Author Topic: Operating GSX from a network PC  (Read 6176 times)

sluyt050

Operating GSX from a network PC
« on: July 05, 2013, 03:33:48 pm »
Hi FSDreamteam,

I love GSX but since I have a full scale B737NG cockpit running on 6 PC's and 3 scenery projectors, it's hard to use since a cockpit has no keyboard and the GSX menu appearing on top of the scenery looks very unrealistic. What I actually need is to operate it from a network PC (i.e my 'instructor station') not running FSX. This PC has a touchscreen monitor and a keyboard and it is the only one I am able to operate during a flight from within the cockpit. So GSX itself is still installed on one of the FSX PC's (server or clients) but the GSX interactive menu should be on my instructor station display.

I would encourage you to make GSX available for us 'cockpit builders'. This would bring GSX to a higher more professional level I think. I am anxious to hear your opinion on my suggestion.

Edward Sluijter
The Netherlands
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:00:27 pm by sluyt050 »

sluyt050

Re: Operating GSX from a network PC
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 05:56:18 pm »
I have a second request to make GSX suitable for use with WideView (WideTraffic also installed).
GSX has been installed presently on my WideView/FSX server. On my 3 WideView/FSX (scenery) clients GSX almost works perfectly.

Thanks,
Edward
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:20:00 am by sluyt050 »

Pete Dowson

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:59:47 am »
So GSX itself is still installed on one of the FSX PC's (server or clients) but the GSX interactive menu should be on my instructor station display.

As a workaround you may want to consider the recent additions to FSUIPC4 and WideClient, which support a Lua plug-in solution to get both the message lines and menus to a cockpit screen on a WideFS PC.  It doesn't completely remove the menu from the main screen (I can't yet find a way to do that without losing the ability to get a reply back to GSX or whatever via SimConnect), but it does make it as small as it will go and moves to to top left.

I'm using this quite happily in my cockpit and can't see the moved FS menu normally because it is above the part of the projected scenery I can normally see through the cockpit glareshiled.

You'd want buttons (or, better, a touchscreen in the cockpit), connected perhaps also via WideFs, and assigned those to the 0-9 keystrokes needed for selections, of course.

If you want to discuss this further, please visit the FSUIPC support forum ,as I don't visit this one very often!

Regards
Pete

Selkan

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 10:23:27 am »
I appreciate this is not the entire answer you seek, but I have a similar set-up, and in my overhead panel I have a small illuminated keyboard, probably about 8 inches X 4 inches.  I know this dosen't overcome the text menus coming up, but for the most part does work well.  There are of course many other times I require a keyboard, and this arrangement works well, and set into the overhead panel, actually looks pretty good.

sluyt050

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 12:11:31 pm »
Thanks very much Pete and Selkan for your tips.

Umberto, I would appreciate very much to hear your opinion on my suggestions.

Edward

sluyt050

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 01:32:53 am »
Thank you so much Umberto for your non-reaction.

Edward

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 02:50:02 am »
Thank you so much Umberto for your non-reaction.

When a question has already been discussed and answered on the forum, you should expect it might not get the highest priority in replying.

The forum has a search feature for the exact reason that one should first use it to check if something was already discussed, and it was, several times. The answer was always the same: adding network support to GSX is something we would like to do, but only AFTER everything that we planned for core features would be completed.

This for the obvious reasons that, if we add a new core feature which is currently missing, such as de-icers, gpus, lavatory vehicles, etc. it will benefit ALL users, but network support will only benefit the minority of users that run FSX on many PCs.

This means that something that will benefit everyone, will always come first, and we don't considered GSX to be finished. Other comparable products out there, were released 7-8 years ago, GSX is only 18 months old, so this should put everything in a better perspective.

sluyt050

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 02:57:18 am »
Umberto, my apologies.

I thought to be the first one to come up with the idea for network / multiple PC support.

Anyway, I still hope that you will soon find the time to implement my suggestions.

Regards,
Edward