Author Topic: Any cance to change how liveupdate delivers files? **UPDATE**  (Read 3945 times)

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
Any cance to change how liveupdate delivers files? **UPDATE**
« on: August 26, 2017, 10:13:07 pm »

I really do like the way how live update now works for the most part, but I have one MAJOR gripe. Everytime I run the live update, it wipes out my custom airport file and replaces it with a default one and no it doesn't back them up either. I work very hard to keep my airport files updated and customized to how I want it, but as it is now I have to go back through each FSDT airport folder and copy back in my saved airport files while removing the ones the updater just added.

Maybe if the updater could be set to search for and replace files with the same filenames or to ask if I want new afcads like it used to. There has to be a better way.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:17:33 am by virtuali »

sticky1202

Re: Any cance to change how liveupdate delivers files?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 01:25:18 pm »
I'll second that. Maybe a way to exclude updating the AFCAD files unless it's a critical update.

Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 09:40:35 am »
it wipes out my custom airport file and replaces it with a default one and no it doesn't back them up either.

Yes, it does a backup, but only if your custom AFCAD was named exactly the same as the FSDT one. If you named it differently, it will find an "extraneous" file, so it will just delete it.

Naming a custom AFCAD like the FSDT one is what you are supposed to do anyway because, if you don't, you will lose the GSX customization we made for it, which includes some things you cannot do with the GSX editor.

If you name your custom AFCAD like the FSDT one, it WILL be backed up during a Live Update, and you find it in the "backup" subfolder of the scenery.

Maybe if the updater could be set to search for and replace files with the same filenames or to ask if I want new afcads like it used to. There has to be a better way.

As already discussed in this thread:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,15922.msg114264.html#msg114264

You can prevent a folder to be updated, by creating a file named DONTUPDATE in its folder. This way, that folder will be skipped by the Live Update.

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 10:32:34 am »
  Lol, I've learned my lesson's over the years to know better than to leave the file names as they were. Of course, I'm not going to name them exactly the same as the FSDT one. Thankfully I also know that I can edit the GSX customization file to work better with my own setup.

As per the "DONTUPDATE" that isn't located anywhere in the GSX manual, it's not that I don't want my airport scenery updated, it's more that I don't want my custom airport file messed with.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:17:26 am »
Of course, I'm not going to name them exactly the same as the FSDT one.

That's precisely the issue, if you use a different name for your own custom AFCAD, the update will consider it as an "redundant" file, since it's on your system, but not on our server, so it will just remove it.

The issue is, sometimes as part of an update, we must remove files too so, it will be very complex trying to sort out which files were ours to remove, and which files were added by the user (in order to backup them), because we would have to keep an history of all files we ever distributed, even when there are not needed anymore.

If, instead, you use the same name of the FSDT one, it will be backed up. And, using the same filename, will not lose you the full GSX customization.

Thankfully I also know that I can edit the GSX customization file to work better with my own setup.

The issue is, the GSX customization you can do from the GSX user interface is not as complete as what we can do with our code so, you want to start with our baseline and improve on that, but in order to do that, the AFCAD filename must match.

As per the "DONTUPDATE" that isn't located anywhere in the GSX manual, it's not that I don't want my airport scenery updated, it's more that I don't want my custom airport file messed with.

It's not officially documented, because I still believe you want to have the AFCAD updated and yours backup so, you can decide if you want to retrofit your changes to our new file or not, depending on what you did.

In any case, we updated the Updater today, so you'll see an alert if the AFCAD is going to be overwritten, offering you a choice. If you choose to update, it will be backed up, otherwise it won't do anything, but it will still update the rest of the files in the scenery folder if needed (unless you made a DONTUPDATE file). But you must use the FSDT name for your AFCAD, otherwise your additional file will be removed.

sticky1202

Re: Any cance to change how liveupdate delivers files? **UPDATE**
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 01:18:42 pm »
Thank you for this!

Jim

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
Re: Any cance to change how liveupdate delivers files? **UPDATE**
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:53:47 pm »
 Thank you Umberto, VERY much appreciated!

The big problem I have at YVR, for instance, is that I have done so much work on it that retro fitting the newer afcad would take I'd estimate 6-8 hours.