Author Topic: FSDT installer and GSX pro  (Read 1550 times)

rayg1022

FSDT installer and GSX pro
« on: October 18, 2022, 09:11:39 pm »
Good morning,

I keep using FSDT installer to update GSX Pro, once finished and I keep hitting the update button and it just keeps updating with no end in sight? It doesn't say you have no new updates. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 12:17:18 am by rayg1022 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDT installer and GSX pro
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 08:10:30 am »
I keep hitting the update button and it just keeps updating with no end in sight?

It keeps updating because YOU asked to update by clicking the button, so it's just doing what you are telling it to do!

Fact is, you shouldn't consider the "Update" button to be an indication an update is available, something that might eventually go off if you don't need an update. That's not what it does, what the Update button really means is "Check for updates and update what is required and/or download what's missing", but that wouldn't fit the button so, it just say "Update".

Which means, the button is always available and it's not by any means an indication of the availability of updates.

And, as explained in the Sticky thread about the latest release notes, SOME files ( Airport Services, Jetway replacements and Custom profiles for FSDT airports ) are MEANT to be always downloaded, because we found out that, since these are thousands of very small files that compress very efficiently, it was way faster to just redownload them each time, rather than individually checking every single file of their set and download only what's necessary: the check *itself* took way more time than the download.

rayg1022

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 05:11:20 pm »
Wow! That's a mouth full a little confused but ty, like everything else phones, video cards, computers when you hit update or accidently hit update it goes out and checks and says you're all up to date! So are you telling me I shouldn't hit the update button for this program? Should I wait until I here about a new update from GSX to hit that update button? TIA
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 05:23:16 pm by rayg1022 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 06:23:30 pm »
like everything else phones, video cards, computers when you hit update or accidently hit update it goes out and checks and says you're all up to date!

Sure, most updaters works that way but, because they usually update something like an app, which comes with an embedded version that is very easy to check and always changes so, it's quite simple to just check the version of a single .EXE, and tell if you are updated or not, depending on that. And most apps like that, are even enclosed in a single package that has its own version check which is usually tied to the store the app is bought from.

However, GSX is not "just" an .EXE. The code runs inside an .EXE, but it's not "the" EXE, because the code itself is not even in the .exe, which is just a custom interpreter for the Python language most of GSX is written with, it's spread over hundreds of separate python files, with any one of them possibly requiring an update and the whole behavior of the program might change dramatically even if the version of the .EXE didn't change.

But that's just the code. What makes GSX a "product" are thousands of files for models, objects, textures, config files, sounds, etc. all of them, together, makes a complete installation so, how else you can possibly say you have the latest "version", unless you check EVERY FILE, ONE BY ONE ?

Which, of course, it's exactly how the updater works. It checks all files, one by one, and will download something that results being outdated, or missing. So, the way to know if you have the "latest version" is simply noticing it doesn't download anything new. Anything other than THOSE files indicated to always be downloaded, for the performance reasons already explained.

So are you telling me I shouldn't hit the update button for this program? Should I wait until I here about a new update from GSX to hit that update button?

Nowhere I said you "shouldn't" hit the update button. I only said you shouldn't assume, just because you were allowed to hit the update button as many times are you want, the updater is "keeps updating", because that's not what it does.

Maybe you missed the part about *some* files always supposed to be downloaded, but what is really doing is just that: "hit update it goes out and check", it simply doing it in a way more reliable way that other updaters you might have used, because instead of checking only some key files, it checks *ALL* of them, so we can be reasonably sure the WHOLE product is really updated, NOT just the crucial files used as in the version check.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 06:26:08 pm by virtuali »

rayg1022

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 12:07:10 am »
How do you know what version you have of GSX pro?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 11:53:22 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 12:01:22 pm »
How do you know what version you have of GSX pro?

It's extremely easy, and the answer was both in my first post and in the Sticky thread with the latest Release notes:

Do you see files OTHER than the ones already indicated ( Airport Services, Jetway replacements and profiles for FSDT airports ) being downloaded ?

- If YES, you didn't had the latest version, so it's now updating them.

- If NO, you DO have the latest version.

gibson94

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 04:55:53 pm »
Je ne comprends pas car pratiquement tous les jours je suis obligé de relancer FSDT Live update suite à un message dans P3d V5?
Autrement tout fonctionne parfaitement
Si vous avez un cas semblable ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 10:44:45 am »
Je ne comprends pas car pratiquement tous les jours je suis obligé de relancer FSDT Live update suite à un message dans P3d V5?

First, this forum is English only so, as a curtesy to all other users, you are required to use English to post here. Also, please be more specific what do you mean with "message" in P3D V5.