Author Topic: Combat HUD and IFLOLS equipped Cessna 172  (Read 13423 times)

Tregarth

Combat HUD and IFLOLS equipped Cessna 172
« on: April 26, 2013, 06:01:26 pm »
I have been trying to fly and land a jet aircraft at El Centro and find it not easy.  Consequently, I have been using the default Cessna 172 and this has helped.  Thanks to guidance from Sludge I have equipped my Cessna with an IFLOLS.

Following Paddles' release of vLSO I thought I would try to migrate to Coupeville using my IFLOLS equipped Cessna but Coupeville does not have a mirror landing sight.  I realised the instruments on the Cessna panel are not really precise enough so I decided to also add a HUD as well.  Again, with Sludge's help I now have a Combat HUD, IFLOLS equipped Cessna.

I hope this might help other virtual aviators.

Points to note:
1. Both the additional and Cessna gauges work at El Centro but vLSO does not because it is not designed to do so.
2. There is no ILS at Coupeville so the IFLOLS does not work.  vLSO 0.7 does but not for Cessna's.
3. Both the gauges work with Javier Hernandez's carriers running under the control of Lamont Clark's AICarriers2.  Both of these add-ons can be found at http://www.fsxblueangels.com/other%20dowloads%20template.html
4. The IFLOLS works at a range of 2.6 mls at El Centro and 1.5 mls when flying to a carrier.

NOTE THIS WELL:  BEFORE YOU START MAKE A COPY OF THE Cessna C172 PANEL FILE (Panel.cfg) and SAVE IT SOMEWHERE SAFE.  (What I do is copy the file, paste it into the  C172 Panel folder and rename it as XXPanel .)

The following folders will be required and can be found in Sludge's FA-18 (I have assumed you have downloaded this add-on and installed it as per Sludge's ReadMe.)

1. Combat HUD   located in FSX\Gauges\
2. IFLOLS          located in FSX\Gauges\Avionics\

Copy these folders containing these gauges into your SimObjects\Airplanes\C172\Panel folder.
Do not open the folders, copy and paste them complete.

Copy the attached file Cessna Panel.txt into the C172 Panel folder and rename it to Panel.cfg

For those that are interested if you look in the Panel.cfg file you will see I have added the lines

Window06=IFLOLS
Window07=Combat HUD
in the [Window Titles] section

This adds the lines IFLOLS and Combat HUD to the Views\Instrument Panel\ menu

In the Combat HUD section [Window07] the lines

Window_pos      =0.180, 0.000
window_size               = 0.600, 0.600

are used to position and size the gauge.  I use 3 screens in portrait mode which gives me an effective display of 2700 x 1440; I have found by trial and error that 0.180, 0.000 will position the gauge as I want it.  These numbers refer to the position of the top left hand corner of the gauge; in my case the corner is 0.18 units from the left edge of the screen (the X value) and, strangely, 0.0 units form the top (the Y value).  At one time I had a Y value of -0.12 but the HUD was too far up the screen.  (The attached screen grabs show the position of the HUD.)

The IFLOLS can be moved in a similar way to suit your taste.

A quick way to adjust the settings is to make the changes in the Panel file, save them, go to FSX, change the Cessna to another aircraft (I used the Garmin Cessna), load it then change the plane back to the C172 – this will load the new settings.

In the HUD the “E” efficiency caret is not set correctly for the Cessna; it shows the ideal landing speed to be about 54kts which is on the edge of a stall with flaps fully extended.  It also means the nose is so high the carrier is hidden.

I would like to change the HUD settings to a landing speed of 60-65 kts but do not understand the HTML file so I can't do it.

When you select one of the Missions from the Missions page you must tick the box “Enable changes...” to allow a different aircraft (e.g. C172, T-45) to be flown in the mission.

Good luck and enjoy your flying.

Clive Drake
Gatwick FlightSim Group
www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk

GOONIE

Re: Combat HUD and IFLOLS equipped Cessna 172
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 06:26:53 pm »
Hey bud,
You might want to try installing the Dante light fix (new smaller halo.bmp), just google search to find the file. It will help reduce the halo around the FLOLS so you can actually see the ball out the window. See the picture below at 3/4 to see what I am talking about, nice crispy meatball.

GOONIE
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Tregarth

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 06:50:06 pm »
Goonie,

I had forgotten about Dante, you are right, thank you for your reminder.  The lights make a big difference.

Clive

Letourn

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 07:41:37 pm »
hi Tregarth,

Maybe you should try thisv with T-6A freeware from Iris or the T6B from combat pilot demo also freeware

Tregarth

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 11:36:50 pm »
Letourn,

Thanks, I have found it and downloaded it.

Tregarth

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 07:14:29 pm »
Tre...

I'd like to help more, but I'd have to break away from the Sludge, and I just don't have the spare time. However, if you wanna keep working on this, get the program XML Marker and from there you can try to edit the XMLs (not the HTMLs), to where the HUD E-bracket range fits with your flaps landing configuration.

Later
Sludge

Tregarth

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 12:29:42 pm »
Sludge,

Thanks for your help which is much appreciated.  I am making slow progress and learning a lot about changing XML files.  To change the file all I do is right click the file, select Open With..Notepad and the file is editable.

I hope you are able to release the updated F-18 soon, looking forward to seeing it.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me,

Cheers,

Tregarth

pyroperson87

• To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 05:27:42 am »
Tregarth,

Take this for what it is worth, but I personally wouldn't use the T-6 to practice passes at the boat.  Here is why:

The T-6 is a turboprop aircraft which means that the throttle response is delayed 2-3 seconds due to the spooling of the turbo.  This means that once you are in the groove you will need to be 2-3 seconds ahead of the aircraft to predict throttle inputs.  Jet/piston powered aircraft on the other hand have an almost instant throttle response.  I would stick with the 172, or maybe step up to a larger piston powered aircraft like the Cessna 206.  Dino's T-45 is probably the best "entry level" jet to practice with once you get to that point. 

Just my .02 cents.  Fly the ball my friend.

Pyro
Pops

Tregarth

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 01:42:19 pm »
Fascinating, I had never thought of that.  Thank you very much for the insight.

Still learning to fly the ball!

Tregarth

dreaminsight

Re: R: Combat HUD and IFLOLS equipped Cessna 172
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 07:02:51 pm »
Please upload it

Tregarth

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 12:08:34 pm »
Not sure what you mean by this, upload what?

Cheers,

Tregarth

Mickey_Techy

Re:
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 04:48:59 pm »
@Tregarth: He is looking for a download that converts the Cessna with combat HUD.

@dreaminsight:  This is not an aircraft download mate. It's a panel config. All the details you need are there in the first post on this thread.

dreaminsight

Re: R: Combat HUD and IFLOLS equipped Cessna 172
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 09:24:50 pm »
yeah, right! Thank you! It's a bit difficult but....wonderful

dreaminsight

Re: R: Re: Combat HUD and IFLOLS equipped Cessna 172
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 07:18:08 pm »
Iris or the T6B from combat pilot demo also freeware

Where did you find the freeware of combat pilot????