Author Topic: 2.8.3 update is really slow  (Read 3657 times)

Pirateinparadise

2.8.3 update is really slow
« on: November 06, 2023, 02:08:06 pm »
Most GSX updates take no longer than a couple of minutes. 2.8.3 has been running for over 30 minutes and the progress bar is only at 23%.

Is 2.8.3 a gigantic update or am I just connected to a slow Cloudfare node? 
The drinking rum on the beach kind. Not the software stealing kind.

mwyatt

Re: 2.8.3 update is really slow
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 02:11:58 pm »
I have to agree, painfully slow at this time, updating for over an hour, and a long way to go.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 02:14:37 pm »
As already discussed, other times, each time there's an update, we use the Release Notes as signal to users it's safe to update. If you don't see the Release Notes yet, it means it's not safe to update, because we are still uploading and, if you do that, you'll end up with a mix-match of old and new files, causing all sort of issues, and you'll have to update again.

So, always wait for the Release notes before updating.

The reason why it's taking a long time, is precisely because you started the update before it was safe to do so.

It's quite complex to explain but, in brief, it's caused by the fact in order to speed up the update of many small files, those are grouped into .ZIP files, but they must match the small files they are related to, which can only happen after the upload is completed so, what is taking so long in your case, is not the update itself, but the small files being "downgraded" to the previous version, because they are not coherent with their grouped and ZIPed version, because the upload is not completed.

It's not a matter of "just" uploading, all updated files must be individually purged from the Cloudflare cache as well.

And if you do it in the middle of an upload, not even all of them would be downgraded so, I really can't tell you which problems you might have, most likely missing textures and/or pink objects, but I guess stopping now or waiting won't make much difference.

Just wait for the release notes to come out, and then update again, that's the only thing that is really safe to do.

Pirateinparadise

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 02:32:24 pm »
I never knew that.

I fire up the installer before I fly every time. If I see a higher version as "the latest", I click update. THEN I read the release notes...

Now I know better.

SuperSixBravo

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 03:11:53 pm »
I'm sorry but that isn't really a good thing!

How about your software not show a later version until it is ready go! Why on earth should we be hunting down Release notes when the software says there is an update! What kind of madness is this? Yes but no but.... Come on! Do better than this. Its not right. Imagine if Windows Update did this!

You must be able to tell your updater not to show updates until it is ready to download?

f.skywalker

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 03:23:42 pm »
Every release i read before the changelog.
Today i press update before read the changlog.
After some time i stop the installation. the installation was not ready.
is now my gsx chrashed or is a start from the installer help me
 to repair all bad things. The version 2.8.3 is shown in the top of gsx. the installation is stopt by me.  :'(

Thanks Frank
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 03:26:33 pm by f.skywalker »

WebMaximus

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 04:55:39 pm »
I was just about to post about the same thing but realize I'm late to the party.

Like someone else suggested, having FSDT Live Update announce there's a new version and offer you to update before the update is ready...seriously...

Have that madness addressed sooner rather than later and luckily I have a proper system image backup I'll be able to restore. Since I like others did the "mistake" to trust the update notification I was given.
Richard Åsberg

aljina

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 04:58:24 pm »
Why is there no OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - 06 Nov 2.8.3

luigipsi

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 05:30:51 pm »
too long update also for me...seems it can't download some files

timothyj6767

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2023, 05:34:23 pm »
well, its 8:33 am PT 11/6/2023 and its still very slow to update . I keep getting timeouts . And the whole website is very slow.

WebMaximus

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 06:19:44 pm »
I noticed the same thing, how also this website is very slow responding.

I just went back to my last backup before I messed up my GSX by trying to apply the latest version and will stay on this version until we have a green light in here from Umberto.
Richard Åsberg

Pirateinparadise

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2023, 06:42:08 pm »
Why is there no OFFLINE installer for the latest updates - 06 Nov 2.8.3

I tried to uninstall and use the install the offline version from 10/23 to get back to where I started but it did not work. I somehow ended up with version 2.7.6 installed. No idea why...

I'm gonna uninstall again and wait for the release notes to change. 

badwulf

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2023, 06:59:06 pm »
Mine has been running for 6 hours and still hasn't finished. I'm re-running it. Brutal slow. It's extremely irritating as now GSX is broken as some files aren't on the server or the mirror. 🙄
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 07:03:19 pm by badwulf »

Wothan

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2023, 08:37:05 pm »
Yeah and now server is closed down due to service.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2023, 08:41:56 pm »
Why are you still reporting the server being slow? I already explained why it is like that, I'll repeat it again:

As already discussed, other times, each time there's an update, we use the Release Notes as signal to users it's safe to update. If you don't see the Release Notes yet, it means it's not safe to update, because we are still uploading and, if you do that, you'll end up with a mix-match of old and new files, causing all sort of issues, and you'll have to update again.

So, always wait for the Release notes before updating.

The reason it's taking a long time is precisely because you started the update before it was safe to do so.

It's quite complex to explain but, in brief, it's caused by the fact in order to speed up the update of many small files, those are grouped into .ZIP files, but they must match the small files they are related to, which can only happen after the upload is completed so, what is taking so long in your case, is not the update itself, but the small files being "downgraded" to the previous version, because they are not coherent with their grouped and ZIPed version, because the upload is not completed.

It's not a matter of "just" uploading, all updated files must be individually purged from the Cloudflare cache as well.

And if you do it in the middle of an upload, not even all of them would be downgraded so, I really can't tell you which problems you might have, missing textures and/or pink objects, but I guess stopping now or waiting won't make much difference.

In addition to that, if you start the Update now, a new Updater is online, which will prevent updates if an update is still being deployed, with a clear message alerting that and suggesting coming back later, so it won't happen again that you could start an update before it's ready, with no need to know you had to check the Release Notes first.