Author Topic: GSX Sound Not Working  (Read 2997 times)

canadagoose

GSX Sound Not Working
« on: February 13, 2017, 05:54:50 pm »
Virtuali to the point Post:
"Please don't post a totally unrelated problem in a thread that doesn't have anything to do with it. Open a new thread with the proper subject." So, here is my NEW thread:

Partially Copied from my "This is Not Good..." Thread:

..."Also, installed GSX. Went into settings "Audio". The drop down does not seem to be working. I can see my Realtek audio sound device but I cannot click on it, it won't let me choose. so, I am stuck with no audio in the GSX settings". Installed, reinstalled several times, still no luck. No problems with GSX for years until recent problems arose with version 1.9 whatever. I have latest drivers installed as well. Sound is OK with other apps. So let's start with GSX being the problem first and then work back from there. Maybe there was something in the installer that is not allowing my sound device to be recognized by GSX anymore. Oh, and I should mention that yes,  my Norton Antivirus is set to Trust the Couatl, GSX etc. folders on my system, so no interference there.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:45:49 pm by canadagoose »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Sound Not Working
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 09:25:11 am »
Nothing has changed in the audio part of GSX for years. But since it uses OpenAL, there might be a problem with OpenAL support in your audio drivers, which might have been changed/updated in the meantime, maybe with a Windows update.

Have you tried restarting Windows ?

canadagoose

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 05:07:37 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. I'm just a layman with this, but just wondering, is OpenAL only for developers use such as yourself? If not, is there something I can do at my end to rectify this situation such as downloading and installing certain drivers and or other files? Do these files reside in for example, the "system32" folder? I'm not sure when and what Windows update may or may not have affected my system.

canadagoose

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 07:49:48 pm »
Going through past posts on the subject, I am going to take that advice, download and install latest Windows drivers for the Realtek audio hardware on my system and see how that works. I also looked in the system32 folder and noticed there is only a opencl.dll file. I do not see a openal file. I will report back on the outcome.

canadagoose

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 10:58:11 pm »
Not sure if this related, but after installing new audio drivers Couatl will not start, but gives an error message about an unknown application. See my latest thread "couatl not starting".