Author Topic: Description for non-ascii characters in the username  (Read 892 times)

core1450

Description for non-ascii characters in the username
« on: August 31, 2022, 06:19:45 pm »
Dear admin,
please give us a detailed description of how the software works with non-ascii characters in the username. I can't use the program and waiting for an update to come, it just can't be.
I'm sure I'm not the only one.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Description for non-ascii characters in the username
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 07:02:41 pm »
please give us a detailed description of how the software works with non-ascii characters in the username.

I'll try that but, be aware you must do it entirely right, otherwise you'll risk messing up your MSFS completely.

- Create a new folder that will hold all your MSFS content, if you already have MSFS on C: drive, it's best to create it on C: so the subsequent move should be reasonably quick. Moving across two different drives will be much slower.

In this example, create an empty folder on C: and call it MSFS, like this:

C:\MSFS

- Go into your Packages folder, which by default is located here:

MS Store version:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages

Steam version:
%APPDATA%\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages

You should see both the Community and the Official folder in there. You need to move them both to the new folder you created, I suggest doing it one at a time, and the easiest way is to:

- right-click the folder you want to move, and select Cut

- Go back to the C:\MSFS folder you created before, enter inside it and, right-click again on the BLANK area of the folder (it's empty, so it should be blank if you enter it) and select Paste

- Assuming you started with the Official folder, you should now see all files/folders being moved here, fairly quickly.

- When it's done, do the same for the Community folder

- Finally, open this file with Notepad:

MS Store version:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\USERCFG.OPT

Steam version:
%APPDATA%\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\USERCFG.OPT

- Go to the Last line, which says

InstalledPackagesPath ( long path here indicating the previous install location )

- Change it to show your new location, like this:

InstalledPackagesPath "C:\MSFS"

IMPORTANT, don't forget the space between the InstalledPackagesPath and the path and don't forget the double quotes around the path.