Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Compatibility issue?  (Read 8401 times)

austellflyer

Windows 8.1 Compatibility issue?
« on: December 24, 2013, 10:41:12 pm »
Hello and thanks in advance or your attention on this matter. to make a long story short. the trial version of GSX is not working with my desktop that is running windows 8.1. I've spent hours reading and trying many suggestions on this forum page but have been unsuccessful in finding a solution. To ensure it wasn't my own oversight, I've downloaded and run it on the first attempt on my laptop which has a windows 7 operating system. I've disabled my anti virus which happens to be McAfee during download and install, I've opened FSX folders and verified that they did install and even get a message that the install was successful but when I spawn at KSFO, and press CTRL + F12, the menu that I see on my laptop, doesn't appear on my desktop. I am very excited about purchasing the software but, the Desktop is a computer that I bought specifically for my basement simpit. Other addons seem to work fine such as many Saitek peripherals, Vatsim, and FS2 Crew to name a few but GSX on this desktop has given me a fit and I'm totally stumped at this point. Any new insightful information would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 8.1
ZT Systems
Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz  3.90 GHz
Installed Memory (Ram) 16.0 GB
64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Windows 8.1 Compatibility issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 11:15:00 pm »
I've disabled my anti virus which happens to be McAfee during download and install

As explained many times already, disabling the antivirus is not enough, you should do as follows:

- Disable the antivirus during the DOWNLOAD and INSTALLATION

- BEFORE turning it back on, configure it to exclude the following files from scanning

\YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
\YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

- THEN you can finally turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX

- Be sure you have the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu.

austellflyer

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 01:59:06 am »
And as I EXPLAINED ALREADY that I've followed these EXACT instructions that you have stated and they are not working. It seems you are annoyed by my question of which I have explained, in detail that I have already tried this solution. As a matter of fact I read this and followed is EXACTLY as it is printed. It is clear that you have NOT read my entire post and merely posted a quick response without giving it any honest thought. Moving forward, do you have any INTELLIGIBLE advise? If this response is any indication of what support will be like then, I should reconsider buy ANY product from you company and pass the word.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 09:34:39 pm »
And as I EXPLAINED ALREADY that I've followed these EXACT instructions that you have stated and they are not working

But that's now what you said:

I've disabled my anti virus which happens to be McAfee during download and install

Nowhere in your message there was any indication you ALSO did the OTHER needed part of the antivirus configuration, which is excluding such files from scanning, THAT'S why I indicated to do so, not obviously because I was "annoyed", but because it was the only correct answer according to your report. You might have *done* that, we you haven't *said* you have.

Now, follow THIS procedure, to the letter:

- Uninstall GSX. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall GSX with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- NOTE if you ARE being asked permission to run both modules, and of course reply YES.

- Please report if you are NOT being asked permission to run the modules.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu.

austellflyer

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 12:14:42 pm »
Thanks for you guidance but, even with the real time scanning, anti-virus and firewall disabled, during the download and install, it made no difference at all. I tried this as well before posting the first time. Therefore I am reporting that I was not asked permission to run the modules. The "Addon Manager" and nor the "Couatl Powered Products" option is under the Addons menu. I even took these instructions a step further and left the antivirus off when I launched FSX and the results were the same and to take it another step further, I read that you had the same steps posted for VBV109 so I already looked in the list of untrusted publishers and there is nothing there as well. Just wanted to reiterate that I installed this software on a windows 7 computer without any problems what so ever. Both running the same antivirus.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 12:23:24 pm by austellflyer »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 12:20:56 pm »
Therefore I am reporting that I was not asked permission to run the modules.

If you are absolutely sure you did *all* steps, especially this one, which is the most important (in order to "reset" the trust options in FSX)

Uninstall GSX. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

It's possible you might have mistakenly put us in the un-trusted publishers, so nothing signed by us will run.

