Author Topic: GSX Pro Jesus Syndrome  (Read 1137 times)

Moridin

GSX Pro Jesus Syndrome
« on: July 16, 2023, 11:10:25 am »
Dear Umberto,

Aircraft using GSX Pro have been behaving very badly on VATSIM since GSX Pro came out. I have been patiently watching this floating-Jesus-walking-on-water phenomenon for months now, but it has gained new heights after the latest update (see first screenshot).

All aircraft using GSX Pro in MSFS behave weirdly on VATSIM. GSX for P3D is fine. BetterPushBack for XP11/12 is also OK. So are all other pushback tools for MSFS.

When can expect this to be fixed, so aircraft stop doing wheelies, stoppies, breaching like humpback whales (A310) or floating in the air while being pushed back?

Best regards,

Everyone on VATSIM

Moridin

Re: GSX Pro Jesus Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 11:16:46 am »
More screenshots from our community...

Moridin

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 09:14:08 pm »
People are actually waiting for this to be fixed before they buy GSX Pro...

zebraleet

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 05:33:28 pm »
It's been mentioned in another thread. Umberto believes it's a vPilot issue. Please add your voice here:

https://forum.vatsim.net/t/strange-ai-pushback-behaviour-pitch/1842

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 06:01:37 pm »
People are actually waiting for this to be fixed before they buy GSX Pro...

The mistake here is assuming is something that should or even COULD be fixed by GSX, when:

- The problem doesn't happen with default multiplayer, ONLY with vPilot.

- GSX doesn't know anything about the network, it doesn't transmit any data, it doesn't even know you are running on a network.

The one that recreates the airplane on the other side of the network is vPilot, and I guess it does it by reading the airplane latitude, longitude, altitude, pitch, bank and heading that has been transmitted over Simconnect.

Clearly, the data set locally by GSX can't be wrong, otherwise users would see the problem locally as well. What happens to that data after GSX set it, is completely outside our control, how it's transmitted and interpreted is nothing we have any influence over. We just set some variables over the user airplane, and that's it. What to do with this data, it's up to vPilot.

As I already posted several times when asked, my GUESS is that vPilot developers haven't realized something CHANGED in the way the airplane pitch is handled in MSFS Simconnect compared to FSX/P3D.

We don't know if this was a bug or an intentional change, we only know (for sure), that if we try to set the airplane pitch, (which we only do with a towbarless tug and if the airplane profile specifies "Pushback Raise") in the same way as we did in FSX/P3D, the value would be completely off, the unit of measure is not the same, as if radians and degrees are exchanged or not what they seem and again, we don't know if it's a bug or an undocumented change. The only thing sure is, the airplane pitch variable works DIFFERENTLY in MSFS.

So, again, my GUESS is that vPilot software, when receiving the pitch variable from the network, is interpreting it in the same way as FSX/P3D, which will result in values completely off. I don't know why the problem happens only when GSX start pushing, maybe they are detecting something like the airplane on ground or not that is linked to the fact we freeze the airplane while pushing, so for some reason it triggers an assumption the airplane is no longer on ground, so it need to be controlled in pitch as well, and PITCH HAS CHANGED.

Again, that's only by guess, but perfectly explains why GSX works with vPilot in FSX/P3D.

Moridin

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 09:06:59 pm »
Toolbar Pushback also lifts the nose and doesn't cause these issues on VATSIM via vPilot. Perhaps you could speak to the developer of that addon and compare notes?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 01:26:02 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 01:34:43 pm »
Toolbar Pushback also lifts the nose and doesn't cause these issues on VATSIM via vPilot. Perhaps you could
speak to the developer of that addon and compare notes?

Toolbar Pushback uses the default MSFS pushback system, which doesn't freeze the airplane, but since GSX is fully custom, it needs to freeze the airplane so its own custom physic won't clash with the MSFS own ground handling physic.

So, again, since the problem doesn't happen with default Multiplayer and happens ONLY with vPilot, it's clear fact the airplane is frozen somewhat confuses vPilot but NOT the standard Multiplayer, and I already provided (several times by now) the explanation why the pitch might been read incorrectly by vPilot, because it *changed* in Simconnect from FSX/P3D, that's only a guess and my reference to the fact we noticed it while working on raising the airplane, doesn't have any relationship with the fact "raising the airplane" is the cause ( if it was, it wouldn't happen when using a Towbar truck ), it was added JUST to explain when we noticed the change.

Standard Multiplayer doesn't use Simconnect to receive data, that might explain why the data which started in GSX clearly correct ( it it wasn't, it would be wrong in standard Multiplayer as well ), get interpreted wrong on the other side, because on the other side there's a software in between (vPilot), which is clearly getting data and using it in a way we cannot possibly know.