Author Topic: AVSIM?  (Read 5641 times)

CX 747-400

• Beta tester
AVSIM?
« on: March 06, 2014, 08:23:10 pm »
Is anyone else having issues accessing AVSIM? I haven't been able to access there page in several days, and I have tried on several devises.
Jonathan

A part of the Flight Sim world since 1983
-----------------------
MS Windows 10 64bit Home / Intel Kaby Lake i7 @4.2 / ASUS MAX IX Hero Motherboard /Corsair DDR4 16.00G Ram /Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Re: AVSIM?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 10:46:40 pm »
Is anyone else having issues accessing AVSIM? I haven't been able to access there page in several days, and I have tried on several devises.

They had a hard drive crash. More info at link below and a quote from Tom Allensworth.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?275787-Avsim-03-05-2014

"Folks,
We have had a hard drive fail. It happens that it is the principle (boot / system drive) for the forums. We are offline until we can get new hardware and get someone in there to fix it. It could be a while. This is not your normal hard drive. It is a RAID array and will require that we replace ALL six disks on that array. Please pass the word out to all the web sites you visit please. I will post a notice on FACEBOOK."

CX 747-400

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 10:59:19 pm »
Thank you for your reply. Maybe it is just me, but it seems to me that the new AVSIM is much slower and less reliable than what they had before they were hacked.
Jonathan

A part of the Flight Sim world since 1983
-----------------------
MS Windows 10 64bit Home / Intel Kaby Lake i7 @4.2 / ASUS MAX IX Hero Motherboard /Corsair DDR4 16.00G Ram /Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

B777ER

Re:
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 03:10:34 am »
Avsim for some reason seems to be running  on band-aid's as of late. They can't keep access via Tapatalk, the website mobile version looks like crap on most people's phones, forum's run slow 80% of the time, 503 errors when trying to access the site , etc... Tom takes offense to anyone who mentions anything about it. I know it's a money issue but something needs to be done.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG G2
Eric

bradl

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 07:17:40 pm »

They had a hard drive crash. More info at link below and a quote from Tom Allensworth.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?275787-Avsim-03-05-2014

"Folks,
We have had a hard drive fail. It happens that it is the principle (boot / system drive) for the forums. We are offline until we can get new hardware and get someone in there to fix it. It could be a while. This is not your normal hard drive. It is a RAID array and will require that we replace ALL six disks on that array. Please pass the word out to all the web sites you visit please. I will post a notice on FACEBOOK."

This implies that they were using RAID 0. Not a good idea at all for a website without having some major backup procedures in place. The bonus to RAID 0 is that it maximizes all of your space into one huge drive. The problem there is that if you lose one drive in RAID 0, you lose the entire array.

If anything, they should have gone RAID 1 for the boot drive, and if they need the most space, RAID 5 for the other 4 drives.

Hard lesson to learn. The good news though is that their library is unaffected: http://library.avsim.net

BL.