Author Topic: GSX not finding an afcad path but everything works?  (Read 1136 times)

krake802

GSX not finding an afcad path but everything works?
« on: April 08, 2023, 04:13:50 pm »
Hello,

I know the title sounds confusing however I plan to release this config, hence the needing help.

So, usually in the .ini file, GSX will search for an "afcad_path = " file to the scenery's .BGL file. However, using gatwick's freeware (link below) scenery, it works normal but as you can see below, in the "[general]" area, it doesn't search for anything.

I've tried to do this manually too, but it then just doesn't work. Seems to only work for me if I leave it blank.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gatwick scenery = https://flightsim.to/file/5784/gatwick-egkk-ultra-star-edition-phase-1-0

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX not finding an afcad path but everything works?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 08:21:26 pm »
GSX doesn't read or search or use the airport AFCAD anymore. Since SU12, the usage of the Navdata API is always enabled, which means there's no need to read, search, use, or be worried by which .BGL is in use.

GSX will get data about the airport from Simconnect directly, and won't even know where it's coming from. Since the Navdata is in use, anything you have in the afcad_path line ( if you have an old profile made before the Navdata ), will be completely ignored.

The manual has a more detailed explanation about the relationship between the Navdata and the profiles at Page 87.

krake802

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 08:14:40 am »
Perfect, thank you for your reply. Great to hear users might not need to edit the path anymore as in the past sometimes it faulted.

Just another question, in the past, you could place the .ini file in the scenery folder of the scenery. - Can this still be the case or does it specifically have to be placed in %appdata%\Roaming\virtuali\GSX\MSFS?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 12:22:06 am »
Great to hear users might not need to edit the path anymore as in the past sometimes it faulted.

Users *never* had to edit any path, even before, when the .BGL was in use.

It was a myth spread by some (wrong) instructions in some profiles whose authors apparently failed to understand the explanation in the manual that, in order to simplify sharing of profiles, the full path was never taken into account, and the only thing that mattered was just the filename of the .BGL, as long it matched the .BGL loaded, the rest of the path didn't count.

in the past, you could place the .ini file in the scenery folder of the scenery. - Can this still be the case or does it specifically have to be placed in %appdata%\Roaming\virtuali\GSX\MSFS?

You suspected it correctly: you can't do that anymore, profiles will only be read from the %appdata%\virtuali\GSX\MSFS  folder ( BTW %APPDATA% is a shortcut for \Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming, no need to add Roaming again if use %APPDATA% ), and this is a side effect of the fact GSX doesn't go into the Community anymore to search for files.

The manual explains this, Page 87.

krake802

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 12:05:18 pm »
Interesting you mention about this, as it seems UK2000 scenery works fine for placing the GSX airport .ini file in the airport's scenery folder but having the path named just the scenery's .BGL file that it's reading.

I have 2 of UK2000's files reading this which other users use and experience no problems. - Is this just luck? Or has it stuck like that from previous versions compared to the new way of it not needing a path line and just stays inside %appdata%\virtuali\GSX\MSFS?

Copper

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 11:55:29 pm »
Or has it stuck like that from previous versions
Profiles that have the afcad_path in them will keep it, but GSX ignores it.
Profiles *created* (new) with the navdata turned on (manually since SU10 or automatically since SU12) won't have the afcad_path at all.

But in any case, you can delete it, it has no purpose and no effect whatsoever as Umberto explained. Just ignore it.