Author Topic: GSX having issues  (Read 2697 times)

SmeagolFliesPlanes

GSX having issues
« on: May 30, 2018, 03:26:48 am »
Recently, I tried running FSX:SE in Windows XP compatibility mode, as I heard that could help performance. It didn't, and actually caused more problems than it solved for me. One of these things was the complete breaking of GSX. After browsing the internet, and trying several different solutions (some tried while still in XP compatibility mode), I am now left with the current situation: I have two addon managers in the Addons tab in the in-game menu bar. The "Couatl Powered Products" addon and the GSX addon are also missing from the menu. I have tried uninstalling by deleting the GSX folder (and even the entire FSDreamTeam folder), and when I re-install, I get not message asking for any permissions to run anything. What can I do?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX having issues
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 09:19:32 am »
I have two addon managers in the Addons tab in the in-game menu bar.

That's because you installed GSX or another FSDT product using an older installer (one that used to install inside the FSX folder) AFTER having installed something using with a newer installer (which installs by default into C:\program files).

To fix this:

- Uninstall everything from FSDT and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager"

- Reinstall everything using ONLY the current version of the installers. Do not use an older installer you might have downloaded in the past.

- If you have the QW757, since its installer hasn't been updated to the new installation standard (outside the sim), you MUST install that one first, before all the others.

SmeagolFliesPlanes

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 04:23:02 am »

- Uninstall everything from FSDT and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager"

Do I uninstall by simply deleting the FSDT folder entirely, or do I do it differently?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:49:15 pm »
Do I uninstall by simply deleting the FSDT folder entirely, or do I do it differently?

What ?? You are REALLY used to "uninstall" software this way ? No wonder you have issues: that's NOT how you uninstall a program!! (on a Mac, maybe...). Like any other Windows software out there, the one and only way to uninstall it, is from the "Program and Features" option of the Windows Control Panel.

uninstallers do a lot of (sometimes complex) stuff, if you skip the uninstaller and remove the program folder, sooner or later you'll end up with a unusuable Windows installation.

SmeagolFliesPlanes

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 02:05:54 am »
What ?? You are REALLY used to "uninstall" software this way ? No wonder you have issues: that's NOT how you uninstall a program!! (on a Mac, maybe...). Like any other Windows software out there, the one and only way to uninstall it, is from the "Program and Features" option of the Windows Control Panel.

uninstallers do a lot of (sometimes complex) stuff, if you skip the uninstaller and remove the program folder, sooner or later you'll end up with a unusuable Windows installation.

Chill, chill. I haven't found that much useful information online about the uninstall process, and a lot of programs like this nowadays come with an uninstall program or have other means of doing so. But I'll go ahead and use Programs and Features