Author Topic: Cannot activate scenery  (Read 4755 times)

p3dx3

Cannot activate scenery
« on: May 06, 2015, 01:41:42 am »
I downloaded 3 sceneries after formatting and installing fsx all over again. KLAS, KDFW, CYVR. When I start FSX and alt tab, go to the addon menu, and try to register a serial, after pressing OK it just goes back to fsx and the other window closes. Is the activate server down?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Cannot activate scenery
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 01:45:07 am »
This has been discussed many times on the forum, if the sim goes back to flying without anything happening after you press the “Register Serial” button, it might due to the following:

- Check you are not running another add-on that is launching FSX itself. Launch FSX from its icon

- Be sure you don't have another add-on that is "stealing" the focus, so it forces the registration dialog behind the FSX one (the dialog is likely there, you just don't see it because of this other program). Programs that are known to cause this problem are online flying clients with chat windows and similar, or programs that launch FSX themselves.

Turn them off during the registration, you can turn them back on after the registration, and launch FSX from its own icon.

p3dx3

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 02:28:08 am »
This has been discussed many times on the forum, if the sim goes back to flying without anything happening after you press the “Register Serial” button, it might due to the following:

- Check you are not running another add-on that is launching FSX itself. Launch FSX from its icon

- Be sure you don't have another add-on that is "stealing" the focus, so it forces the registration dialog behind the FSX one (the dialog is likely there, you just don't see it because of this other program). Programs that are known to cause this problem are online flying clients with chat windows and similar, or programs that launch FSX themselves.

Turn them off during the registration, you can turn them back on after the registration, and launch FSX from its own icon.

Thank you
I run the same addons I always have. Had to disable the 2 entries for ASN in the exe and dll.xml files. Their new update to ASN blocks your registration program. I think the bootstrap file that runs when fsx starts.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:50:23 am by 413x3 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 10:36:01 am »
I run the same addons I always have. Had to disable the 2 entries for ASN in the exe and dll.xml files. Their new update to ASN blocks your registration program. I think the bootstrap file that runs when fsx starts.

If you are referring to the ASN bug that corrupted the FSX XML file, reported here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/467103-fsdt-addon-manager-telling-me-my-xmls-are-corrupt/?p=3224219

This would be a problem only if you reinstalled an FSDT product, because the installers would warn you about the XML being corrupted, and allow you a choice to start with a new XML file or abort the installation. But in this case, it should happen the opposite: if you chose to start with a new XML file, you would see ONLY the FSDT modules, not the others.

And, this bug seems to have been fixed by ASN developers in the latest update.

As I've said, if you HAVE the Addon Manager menu under the FSX "Addons", it's nothing related to the XML file, and the module IS running correctly, but if nothing happens with you click the OK button to register, it's because either you started FSX from another program (is ASN launching FSX itself) or because ASN itself is behaving in the (questionable) way as explained above: getting the focus and putting itself in the foreground.

Another possible reason is that FSX is running in Compatibility, or some of your addons that starts with it are forcing it to run into "Compatibility" mode, which forces your video drivers to run into a reduced-performance mode, and changes the locations the OS looks for some files, but in this case you should have seen an error message, usually it's the "Esellerate not Found" error.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 11:25:01 am »
I downloaded and installed the current ASN Trial version ( SP2C ), and tried to register an FSDT scenery, with the ASN program running in the background, there are no problems of any kind, and the registration worked normally.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:28:35 am by virtuali »

p3dx3

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 11:46:50 pm »
I downloaded and installed the current ASN Trial version ( SP2C ), and tried to register an FSDT scenery, with the ASN program running in the background, there are problems of any kind, and the registration worked normally.

Strange, well disabling both asn entries allowed me to register sceneries.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 09:31:07 am »
Strange, well disabling both asn entries allowed me to register sceneries.

As I've said, I couldn't reproduce the problem, and the registration works fine with ASN running. I ran FSX in a Window, but I believe you cannot even try to register (a warning message will came out if you try to do that) in Full screen mode.

Perhaps the problem wasn't caused by ASN, but by ANOTHER program, but it only happens in *combination* with ASN, so it appeared to be fixed by disabling ASN.