Author Topic: The addon "JFK" is outdated  (Read 4690 times)

jimmynes

The addon "JFK" is outdated
« on: August 21, 2015, 04:14:00 pm »
The addon "JFK" is outdated

Please download and install the latest stand-alone
addon manager.

Ever since I installed the latest addon manager I keep getting this message when loading a flight???

Any help apreciated.

JFK version 1 in case you're wondering!

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Re: The addon "JFK" is outdated
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 05:42:37 pm »
I think the only current updates are to version 2... you'll probably always see that until you buy version 2.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

jimmynes

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 05:47:53 pm »
I already own version 2 but I prefer to use version 1.

I'm sure there is another answer to this.

I did pay for it after all!!!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 11:04:01 am »
I already own version 2 but I prefer to use version 1.

This doesn't really make any sense. V1 is 30% worse fps, as tested here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,8498.msg69304.html#msg69304

And, JFK V1 doesn't have 3d taxi bridges and doesn't work well under DX10. What's your reason to use JFK V1 ?

I'm sure there is another answer to this. I did pay for it after all!!!

As the message says, it seems you are running an outdated version of JFK V1 so, the first thing to try (other than using the JFK V2 you said you bought, which would be the far more sensible choice), is to download and install the current version of JFK V1, not some older installer you might have.

Another possible reason of this message, could be you have one of the Ray Smith's AFCAD files for JFK ? They might cause such problem.

In any case, the "JFK V1 outdated" message doesn't have any relationship with the availability of JFK V2. They are entirely separate products, and you are obviously free to use JFK V1 (but DON'T, please...), it's not as if we are trying to forcing you to update to V2 by displaying that message!

jimmynes

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:51:53 pm »
Excuse me for being absent.

Frame Rates aren't a problem for me in either version.

I use version 1 because you can see ai traffic shadows on the ground
and their wheels dont sink into the ground a little bit, like version 2.
Also, when looking out the cockpit window in version 2, the ground image
just seems too blurry and distorted for me. "No offence intended".

Secondly VIRTUALI, I don't need to be told how SENSIBLE I am.

I'll try a freshly downloaded copy of version 1 and see does this help.
More than likely won't, because the one I am using is only a recent  re-download.
If I was to modify the afcad myself, which I have done, would this make any difference??

Be back in a while.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:10:50 pm by jimmynes »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 11:48:32 pm »
Also, when looking out the cockpit window in version 2, the ground image
just seems too blurry and distorted for me. "No offence intended".

The source ground image has exactly the SAME resolution as JFK V1. HOWEVER, one of the things that improves fps, is to divide the SAME source image into LESS 4096x4096 textures, instead of MANY 1024x1024. It's exactly the same data, but with less larger textures.

Which means, if you don't set the texture size in the Addon Manager to 4096 ( the JFK V2 installer will set it for you, but if you change that settings afterwards, it's best to put it back at 4096 ), the texture quality will be LOWERED compared to how it was supposed to look like.

Because, we used larger textures, at the SAME resolution, only for performances reasons, not to get ultra-HD quality (you'll have the same quality as JFK V1, but *only* at 4096 texture size setting), which would have been bad for memory anyway.

Secondly VIRTUALI, I don't need to be told how SENSIBLE I am.

You are using JFK as it were in 2008. And are wasting your fps too, and you bought JFK V2...and you should learn to use it properly. So, at least, wait for the explanations, before making an "informed" decision.

jimmynes

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 12:53:56 am »
The source ground image has exactly the SAME resolution as JFK V1. HOWEVER, one of the things that improves fps, is to divide the SAME source image into LESS 4096x4096 textures, instead of MANY 1024x1024. It's exactly the same data, but with less larger textures.

Which means, if you don't set the texture size in the Addon Manager to 4096 ( the JFK V2 installer will set it for you, but if you change that settings afterwards, it's best to put it back at 4096 ), the texture quality will be LOWERED compared to how it was supposed to look like.

Because, we used larger textures, at the SAME resolution, only for performances reasons, not to get ultra-HD quality (you'll have the same quality as JFK V1, but *only* at 4096 texture size setting), which would have been bad for memory anyway.

You are using JFK as it were in 2008. And are wasting your fps too, and you bought JFK V2...and you should learn to use it properly. So, at least, wait for the explanations, before making an "informed" decision.

Already understood and all entirely moot.

I only started having this problem with the latest addon manager update
so it's clearly no fault of my own.

A more constructive response would be very much appreciated !!!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 02:24:14 pm »
Already understood and all entirely moot.

Agreed. There has been TWO issues discussed here:

- The fact that, after purchasing JFK V2, it wouldn't make any sense to use V1, that's one issue that was interesting to discuss and you probably didn't know all the facts (hence your reference from the supposedly blurred ground textures), so it was worth pointing it out

- The message of the "Addon JFK is outdated" error message, which is an entirely different issue. Even if you shouldn't (but just because you already bought the vastly superior V2), using JFK V1, even after having purchased JFK V2 is entirely supported and it works.

I checked the JFK V1 installer that is online now, and the problem doesn't happen so, it seems you are not only using JKF V1, but an outdated version of it so, as the message says, be sure you installed the current version of the JFK V1 installer.

jimmynes

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 05:28:07 pm »
Ok downloaded a fresh installer. It failed to install twice but after uninstalling the addon manager
and reinstalling again after the scenery, all seems to be ok.