To verify this, you can go to the Control Panel, under "Internet Options", look for the "Content" tab, there should be an "Publishers" button, that will list the software authors that you trusted, and another tab with untrusted authors. If you see "Virtuali s.a.s", remove it from both tabs (especially if it's under untrusted)

austellflyer

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 12:25:36 pm »
That is correct, I already a step ahead of you. I've been reading all through you forums pages and checked the list of untrusted publishers and yes I did ALL STEP EXACTLY as requested. I guess the next step is to add Virtuali s.a.s to the list of trusted publishers. I'll do that and report back with my results.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 12:38:15 pm by austellflyer »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 12:48:33 pm »
I guess the next step is to add Virtuali s.a.s to the list of trusted publishers. I'll do that and report back with my results.

No, you don't have to. It's important it's NOT on the list of the Untrusted publishers but, if you add it to the list of the Trusted publisher, you would never know if you are not getting the question to authorize modules because you pre-trusted our company, or because there's another kind of problem.

Which is why, I've said to remove it from BOTH tabs, Trusted and Untrusted.

AND, after you do all of this, you must REDO the Uninstall/Reinstall with the "Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine", part.

austellflyer

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 12:49:25 pm »
New findings!!! I've just tried to add the two files to the list of excluded files for McAfee antivirus and when trying to add "bglmanx.dll" file, McAfee pops up with a notice stating "You cannot exclude this item because it's a critical system file folder. Excluding this can cause a serious problem on your PC." When trying to add "/fsdreamteam/couatl/couatl.exe", the file does not exist. I see "couatl" (green icon) and below that, "Couatl_Updater". No actual executable file. I'll check my laptop and to be sure the files are there (which they likely are since it works there) If they are, I'll try and use a flashdrive and copy them to the 8.1 computer, disable the antivirus and try and run the program. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 12:55:40 pm »
New findings!!! I've just tried to add the two files to the list of excluded files for McAfee antivirus and when trying to add "bglmanx.dll" file, McAfee pops up with a notice stating "You cannot exclude this item because it's a critical system file folder. Excluding this can cause a serious problem on your PC."

I was quite sure the problem was caused by a faulty antivirus. You mean you can't tell McAfee to exclude a file you are *sure* it's safe ? If this is the case, I suggest to immediately switch to a different antivirus, one that doesn't have this serious shortcoming, and doesn't mistakenly identify legit products as threats.

For example, the free and always updated MS Security Essentials from Microsoft doesn't require any special configuration to run our products, and doesn't think they are threats in the first place.

We digitally sign all our executables which means, if you don't see the warning from Windows the Publisher is "unknown", you can be sure the file is exactly the same as it's supposed to be, because the digital signature would not be valid anymore if even a single byte was altered, so you know it's safe to use it.

When trying to add "/fsdreamteam/couatl/couatl.exe", the file does not exist. I see "couatl" (green icon) and below that, "Couatl_Updater". No actual executable file.

It's likely the file is not there, because the antivirus has removed it automatically.

I'll check my laptop and to be sure the files are there (which they likely are since it works there) If they are, I'll try and use a flashdrive and copy them to the 8.1 computer, disable the antivirus and try and run the program. I'll keep you updated.

Please, don't do that, it's essentials you are able to install normally, and if you don't sort out your antivirus problem, you will have lots of other problems in the future, for example with automatic updates.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 12:57:22 pm by virtuali »

austellflyer

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 02:24:07 pm »
Well sir, Anti virus was NOT the problem. I inspected my laptop and the very same file is missing. There is no EXE file in the computer> ACER(C:) Program files (x86) Microsoft Games> Microsoft Flight Simulator X> fsdreamteam>couatl folder and the software is running on my windows 7 laptop WITH the same McAfee Antivirus as I am typing this. Here are my exact steps:

1) I uninstalled GSX 
2) I uninstalled the McAfee antivirus (payware)
3) rebooted the computer
4) attempted to install MS essentials but had a warning poped-up stating that my default system supersedes MS essentials
5) turned off the spyware protection, virus protection, and firewall
6) downloaded and save to desktop the GSX program
7) Installed GSX
8) ran FSX (with the spyware protection, virus protection, and firewall all turned off)
9) same EXACT results

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 09:42:08 pm »
Well sir, Anti virus was NOT the problem

It surely was, at least according to YOUR report:

I've just tried to add the two files to the list of excluded files for McAfee antivirus and when trying to add "bglmanx.dll" file, McAfee pops up with a notice stating "You cannot exclude this item because it's a critical system file folder. Excluding this can cause a serious problem on your PC."

