Author Topic: Couatl.exe not starting up when FSX started  (Read 14661 times)

Tobus

Couatl.exe not starting up when FSX started
« on: November 07, 2013, 07:29:01 pm »
Couatl.exe will not load automatically anymore since some automatic updates of addonmanager and couatl.exe when starting FSX, thus not making GSX active.

All is good and activated in addonmanager.
Looking at keymappings, my keymapping for GSX was disappeared.
I can reload couatl.exe via the fsx menubar, making it run and regenerate a scenery library.
But I have to do this after every reload of FSX.

Surely that can't be right?
What I did already:
===
- DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL with the antivirus entirely OFF

- Uninstall the Stand-Alone Addon Manager. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

After some Couatl and fsaddon updates I found out that I could not get GSX to prepare and push back my flight.
I looked in addonmanager: all ok and activated, including GSX.
I looked in keymaps: no GSX keymap to be found  ???

- Reinstall the Stand-Alone Addon Manager with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu.
===

The problem still persists though.
Any other pointers?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl.exe not starting up when FSX started
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 09:25:32 pm »
Couatl.exe will not load automatically anymore since some automatic updates of addonmanager and couatl.exe when starting FSX, thus not making GSX active.

I can reload couatl.exe via the fsx menubar, making it run and regenerate a scenery library.

If you can reload Couatl from the FSX menu, it means your Couatl.exe is starting with FSX. Your issue might just be that the scenery cache creation is failing for some reason.

Enable Logging using the "Troubleshooting" section of the "GSX Settings" menu. After you get a Couatl.LOG file, you can post it here, it will likely indicate what your problem is.

Tobus

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:29:02 pm »
Thanks Umberto, will comply.

Tobus

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 03:09:48 pm »
Log attached

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 11:47:30 pm »
You have several problems, a bit of malformed .BGLs:

Warning: airport LOAN described in multiple BGL files without proper DeleteAirport record
Warning: airport F45 described in multiple BGL files without proper DeleteAirport record
Warning: airport NRC described in multiple BGL files without proper DeleteAirport record

But the most serious one is this one:

MapViewOfFile failed: Not enough storage is available to process this command (system:8) accessing BGL file F:/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Aerosoft/Mallorca X Ground/scenery/mallemitte.bgl, file ignored

MapViewOfFile failed: Not enough storage is available to process this command (system:8) accessing BGL file F:/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Aerosoft/Mallorca X Ground/scenery/mallenord.bgl, file ignored

Which seems to indicate your have exhausted space on one of your disks

And this one also indicates a corrupted file from default scenery:

CreateFileMapping failed because the file has size 0 (system:0) accessing BGL file F:/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Scenery/0702/scenery/giza_image.bgl, file ignored

It's no wonder GSX doesn't work. In fact, it's remarkable that FSX is still running...

Tobus

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 10:59:33 pm »
Strange indeed. Hdd with fsx is half empty.
No other trouble in fsx... thanks, if that's all, i'll look into it and report back here.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 09:25:42 am »
Strange indeed. Hdd with fsx is half empty.

Which is why I've said "one of your disks", not "the FSX disk". Both FSX and Couatl have their scenery caches on your main Windows disk, not in the disk FSX is installed to, so that one is probably close to be empty.

Also, if you are low on memory, and the system needs to enlarge the swap file size while FSX is running, you might end hdd space (again, on the MAIN Windows disk) without realizing it, before it's the swap file size is growing after FSX started.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:52:50 pm by virtuali »

Tobus

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 06:35:50 pm »
Thanks, I understand.

As it is, my main windows disk (only windows + page file) has 30 gigs free, with page file set to 6gigs max.

I replaced the faulty giza_image.bgl, which was indeed 0 size instead of the 17meg it should be.

The other 3 (LOAN, F45, NRC) only appear to be in my Mytraffic2013 folder, nowhere else. I'll leave them for now and try again.
Will report back.

Tobus

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 08:33:46 pm »
Ok, now I'm truly at a loss...

see attached logs.zip.
One is from directly after starting a flight.
GSX did not load, keymappings shows no GSX shortcut key. I copied the log.

Next I restarted couatl.exe. Keymappings now show and log is filled out, but no errors.
The other errors miraculously disappeared without action from myself, except for the told giza.bgl.

So what gives here?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 09:02:36 pm »
The first log shows you still have a scenery file which is probably corrupted, or the folder name itself is corrupted/wrong, possibly a filesystem corruption of some kind.

The second log shows no errors, which seems everything is running normally.

Try to remove the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\Virtuali\Couatl

This will force a complete rebuild of the scenery cache. Do it when FSX is NOT running.

Tobus

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 04:32:18 pm »
Hi,

I did what you asked, with mixed results. Sometimes all runs great when started up. Most of the time though, GSX does not start up, but does so still after manually restarting couatl from the FSX menubar.

See attached logs of one "ok" and one restart situation (before and after).

Tobus

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 09:08:49 am »
Still waiting for your reply.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 09:10:35 am »
I don't have any idea what your problem is, nobody ever reported it so far, and your log doesn't show any errors. The only possible explanation, is some unknown incompatibility with another add-on you have installed, so you can try with disabling every other add-on in your %APPDATA%\FSX\EXE.XML (except Couatl.exe, of course)

ronprice46

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 11:08:59 am »
need someone to help me figure out why the Couatl.exe keeps closing when i start FSX and i cant use GSX or the addon manager and dont know what to do

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 11:19:51 am »
need someone to help me figure out why the Couatl.exe keeps closing when i start FSX and i cant use GSX or the addon manager and dont know what to do

Why you piggybacked on this thread, which was about Couatl not starting automatically with FSX, but otherwise working when started manually ? Is this your problem ? If not, you should open a separate thread about it, not attaching to this one.

Before opening a new thread, check what your problem is. You say: "Couatl.exe keeps closing when i start FSX", does it mean you can see it starts, but it then closes afterwards (when doing what ?), or you mean is not even starting ?