Author Topic: KLAX fps problem  (Read 10306 times)

looping

KLAX fps problem
« on: July 21, 2013, 07:00:19 am »
Hi,

I can't solve the low fps problem on final with KLAX (KORD KLAS, CYVR and all other addon airports are fine).
I followed the

Situation:
Standard Cessna
fps on runway:   ~20
fps ~1 mile aout of KLAX: 30 (limited by external controller)
fps on close approach to KLAX scenery: ~5 and heavy stuttering
Daytime, no AI traffic, no aerosoft Las Vegas, KLAX v2 downloaded 28.6.2013
Addon Manager setting: 4096x4096 (= installed)
nVidia Inspector setting as recommended by Kostas (except fps limiter) plus anisotropic to 8x
FSX setting Trilinear

The fps really drop dramatically when around 200m from touch down at some height.
On runway altitude it stays around 20.

My system:
W7 64, i5 2500K 4.2 GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX660Ti 2048MB 320.49 driver

Questions:
-Would a reduction to 2048x2048 bmps boost fps and if yes: how can it be done?
-Any other suggestions

Thank you for your help to use the KLAX scenery!

Ernst

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KLAX fps problem
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:27:59 am »
fps on runway:   ~20
fps ~1 mile aout of KLAX: 30 (limited by external controller)
fps on close approach to KLAX scenery: ~5 and heavy stuttering
Daytime, no AI traffic, no aerosoft Las Vegas, KLAX v2 downloaded 28.6.2013

5 fps with default Cessna and no AI, it's not normal, at all. It's nothing related to the scenery, most likely it's your video driver settings, and it happens only at KLAX because it's a scenery that relies heavily on the video card, so it requires the video driver and settings to be correct, while older unoptimized sceneries with lots of FS9 code, relies so much on the CPU, that you will not notice a problem with the video card settings there.

-Would a reduction to 2048x2048 bmps boost fps and if yes: how can it be done?

You can try that, there's a setting in the Addon Manager that does just that. If you see an improvement, it means you are exhausting your available VRAM when at 4096, but I find difficult to believe you are, with the default Cessna and no AI.

Do you use the ENB Series program maybe ? If yes, you might have to turn if off, because I do recall a drastic effect (like half fps with it) on fps at KLAX when I've tried it. It's logical because, the ENB program needs lots of spare GPU power (it's designed to enhance programs that don't use the GPU much), but you don't have that much spare GPU power left on a scenery that uses the GPU a lot.

Hnla

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:56:22 pm »
What about Duplicate AFCAD? I had low FPS when I started, only to find I had a traffic .bgl installed.

Just to be sure, download FSX airport scanner, and scan for duplicates.

looping

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 05:18:13 am »
Hi,
Thanks for your replies.

After trying numerious nvidiaInspector settings I can reach now 20 fps with the default Cessna.
But this results in quite heavy pixelation of some buildings and portions of the ground.

I also checked for duplicate Afcads (FSX Aiport Scanner), nothing for KLAX.

It's the FSDT airport buildings which cause the fps hit, I suppose.
As long as they are not shown in full 3D size frames are around 30. As soon as they get into detailed sight, fps drop dramatically.

Any cure known for this problem (remove pixelation w/o fps hit) which I really only experience with FSDT KLAX?
Adding mipmaps?

Thanks
Ernst

looping

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:32:02 am »
I Missed to add: NO ENB Series Program ever used.

Ernst

Hnla

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 07:43:09 am »
It's the FSDT airport buildings which cause the fps hit, I suppose.
As long as they are not shown in full 3D size frames are around 30. As soon as they get into detailed sight, fps drop dramatically.

Do you have Aerosoft US/Cities LA installed? This could make it seem like it's the airport buildings, when it's really the Aerosoft scenery/ with FSDT scenery, and this can create a big FPS drop.

If not, this really seems like a Duplicate AFCAD case to me, sometimes the FSX airport scanner can miss files. Do you have any traffic program installed?

looping

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 08:24:12 am »
NO aerosoft LA is installed. I've heard about fps hits with this scenery, hence I did't buy.

re duplicate AFCAD: There was no KLAX addon before FSDT and AI traffic is with WoAI with (partly) modified aircraft models for FSX use and some Orbx and self made AI traffic.
No AI separate program.

Neither the AFCAD scanner nor my manual search founbd any KLAX or Los Angeles etc. AFCADs except the one needed.

This is really weird since it is the only airport with such a problem.
Even critical airports like aerosoft EDDF with full AI and all sliders full right run at 25fps with iFly 737NG an aerosoft Airbus extended.
No problem with the other FSDT airports.

I'll be away from my PC for the rest of this week but will try to follow this thread somehow.

Tks and regards
Ernst

Hnla

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 08:37:37 am »
and AI traffic is with WoAI with (partly) modified aircraft models for FSX use and some Orbx and self made AI traffic.

This could be part of the problem.

Woai is simnifically harder on the FPS in FSX, because Woai AI traffic models use old FS9 legacy code. Try to get a traffic program, such as Ultimate Traffic 2, that has native FSX models.

What is your traffic setting at?

looping

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 09:55:41 am »
Hi Boone,

Thanks for your advices!

As explained above: No Ai traffic, ALL sliders set to 0% when trying KLAX.

Usually I have the sliders at 40% for airline traffic, the remaining sliders at 20%.

I applied a mod and most Ai traffic models are FSX.

Regards
Ernst

XCLTM3

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 01:34:42 pm »
Hi Ernst,

looking at your system it seems to me that it should be achieving better results for sure.

I know you've mentioned that you're using Kosta's tweaks (I also use them), are you absolutely certain you have carried out ALL his suggestions?

The reason I ask this, is my system is not as powerful as yours, and yet I fly KLAX with the NGX and High AI (UT2) with Extremely High settings (except autogen at zero) and I'm getting frames in the teens and very smooth movements.

The trick with the tweaks, is to ensure you're incorporating & employing them all precisely, according to Kosta's instructions.

As I said, I'm getting better results on a weaker system......this tells me you may be missing something or several things.

Rgds,

Steve
Latebra Factum, Tertia Optio

looping

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 02:24:41 pm »
Hi Everybody,

I have found the cause for my problem: the FSX display resolution was set to a much lower resolution than the recommended 1920x1080.

Now, all systems run in harmony with the same resolution settings and KLAX isn't anymore pixelated and shimmering but crisp at up to 28fps with the default Cessna.

Mea culpa....

to Steve: Yes, everything as per Kosta, except I am having some AI traffic injected.

Thanks to all the friendly supporters!

Regards

Ernst