Author Topic: Compatibility issues  (Read 3957 times)

Heavyspade

Compatibility issues
« on: April 22, 2013, 02:43:58 am »
on both my FSDT KLAX and KJFK i cannot run my sim in compatibility mode or else buildings will disappear. The sim runs fine without compatibility mode BUT some of my payware addons like my PMDG 747 completely glitch out and disappear on long hauls without compatibility mode on.

My main question is, is there a way to have FSDT scenery's function normally WITH XP sp3 or Vista sp2 comparability mode on.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Compatibility issues
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 10:44:56 am »
You should pose the same question to the developers of those other add-ons that *requires* Compatibility to be on. FSX is installed by default with compatibility OFF. Compatibility mode is usually turned on, for those add-ons that don't support Vista/Win7 permissions model UAC. Our software supports it entirely, which is why it runs on FSX with its Compatibility correctly set to off, which is how Microsoft installs it.

However, many problems with such legacy add-ons that don't support permission with the UAC model (basically, they try to write into the C:\Program Data folder, which is not allowed), can be solved by either running FSX As Administrator, instead of using the Compatibility mode.

Another possible solution, you can change the permissions for the FSX folder (and sub-folders), to add your own user name to the list of users that can write to that folder (and sub-folders), this is probably a better solution than running as Administrator. You do this with the "Security" tab after having selected "Properties" for the main FSX folder.

Another possible solution, but requires reinstalling FSX, is to install into a folder outside C:\Program Files, such as C:\FSX, this will usually solve all problems with such non-UAC-compliant add-ons

Heavyspade

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:10:55 pm »
what about turning off UAC?

Heavyspade

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:15:46 pm »
also, could i just copy and paste my FSX folder to outside of program files? or would that screw my sim up. I DO NOT want to reinstall, it would take me hours on end to do so and cause way to many headaches to get all my liveries, sceneries, and textures reinstalled.  Also, why is it only YOUR scenery that does this? and how come you cannot make it compatible with compatibility mode so it prevents cases like this from happening?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 10:48:06 pm »
also, could i just copy and paste my FSX folder to outside of program files? or would that screw my sim up

Yes, of course it will screw your sim. If it was so easy, I would said to do just that, instead of the *multiple* different solution I've indicated.

THIS is the one I think it's the best:

Another possible solution, you can change the permissions for the FSX folder (and sub-folders), to add your own user name to the list of users that can write to that folder (and sub-folders), this is probably a better solution than running as Administrator. You do this with the "Security" tab after having selected "Properties" for the main FSX folder.

Because it won't require changing anything "global" to your system.

Also, why is it only YOUR scenery that does this?

Because it's not just a scenery, but it's made of a lot of actual executable code, so it's more like an airplane gauge.

and how come you cannot make it compatible with compatibility mode so it prevents cases like this from happening?

The Compatibility mode is NOT how FSX should run, you should instead ask why there are other products that are not compliant with the standard Vista/Win7 security model, that requires you to alter the normal execution mode of FSX, as installed by Microsoft.

As I've said, you have being offered multiple solutions, all way better than turning on Compatibility mode, which screws up with folder locations, permissions and even video driver performances and performances overall, because EACH file read/write any app does, is being redirected in real time to different folders than the app expects to, and FSX does hundreds of file reads each minute, and it screws apps that recognize the difference between XP and Vista/7, to believe they are running under XP.