Author Topic: GSX Pre Purchase Concern  (Read 3014 times)

wingclip

GSX Pre Purchase Concern
« on: November 28, 2013, 02:34:37 am »
Hi Folks,
I’ve been hesitant to buy your products since the very first time I heard of you, but I’ve wanted to buy that GSX program for some time now so here’s what I’m concerned with;

I keep seeing information about some sort of special installer and something about it automatically updating and yada, yada, yada. I’m not a big fan of background programs and do as much as I can to shutdown anything that runs when I don’t want it to.

I handle all my updates myself using a calendar that’ll open and remind me that my Java, Adobe, Windows 7, etc. are due for an update check. In addition, it seems that this “install manager” is unable to be turned off or to be controlled in any significant way by the person whose computer it’s on.

OK, so how close am I? Does anyone who wants to buy any FSDT software have to accept this installer? Unfortunately, I’m afraid that the answer is pretty much, “Yes” but I thought I’d ask to be sure.

These kinds of ‘installers’ tend to really be about slowing down thieves that would try to get around paying for the program more than about installing anything. I happen to have FSX on a (1TB) dedicated HDD and my OS is on a 250GB SSD. The rest of my software, (anything NOT FSX related), is installed on a second (1TB) HDD.

But as I’m sure you know, even when an FSX add-on, (and I have many), is installed on a drive separate from the OS drive, there are still a certain number of files and/or information that’s installed onto the OS drive so that it knows what to do and when to do it.

The problem here is that I’ve got about 80GB left on my OS SSD and these ‘special installers’ tend to install a significant amount of files onto the OS Drive because of this Auto Updating feature.  So even if I install the installer in my FSX Drive I can still lose a given amount of room on the SSD, isn’t that right?

I’m trying to evaluate just how much room on my OS SSD I may lose if I were to buy the GSX program and have to accept the special installer too. Of course, I’d prefer to find out that I was wrong which would be great. But am I?
Thanks, Rich 
Corsair 780T case/ ASUS ROG Maximus XII Formula/ 32GB x 3600MHz RAM/ EVGA SN 1300W PSU/ Intel i9–11900K (5.2GHz)/ RTX-3080 Ti/ EK-Quantum CPU block/ EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite pump/ EK-Quantum Momentum VRM Bridge (fit to ROG Max XII Formula mobo)/ Dual reservoir: 900 mL/ 2 Rads: 240 & 120 mm Psh/Pll

BillS511

Re: GSX Pre Purchase Concern
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 06:57:16 am »
Hi Rich,
You'll run the main GSX setup (gsx_fsx_setup.exe) which is the full installer on the GSX product page. It is about 71Mb in size.
Whenever there is an update for GSX you'll be prompted whether you want to update or ignore. This takes place after your flight loads. Nothing updates without your knowledge. More info below.

Other items required for GSX to run; Addon Manager module, and the Couatl™ Engine module.

I hope it's ok with Mr. Colapicchioni to post excerpts from the manual.

After Install - the Addon Manager module
When you launch Flight Simulator for the first time in FSX, there will be a request to
trust a newly installed module, the Addon Manager, needed by the scenery to work.
There will be two dialog boxes, one generated by Windows, the other by FSX itself.
The Windows-generated dialog box looks like this: ( or slightly differently, depending
on your Windows language )
Indicating the module “Addon Manager for FSX” is Digitally signed by VIRTUALI
s.a.s., so it’s safe to assume is the original one and it hasn’t been tampered or corrupted.
You should allow Windows to execute the module, otherwise the scenery
will not run. If you click the “More Options” arrows, you can allow any software
signed by “VIRTUALI s.a.s” to be automatically trusted. This way, subsequent updates
coming from VIRTUALI will be automatically executed without requesting
confirmation.
After having allowed Windows to trust the module, another similar dialog, this time
coming from FSX will appear:
You should select “Yes” to allow FSX to trust this module. If you select “No”, the
module will run, but this request will be repeated each time you start FSX.

After Install - the Couatl™ Engine module
GSX includes a new external executable module, based on the Python programming
language, that will allow a great amount of interaction between the user
and FSX.

