Author Topic: Airports Missing from Scenery Library **SOLVED**  (Read 6356 times)

johnny10

Airports Missing from Scenery Library **SOLVED**
« on: December 27, 2014, 09:51:38 pm »
I've done some searches and been reading previous posts, but haven't hit on the right one. I re-imaged my computer with Win 7. Fresh download of everything from scratch. New Addon Manager. Downloaded Ohare, KLAS and JFK V2. All show active, but not installed in Scenery Library.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:24:36 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Airports Missing from Scenery Library
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 10:11:38 pm »
Assuming you ran the installers for the sceneries, the only possible explanation, is that you have some kind of a problem in your scenery.cfg, so the installers haven't touched it in order not risking corrupting it even more, but you should have seen some kind of error message about this.

Another possible reason, is that you are running FSX in a "Compatibility" mode ( you shouldn't ), so the scenery.cfg is being read from a different location. Turn off every Compatibility setting for the FSX.EXE.

johnny10

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 11:39:14 pm »
I'm still checking for the Compatibility mode settings. I tried de-activating and going through re-downloading process, got same problem. No error messages. So, if the program shows active, but not in the FSX scenery files it's not running?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 11:48:01 pm »
got same problem. No error messages. So, if the program shows active, but not in the FSX scenery files it's not running?

If a scenery is not in the Scenery Library, it won't work, that's for sure.

The issue is, I see from your 2nd screenshot that you have an area titled "Las Vegas" in the topmost area of the Scenery Library. Is that supposed to contain FSDT KLAS ? Since our installer doesn't create an area named "Las Vegas", but "Fsdreamteam Las Vegas" instead. Assuming this IS FSDT KLAS, that seems to indicate you tried to create the area on your own, but that shouldn't be necessary, because the installer WILL DO IT.

If you haven't seen any error message while installing, it means the installer DID IT, but if your FSX doesn't show it and you had to manually add the Scenery Area, it means FSX is for some reason reading from the wrong scenery.cfg, and that's likely caused by the Compatibility mode enabled. If FSX is not reading the correct scenery.cfg, for the same reason the Addon Manager is not reading it too, that's why it tells the scenery is "not installed in the Scenery Library", so it's not displaying the scenery.

Note that, it's also possible the effects of the Compatibility mode might happen even if you have a 3rd party add-on that starts with FSX (or that starts FSX by itself) running in Compatibility mode so, everything that starts with FSX must have every setting on the Compatibility page DISABLED.

freeice

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:59:39 pm »
I understand that running with compatibility means to treat and "Run as administrator"?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 12:18:50 am »
I understand that running with compatibility means to treat and "Run as administrator"?

No, it means Compatibility mode. Just having "Run as administrator" is not required and not suggested, but it should affect where the scenery.cfg is read from.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 12:23:35 am »
Another thing I noticed, you said:

Fresh download of everything from scratch. New Addon Manager.

But your screenshot seems to indicate you don't have the current version of the Addon Manager, which is 2.9.0.25, not 2.9.0.24 as in your screenshot. Not that this shouldn't make any different to your problem (it's not the previous version didn't read the Scenery Library...), but maybe it's an indication of some other problem, because if you really downloaded everything from scratch, it's not possible you would get the older Addon Manager, because it's not online anywhere.

freeice

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 12:33:52 am »
My version * 25, but the problem still ...

freeice

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 12:37:30 am »
And where is this scenery.cfg?

freeice

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 12:49:43 am »
but not installed in Scenery Library.

Have you tried to install Steam version?

freeice

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 01:00:51 am »
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa, FSX-steam Version created(C:\Users\------\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE) his folder scenery.cfg and prescribed her all the way to the scenery.

If you do not use this version to delete the folder "FSX-SE"

Thx for all of the help!

johnny10

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 03:03:59 am »
Sorry, copied the wrong snip. Thank so much for your patience and help. I went ahead deleted and tried downloading the addon manager again. The latest version is in there. I checked compatibility, it's not checked. In my fsx scenery library is Addon Scenery which when opened shows a fsdreamteam folder. When that's opened the airports are listed, but not JFK V2. When I open the folders and check the scenery folder it's empty. I included some screenshots. Thanks again for looking.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 10:50:59 am »
When I open the folders and check the scenery folder it's empty. I included some screenshots. Thanks again for looking.

Those folders are NOT empty. You are mislead thinking they are, because you are not checking them with the standard Windows explorer, but from the add area browser of the FSX Scenery Library, and that one filters out files, because it's only interested in folders.

The problem are not missing files, the installer obviously installs all files, the problem must be something wrong in your system, most likely registry keys missing or pointing in the wrong places (if it's not Compatibility mode).

If you want to start a Teamviewer session, I can have a look at your system. Contact me with a PM to arrange it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Airports Missing from Scenery Library **SOLVED**
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 09:27:27 pm »
We just had the Teamviewer session, and in this case the problem was caused by having selected the option in the browser to "Run" the scenery installers, instead of "Save" to a folder first, and then launching them, so the installer probably didn't run, I believe it's related to security issues of launching an installer without saving it first.

johnny10

Re: Airports Missing from Scenery Library **SOLVED**
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 10:41:13 pm »
Umberto, thank you so much for solving my problem, your a genius!!  All my airports are back installed and working beautifully.  :)