Author Topic: Users with OOM's. A handy tip! --READ!  (Read 6942 times)

Hnla

Users with OOM's. A handy tip! --READ!
« on: August 09, 2013, 09:52:27 pm »
I've been testing lately on OOM's, especially at FSDT CYVR. I've been experimenting with texture sizes... autogen etc.

There is a handy tool in the Addon Manager than allows you to force FSX to use 4096 textures, 2096, or "OFF".

I cannot stress enough the importance of leaving this to "OFF". . Yes I know it's pretty, but I am able to run autogen at "Very Dense", with the PMDG 737NGX at FSDT CYVR with Orbx PNW with no OOM's whatsoever.

I switch the textures to 4096, and Bam! Oom! I really don't notice much of a difference AT ALL from "4096" to "OFF". There may be a few blurries, but it is worth it!

Autogen at very dense works well with Orbx FTX Gobal, because I don't get any FPS difference.

There is also a new handy tool that may help the migration to DX10. It's called "Dx10 scenery fixer", that changes existing sceneries to work at night in DX10!

Check it out here: http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/dx10-scenery-fixer/

Try it out yourself and see what you find!

Hnla

Re: Users with OOM's. A handy tip! --READ!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 09:55:06 pm »
-In addition to this, I hear FTX global has a new texture set for Autogen that helps reduce OOM's. Something handy!

flapsup

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 07:21:59 am »
Most of what you posted is common knowledge, but thanks for posting. It should help the newbies.

flapsup

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 07:24:12 am »

There is also a new handy tool that may help the migration to DX10. It's called "Dx10 scenery fixer", that changes existing sceneries to work at night in DX10!

Check it out here: http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/dx10-scenery-fixer/
Should be about 4 weeks to release

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 07:44:25 am »
I don't get any OOM in FSX, but I'll give this a try anyway. If it can bring the light bloom back, it will be great. I think the night textures in FSX is missing some light bloom.

So, do I have to activate the DX10 preview in FSX? and then install the setup.bat file from "DX10 scenery fixer" ?

BTW: I got the FTX Global from ORBX.
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 11:51:54 am »
I switch the textures to 4096, and Bam! Oom! I really don't notice much of a difference AT ALL from "4096" to "OFF". There may be a few blurries, but it is worth it!

Which texture resolution you chose when installing CYVR ? If you chose sizes smaller than 4096, it's fairly normal you won't see much difference on the scenery, your CYVR texture were *already* running at a lower resolution.

So, what the 4096 switch in this case did, is to disable support for 4096 textures ELSEWHERE in the sim, not on CYVR! For example, in the VC, in the airplane livery (if you used an HD livery), in clouds (if you used HD clouds).

Of course, if you turn off the Addon Manager switch, there wouldn't be any point installing CYVR to anything other than 1024 for every kind of textures, since you won't see textures higher than 1024 anyway, if the switch is Off.

The whole point of having that switch, is that you can SEPARATELY control the texture resolution at CYVR using the installer, but keep using HD textures for all the rest, if you want to.

Hnla

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 05:07:55 pm »
So, what the 4096 switch in this case did, is to disable support for 4096 textures ELSEWHERE in the sim, not on CYVR! For example, in the VC, in the airplane livery (if you used an HD livery), in clouds (if you used HD clouds).

Not exactly, some objects in the scenery, such as the hotels at LAX, won't be HD anymore. And in the VC, cockpit textures are still HD, such as the PMDG 737NGX.

My clouds were 1024 anyways.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 09:39:57 pm »
Not exactly, some objects in the scenery, such as the hotels at LAX, won't be HD anymore

Yes, but the bulk of what consume most of the memory is the ground.

And in the VC, cockpit textures are still HD, such as the PMDG 737NGX.

If the HD option in the Addon Manager is set to Off, the VC will be at 1024x1024, regardless how you installed it.

It's not an "Addon Manager" option (so it's relevant to FSDT products only), it's the same global switch that any other utility out there sets up in the FSX.CFG, the only difference is the Addon Manager doesn't require an FSX restart to see the changes, so it's just more convenient to use. So, with that switch Off, every texture in the sim will display no higher than 1024x1024.

Hnla

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 01:15:14 am »
If the HD option in the Addon Manager is set to Off, the VC will be at 1024x1024, regardless how you installed it.

No, there is NO difference in the textures of the PMDG 737NGX when I switch it to off, vs 4096.

And, the textures in the NGX are higher than 1024.

flapsup

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 05:04:58 am »

No, there is NO difference in the textures of the PMDG 737NGX when I switch it to off, vs 4096.

And, the textures in the NGX are higher than 1024.
According to Ryan, he writes in tutorial 2 that the VC was not optimized for 4096 after all, that is why you see no difference. If they were HD textures, the cockpit text would be blurry.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:11:06 am by flapsup »