Live Update
GSX has been designed with the capability of being constantly updated. The kind of
product is very suited to evolve: new 3rd party airplanes that require support with
doors configuration and special features, and new 3rd party airports that might need
a specific customization, are being released every day. And of course, with such
complex code that needs interaction with a wide range of addons and user habits,
bugs are always possible.
With the Couatl Live Update, your product will be always fresh without much effort
to check for new versions. The Couatl Live Update also covers other products, from
FSDT and 3rd parties that license the Couatl scripting engine, and can be kept updated
very easily with the same method.
How it works
The Couatl Live Update is integrated in the Couatl engine, and notifications for updates
are both automatic or triggered by the user.
The automatic notification runs once every day. No background tasks are installed,
the notification it’s part of the Couatl engine and runs only with FSX. The system
will check our servers every 24 hours, and if there’s an update, will be shown with a
standard FSX menu.

The menu shows 3 options, allowing to Download and install the update, Read the
release notes or Ignore the update.
If you choose to Ignore the update, there will be no further automatic notifications,
until the NEXT update will be published. But it’s always possible to force an Update
check manually, using the “Check Live Update” option under the “Couatl powered
product” menu under the “Addons” menu of the main FSX menu bar:
Using the “Check Live Update” function, you can check if there’s an update available
without having to wait up 24 hours after it has being published, and get a chance
to download or read about an update that you chose to ignore with the automatic
notification.
The option to Read the list of changes, will launch a mini-browser window (which
works in FSX Full Screen mode too), that contains an updated web page that lists all
the news related to the update.
It’s possible to read the release notes again, by selecting “Check Live Update” again,
even if you already installed the update.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 10:38:58 am »
I keep seeing information about some sort of special installer and something about it automatically updating and yada, yada, yada. I’m not a big fan of background programs and do as much as I can to shutdown anything that runs when I don’t want it to.

There's nothing that runs in the background, and our updater doesn't have anything to do with the other updaters ( like Java, Adobe, etc. ) you mentioned, for the following reasons:

- Our updater DOES NOT run in the background in the Windows OS. It's being launched by FSX and is part of the GSX software code that you have to start in any case. When you exit from FSX, NOTHING from us runs into the background.

- Even when you run FSX, NO background check is made for an update. The check is made ONCE WHEN FSX STARTS, every 24 hours, to see if there's an update. After that, no checks will be made again for that FSX session so, no processing time is wasted checking for updates.

- You don't have to accept to update, although is obviously better if you do, because updates are made for a reason. You don't have to install it when the updater suggest to do, but you can do it later, or ignore the update altogether, until the next one comes.

- The updater checks ONLY for updates. It doesn't care to check your activation online. Your activation is checked online ONLY if you change/upgrade hardware, the activation is entirely separate from the GSX Live Update capability.

- If you are really paranoid about this, and even a single check every 24 hours bothers you, it's still possible to:

1) Change the time interval between update checks

2) Disable the Live Update capability entirely

wingclip

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 02:01:23 am »
First Thank you Very Much Bill51 and Vituali!! I read the manual excerpts that Bill51 listed and coupled that with everything said from you both and I am confident now that I won't be installing bloatware or uncontrollable background programs that run whenever the computer is running.

I have no problem with an update check taking place when FSX is started and in fact, it makes it just that much easier to deal with which of course, is why it has been included with the GSX add-on I'm sure.

But what really sells it for me is to know that I can disable it any time I like if I want to and I don't have to uninstall GSX to do it! I likely wouldn't do that unless I was trouble shooting something and thought disabling it may help in the trouble shooting process somehow.

It's kind of like getting locked in a beautiful mansion; it's still a prison until you have the key in your hand, then it's a 'visit'. ;)

So thanks again all, I'm heading that way.
Rich
Corsair 780T case/ ASUS ROG Maximus XII Formula/ 32GB x 3600MHz RAM/ EVGA SN 1300W PSU/ Intel i9–11900K (5.2GHz)/ RTX-3080 Ti/ EK-Quantum CPU block/ EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite pump/ EK-Quantum Momentum VRM Bridge (fit to ROG Max XII Formula mobo)/ Dual reservoir: 900 mL/ 2 Rads: 240 & 120 mm Psh/Pll