Author Topic: How to Get GSX Pro Working for MSFS 2020 in Non-admin Account  (Read 2162 times)

RichardV

How to Get GSX Pro Working for MSFS 2020 in Non-admin Account
« on: December 16, 2022, 04:18:59 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Just been reading the problems people are having with getting GSX Pro working when trying to install it under an account other than an Administrator account.

Just as a recap, people have been finding that attempting to install with a  non-admin account tends to cause GSX to start in Trial Mode only. When trying to get round this by running GSX as an Admin after it has been installed, other errors have been caused.

I have found a solution that has worked for me and I present it below. For those who are technically more able, I shall outline the basic steps below. For those who are not quite so technically knowledgable, I have attached a detailed, step-by-step guide.

Outline Steps (For the more technically minded and.or impatient):

1. Completely uninstall GSX Pro (including any folders for profiles etc).
2. Make your non-admin user a member of the Administrators group in Windows.
3. Reboot and then re-install GSX Pro under your non-admin account (do not run as administrator!)
4. Remove your non-admin user from the Administrators group in Windows
5. IMPORTANT: Whenever running the installer for any reason, repeat steps 2 and 4!

For Everyone Else:

1. Download the attached text file (Full Install Procedure.txt) and follow the steps in the exact order given.

Just be aware that you will need to use your Windows user name to replace where MYUSER is mentioned.

I'll check in from time to time to see if anyone needs any support. Just leave any questions in this topic.

Good luck!

RichardV

tbaac

Re: How to Get GSX Pro Working for MSFS 2020 in Non-admin Account
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 09:22:44 am »
Thanks for this, it got me up and running after a few months of it not working.
Not an ideal solution obviously, but a really useful tip, thanks  :)

RichardV

Re: How to Get GSX Pro Working for MSFS 2020 in Non-admin Account
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 11:19:00 am »
Hi @tbaac. Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad it helped!
You're right, it isn't an ideal solution and isn't very elegant, but it does work  ;). As @virtuali has mentioned elsewhere, some people like to leave their user as an administrator to avoid having to switch back and forth whenever updating GSX Pro or having to change settings. I personally prefer not to do this for security reasons.
Enjoy using GSX after having to be patient for so long!  :)
Richard