Author Topic: before purchasing: installation on different HD  (Read 6761 times)

looping

before purchasing: installation on different HD
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:26:46 pm »
Hi,

Because of the protection/activation method I never purchased any cloud9 or FSDT products for FS9.
Now I migrated to FSX (W7 64) and would be open to purchase CYVR, KLAX, KLAS, KORD, KLLL, LSGG and cloud9 Florence and Bergen sceneries.

My situation :
FSX is on drive D: a 256GB SSD, rather full, probably no space left for the above sceneries
ALL my airport sceneries are on drive F: a 2TB HDD. This is working very well with all addons.

Questions:
-Can I install FSDT sceneries w/o any problem on drive F: ?
-If not: what is the estimated space needed for your airport sceneries (my priorities are with CYVR, KLAX, KLAS, KORD, Florence) ?

I hope to get your sceneries onto my system.

Ernst

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: before purchasing: installation on different HD
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 01:47:15 pm »
-Can I install FSDT sceneries w/o any problem on drive F: ?

Only if FSX itself is installed there.

Basically ,they must be installed on the same drive as FSX which is something you'll have to do anyway sooner or later if your SSD is full, since many FSX add-ons have the same requirement. For example, an add-on that replaces default textures and/or autogen which larger/better quality version, will surely have to install into FSX too so, you better have FSX on the larger drive anyway, not just for the FSDT scenery.

looping

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 03:30:28 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Your reply came fast! Great!

Only a crash will force me to replace my 256GB SSD D: drive with FSX installed on it!
I am quite complete for my way of using FSX.
No further addons planned except sceneries onto my F: HD and aircraft which are parked on this F: Drive as well and moved to D: when used.

But again: what is approx. installed size of my below listed FSDT airports?
Perhaps I can put them on my D: SSD.

On my search for a solution I just learnt some minutes ago of a link or junction link technique.
Do you have experienced problems with FSDT sceneries in combination with these methods?

Thanks in advance for your detailed reply.

Ernst

kozmicelly

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 05:19:13 pm »
Hi Ernst,

My FSDT sceneries (all but Hawaiians), D:/FSX/fsdreamteam/ occupies 1.76 Gb.
And you should consider other files in other folders.

I hope this gives you some clue. ;)

Elly

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »
Perhaps I can put them on my D: SSD.

If you REALLY know what you are doing, you might be able to do it with most of them (but you are really unsupported on this, and any scenery update you risk having something that will not work), but some of the newer sceneries like CYVR and JFK V2 will have to stay on the C:\ProgramData\Virtuali folder, and it might be not be possible to move them, because some part of them are rewritten on the fly.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 09:13:12 pm »
My FSDT sceneries (all but Hawaiians), D:/FSX/fsdreamteam/ occupies 1.76 Gb.

That's not the whole scenery, most of it is under the FSX\Simobjects\Misc\FSDT* folders, and with recent sceneries have files in C:\ProgramData\Virtuali too.

kozmicelly

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 06:03:14 pm »
Hi Virtuali

I know what you're talking about.
So I told him, "And you should consider other files in other folders." ;)
By "other files in other folders", I meant what you've pointed out. :P

Elly

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 09:38:56 pm »
So I told him, "And you should consider other files in other folders." ;) By "other files in other folders", I meant what you've pointed out.

Of course you have. But maybe he wanted to have an official confirmation, that's why I replied to the thread.

looping

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 06:44:39 am »
Hi All,

Thank you all for your frank and valuable information!
I see there is no secure solution for moving FSDT products to another disk.
I'll therefore try to free my D: by moving other files (WoAI traffic etc) to C: which is also a SSD with more free space.
The junction flag, link or junction link techniques seem to work for that purpose but I've never tried it myself.
And I'll buy KORD and CYVR first to establish the disk space consumed.

Tks again and BRgds
Ernst

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 10:26:43 am »
And I'll buy KORD and CYVR first to establish the disk space consumed.

Don't forget that you can download and install everything, before purchasing.

looping

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 04:07:50 pm »
After the standard installation of KORD oharex_setup.exe for Demo purposes I cannot start FSX anymore.
Also not after system restart.

A fatal error message says:

Problemereignisname:   APPCRASH
  Anwendungsname:   fsx.exe
  Anwendungsversion:   10.0.61637.0
  Anwendungszeitstempel:   46fadb14
  Fehlermodulname:   ui.dll
  Fehlermodulversion:   10.0.61637.0
  Fehlermodulzeitstempel:   46fadb59
  Ausnahmecode:   c0000005
  Ausnahmeoffset:   0003c963
  Betriebsystemversion:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Gebietsschema-ID:   2055

Zusatzinformationen zum Problem:
  LCID:   2055

Please help!

Thanks for your immediate help.

Ernst

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 04:29:29 pm »
After the standard installation of KORD oharex_setup.exe for Demo purposes I cannot start FSX anymore.Also not after system restart.

This doesn't have anything to do with any of our software, the UI.DLL module is a default module related to the FSX user interface that we don't have any interaction with, not even in read-only mode, fact you had only after installing KORD is just coincidental, perhaps you have the very well known uiautomationcore bug, which is very common and not related in any way to any of our products.

looping

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 07:12:52 am »
I am not accusing you for my problem, but it really happened after the installation of KORD.
~1 hour before KORD install I installed some WoAi files and checked them at some relating airports.
ALL OK.

Google search with your key word "uiautomationcore bug" plus some of other measures didn't cure it yet.

Do you or any other crack visiting this forum have any more specific idea how to get FSX working again?
Is this a system problem on drive C: or a FSX problem on drive D: ?

After approx. 7 secs after double-click of  the fsx.exe the failure message appears and stops fsx.
Creation of a new fsx.cfg only shows this minimal entry:

[GRAPHICS]
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500672
[SOUND]
AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000

Thanks for any help!

Ernst

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 04:06:39 pm »
I am not accusing you for my problem, but it really happened after the installation of KORD.

I believe you noticed it after installing KORD, that doesn't mean it was *caused* by it, it only means you noticed it after installing KORD.

~1 hour before KORD install I installed some WoAi files and checked them at some relating airports.

Are you aware that WoAI are made for FS9 ? They will have serious impact on your fps compared to a proper FSX package, such as UT2.

After approx. 7 secs after double-click of  the fsx.exe the failure message appears and stops fsx. Creation of a new fsx.cfg only shows this minimal entry:

This is strange, and it further proves you have a system problem, since FSX couldn't even recreate its own default FSX.CFG. Are you looking in the correct folder for it, which is %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX ?

looping

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 10:18:01 pm »
This is just to inform that my FSX is running at full performance again!
Amongst numerous other proposals and trials for a remedy in a FS forum I was suggeted an Acceleration Pack repair which was successful.
Tomorrow, after a backup of my 2 SSDs I will be back for FSDT installations.

I am aware of WoAI being a FS9 product. But I am not experiencing severe fps drops. Perhaps because I have updated the PAI models to FSX (available as freeware) and all textures reduced to dxt3.
My external fps limitter is set to 30 and only in the KSEA, New York and Frankfurt area it drops to 18-25 with 100% commercial traffic and 50% GA, except for NY where I reduce AI to below 30%.
In all other areas I operate at stable 30 fps.

Thanks again for your super reaction support!

Ernst