I inspected my laptop and the very same file is missing. There is no EXE file in the computer> ACER(C:) Program files (x86) Microsoft Games> Microsoft Flight Simulator X> fsdreamteam>couatl folder and the software is running on my windows 7 laptop WITH the same McAfee Antivirus as I am typing this

The "disappeared .EXE" it's ANOTHER issue, but the problem with excluding bglmanx.dll file WAS surely an antivirus problem. Which leads to believe that, disregarding for a moment why you don't see the Couatl.EXE, if McAfee has SAID it doesn't want to run bglmanx.dll, it's extremely likely it's blocking Couatl.exe to, it's just that, since you can't find it, you don't get a chance to see the same warning from McAfee about that one.

Now, the reason why you can't find the Couatl.exe, might be a simpler one: you don't have the file extension visualization enabled so, Couatl.exe will display just as "Couatl" with an icon resembling a snake.

To enable file visualization of file extensions:

Start Windows Explorer, you can do this by opening up any folder.
Click Organize.
Click Folder and search options.
Click the View tab.
Scroll down until you notice Hide extensions for known file types, un-check this line by clicking the check box.
Click OK

However, if you Uninstalled McAfee, this shouldn't make any difference.

Have you done the Uninstall/Reinstall procedure, after doing this ?

Go to the Control Panel, under "Internet Options", look for the "Content" tab, there should be an "Publishers" button, that will list the software authors that you trusted, and another tab with untrusted authors. If you see "Virtuali s.a.s", remove it from both tabs (especially if it's under untrusted)

austellflyer

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 01:17:08 am »
My earlier "report" was giving you all information on my findings between the two computers. The files between the two are mirror images....one works, the other does not. Which goes back to my initial question and title of this topic asking is there a compatibility issue with windows 8.1? If others are running this using 8.1 then that answers the question. I have no anti virus on the computer, windows firewall off and there is no difference whatsoever. I did uninstall, reboot, redownload, and install as administrator after deleting the antivirus and with firewall off.  I did follow your instructions concerning the executable file and that worked. The green snake is displayed now but the end result is the same. You was not listed as a trusted or untrusted publisher. As a matter of fact no one is, as there are nothing in either area.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 08:56:04 am »
My earlier "report" was giving you all information on my findings between the two computers.

No, you haven't. You only gave a report of the files related to GSX, that would be only useful for you to check if some file that came with GSX was missing/corrupted but, of course, a reinstall would have fixed this, it's not the installer "forgets" to install files, they are supposed to be identical, if you install GSX on two different systems.

The files between the two are mirror images....one works, the other does not.

That would be enough proof the problem is not the files themselves, but something outside of them.

Which goes back to my initial question and title of this topic asking is there a compatibility issue with windows 8.1? If others are running this using 8.1 then that answers the question.

If nobody reported it so far, I can only assume that either nobody except you uses GSX + Windows 8.1, which is extremely unlikely, or there are no known incompatibilities, which is far more likely than you being the only GSX user with Windows 8.1. Note that, we clearly indicate Windows 7 as the only supported OS in the GSX Web page. Which means, we'll try to help, but can't guaranteed it will work. That's why we have a Trial version for.

So, assuming it's not the antivirus, you can activate the Simconnect diagnostic mode to see what's wrong with your install:

Open notepad, and copy the following text:

Code: [Select]
[SimConnect]
level=normal
console=1
RedirectStdOutToConsole=1
OutputDebugString=1
; file=c:\simconnect%03u.log
; file_next_index=0
; file_max_index=9

Save the file as SIMCONNECT.INI in this folder:

Documents And Settings\YOUR LOGIN NAME\Documents\Microsoft Flight Simulator X Files

At the next FSX launch, you should see a text window with diagnostic message, that should tell what's going wrong. Let me know what you are getting, so we can have an idea what's happening.

Only the first few lines are important: if the window scrolls too fast, you can use the "Pause" key on the keyboard to pause the scrolling. Post here only the first 10 lines or so of the diagnostic, but it's important you post the first 10 lines.

Eisbahn

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 10:33:56 am »
I am using GSX with Windows 8.1 without any problems.