Author Topic: FSX Loading time  (Read 3385 times)

wb2002

FSX Loading time
« on: June 25, 2013, 05:59:42 am »
I always use a saved situation to load when starting FSX with A/C, airport and gate. I select a situation from my Flight Simulator X Files directory and place this in my FSX.cfg. I posted the question on other forums about the loading time from selecting FSX icon to situation ready-to-fly. My load time for this took about 10 mins. I was able to reduce this by 5 mins by adding DisablePreload to my fsx.cfg file. I have installed quite a few payware A/C, UTX, Xclass, FSGenesis, GEX, FEX, ASE or REX, ORBX FTX, MTX. I'm sure I left out more stuff however I have a fast system with good system specs. I am content with my FPS once everything is loaded. My main question is something that perhaps FSDT might be able to share some light on. Once FSX is initially started, what process or order of things FSX process as it progress to ready state? Does having many A/C installed adds to this even when only one particular A/C is being used? Are all sceneries loaded each time FSX is started?

Any ideas
wb2002

ASUS P6X58 Premium/Intel i7-930 OC TO 4.2
Mushkin Redline (3x2GB) 6-8-6-24/Win 7 Ultimate 64
EVGA GTX 580/Thermaltake W0106 700W PSU

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX Loading time
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 04:16:25 pm »
5 minutes it's a lot, but I have to say I never installed so many add-ons at the same time. FYI, after reading your message, I timed my FSX and it takes exactly 38 seconds to start (the first start of the day), on a default airport with a default airplane. Once I'm there, selecting FSDT JFK takes me another 17 seconds.

The number of installed airplanes surely is a factor, and so is the number of installed sceneries and entries in the scenery.cfg. Also, if your startup flight contains a complex 3rd party airplane, all its gauges will be loaded before FSX starts.

You might gain something by making your startup flight to use a very light default airplane (like the ultralight), go to your airport and THEN loading a complex 3rd party airplane. This because FSX loads all the airplane gauges TWICE: first it load all the airplane+gauges at the first start screen, because your startup flight includes that airplane then, when after you selected your options on the "Create Flight" page, it will unload all of them and, if you kept the same airplane, it will RELOAD the airplane+gauges again together with the rest of the scenery. That's why if your airplane takes a lot to start, you might save some time by having a default airplane in the startup flight, and loading the preferred airplane after you are placed at the airport.

wb2002

Re: FSX Loading time
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:39:11 pm »
Thanks for responding. I never ever go to a "Create Flight" page. After starting FSX.exe, it loads my previously stored selected situation. At all my FSDT airports, I have saved a situation with the A/C at a particular gate. I have also stored all my favorites airports with "Tower" views to see them with all active A/C that are gate associated with airlines. All my airport tower views look like this:"TOWER_CYVR (INVISIBLE).FLT" or " TOWER_KLAX (INVISIBLE).FLT" - When this loads, I am at the tower view and able to pan/zoom in, out and view all traffic/vehicles over entire airport. I have more than 800 situations, some installed with certain A/C installations and others I have created myself. I don't open FSX with an opening screen - only saved situations that I select when I edit my fsx.cfg file. I will try to time the functions that FSX displays while loading showing various sections of loads.
wb2002

ASUS P6X58 Premium/Intel i7-930 OC TO 4.2
Mushkin Redline (3x2GB) 6-8-6-24/Win 7 Ultimate 64
EVGA GTX 580/Thermaltake W0106 700W PSU