSE\scenery\ObjectFlow_CYSE_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery\ObjectFlow_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>
      <Name>CMeteoXml</Name>
      <Path>.\CMeteoXml.dll</Path>
   </Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>
      <Name>Carenavigraph</Name>
      <Path>.\Carenavigraph.dll</Path>
   </Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PMDG HUD interface</Name>
    <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_HUD_interface.dll</Path>
    <DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
    <DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
  </Launch.Addon>
  </SimBase.Document>

Luiz

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 03:41:25 pm »
If I understood your message correct, you just posted how the file looks like NOW (empty) and how it looked like *before* installing a new airplane. However, you don't say which one is (%PROGRAMDATA% or %APPDATA%), and/or if you have another one in the other location, and its content.

Your first DLL.XML file is EMPTY (no <Launch.Addon> sections, just the header), so it's normal that NOTHING will be loaded from *that* file.

The other version looks normal. If the other modules loaded from there are working, and just Orbx don't, that doesn't seem to be a problem related to those modules which I'm afraid I cannot help much with.

I'm not even exactly sure of your current situation:

- Have you been able to have GSX working, by having the bglmanx.dll lines in the DLL.XML located under %PROGRAMDATA%, and nothing else in that file ?

If yes then you can be reasonably sure the correct Simconnect is being used, and what happens with other modules is something you must sort it out between them.

LFigueiredo

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 01:54:19 am »
Hi Umberto,

I have the same files at both places( Users/MyName/App data/Roaming/Lockheed Martin/P3d V2 and Program Data(x86)/Lockheed Martin/P3dV2). I tried to change my dll.xml files to different configurations, and i suppose now that my problem does not have anything to do with it. My P3D is working just the same, regardless how different my dll.xml files are. This is why i am curious about other files that may be the cause of the issue. Regarding the bglmanx.dll file, it is also located in both places, but i didn´t touch it yet.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 11:02:32 am »
I have the same files at both places( Users/MyName/App data/Roaming/Lockheed Martin/P3d V2 and Program Data(x86)/Lockheed Martin/P3dV2).

That's not right. Not sure it will create issues, but it might, and it's best (and less confusing), if you don't have any duplicates. And, if the problem IS caused by another 3rd party module that is causing OrbX modules to fail, because of the loading order, by copying the SAME file in both places, you simply duplicated the error in the fist file.

As I've said, the only reason to have bglmanx.dll (or any other module that loads the CORRECT Simconnect, which is the one we use) in the DLL.XML under %PROGRAMDATA%, is a way to be sure that no OTHER module will force the sim to load an OUTDATED version, by loading first.

So, as I've said, you must have ONLY the bglmanx.dll lines in the file under %PROGRAMDATA%, and everything else in the file under %APPDATA%

If I understand you current situation, it should be enough to remove all the other modules sections from the DLL.XML in %PROGRAMDATA% (leaving JUST the bglmanx.dll section), and remove the bglmanx.dll section from the DLL.XML in %APPDATA%

With "section", I mean the lines belonging to a specific module, starting from <Launch.Addon> to the next </Launch.Addon>

Don't remove the file header, of course...

LFigueiredo

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 01:07:55 pm »
Ok, let me see if I got it right:

1. I left a complete dll.xml file in the APPDATA. It was sent to me by Mr. Dave Cooper, from Orbx.
2. I deleted bglmanx.dll from APPData. It is located only in ProgramData now.

What i don´t understand is why bglmanx.dll looks to be a new version, since it is shown as of 2016/02/13, the day i installed GSX.  I could not open it, and when i try to attach it to you i am not allowed as well. Could you send me a bglmanx.dll file for me to test? I may have a problem in this file...

LFigueiredo

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 03:54:26 pm »

This is how my dll.xml file looks now. It is located in APPDATA/MyName/Roaming/LockheedMartin/P3DV2 folder:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_YWOL_P3D</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_YWOL\scenery\ObjectFlow_YWOL_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_YMML_P3D</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_YMML\Scenery\ObjectFlow_YMML_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>iFly 747-400 Menu</Name>
    <Path>Modules\iFly744.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_05S_P3D</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_05S\scenery\ObjectFlow_05S_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_11S_P3D</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_11S\scenery\ObjectFlow_11S_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_CYSE_P3D</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_AA_CYSE\scenery\ObjectFlow_CYSE_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery\ObjectFlow_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
      <Name>CMeteoXml</Name>
      <Path>.\CMeteoXml.dll</Path>
   </Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Addon Manager</Name>
    <Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
   <Launch.Addon>
      <Name>Carenavigraph</Name>
      <Path>.\Carenavigraph.dll</Path>
   </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>PMDG HUD interface</Name>
    <Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_HUD_interface.dll</Path>
    <DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>
    <DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Flight Recorder</Name>
    <Path>Aerosoft\Flight Recorder\AS-FlightRecorder.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  </SimBase.Document>

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 11:19:04 am »
1. I left a complete dll.xml file in the APPDATA. It was sent to me by Mr. Dave Cooper, from Orbx.

Ok

2. I deleted bglmanx.dll from APPData. It is located only in ProgramData now.

Yes, if you mean "delete the section in the DLL.XML under %APPDATA% which references bglmanx.dll, and leave it as the ONLY module in the DLL.XML located under %PROGRAMDATA%"

What i don´t understand is why bglmanx.dll looks to be a new version, since it is shown as of 2016/02/13, the day i installed GSX.

There hasn't been a new version in a while. That file date you are looking at, is misleading, since it's the date you installed in your system, not the date we created it.

The bglmanx.dll file ITSLEF, is NOT a problem. Don't waste your time looking at it. The problem is ANOTHER addon using an OUTDATED Simconnect, which is likely affecting both OrbX and PMDG. Which is why, I explained a possible solution.

Loading bglmanx.dll first will be a "fixer" solution for a problem caused by other modules, which never happened, if other developers stopped compiling their modules using outdated Simconnect, especially under P3D, where they are guaranteed all the features of the latest one for FSX are available so, there's no "backward compatibility for FSX RTM and SP1 users" explanation.

LFigueiredo

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 03:44:13 am »
Thanks for the explanation. What i have learned from this situation is the following:

1. Having to deal with installation issues/compatibility issues in Fligh Simulation in general is something that makes me very concerned about installing something new from now on. I never know if a new airplane/scenery/tool will affect the sim itself and the other addons already installed. This leads me to the second conclusion:
2. I don´t intend to buy many addons from diferent sources anymore. I will keep my P3D with as few as possible changes in the future.
3. I will buy V3.1 from LM and have it side by side with my existing V2.5. I will install the addons first(Rex, GSX, VFX, etc), then the airplanes and finally my scenery. I will think twice before buying another addon, because it is very boring, frustating and time-intensive to be solving issues instead of flying and enjoying our hobby.
4. Lockheed Martin should think seriously about having a more complete plattform that could include the most popular addons available. I would rather buy a P3.1 for 1,000 dollars instead of having to buy and install all those products again. Time is money, and mine is very valuable.

Cheers,

Luiz