Author Topic: shimmer  (Read 7698 times)

yancovitch

shimmer
« on: February 28, 2013, 12:58:13 am »
aside from being extremely happy with cyvr, i was wondering if there is any way to reduce the shimmering of the light poles.........i know it's not really that important, but i thought i'd check...thanks....and i apologize if you have already answered this.....
 and oh.....i bought this program called fsps-xtreme fsx pc.......and it made a great improvement in performance....

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: shimmer
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:43:08 am »
I can't see any shimmering of the light poles and nobody else reported this before. I guess that "miracle" program you use (there are no miracles, just lower settings) has probably changed some setting that lower visual quality somewhere.

CharlieP51

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:58:21 am »
aside from being extremely happy with cyvr, i was wondering if there is any way to reduce the shimmering of the light poles.........i know it's not really that important, but i thought i'd check...thanks....and i apologize if you have already answered this.....
 and oh.....i bought this program called fsps-xtreme fsx pc.......and it made a great improvement in performance....

What kinds of 'great improvement' and how did you measure this in 'performance' I ask because these so-called FSX Booster programs are BOGUS. No offense...maybe you see higher fps numbers (on shift Z) or sense 'better smoothness'..glad it seemingly has worked for you....to your satisfaction.  It sure has worked for whoever sold you that booster program. Eh??
 Umberto's reply on this is 110% on the money.

IMHO these booster program authors take advantage of the mistaken concept that FPS numbers are the Holy Grail of evaluating FSX 'performance' 

It's JUST a SIMULATION
Happy SKIES to ALL

yancovitch

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 04:44:27 pm »
      i'm sure you are both correct, and wouldn't want to promote something wrongly..... and am very skeptical about these products...tried one once, regarding fsx backup, and it totally wiped the sim, and i had to reinstall......someone posted success with this one somewhere, so i thought i'd try for $10
      alas, i'm ignorant of the inner working of these things and i haven't yet experimented with that program...providing i even have the brains to do so  :) i just pressed the default profile, and and the fps shot up and didn't bounce up and down causing extreme stutters as usual....maybe "it" just turned off something running in the background, draining the resources....or like you said...lowering the settings somewhere.....will have to study the manual of course....was going to upgrade the computer just before this happened...now there's hope that it can be improved.....
    pole shimmers happens with or without the program, and i'm sure it has nothing to do with cyvr.......using inspector......thought some of my settings there might be off...have a friend coming today to overclock a little for me and update my motherboard, but he knows nothing about fsx......
thanks for your response......
my gosh!! i just saw that i spent 17 hours here!! ;D

intel i7 950.....asus p6t delux v2....asus gtx 285......raptor 150g...raptor300g (fsx)......liquid cooled cpu cooler.....6gb corsair 1600-777........windows 7......dusty antec 900 case.....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:55:59 pm by yancovitch »

yancovitch

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 07:59:08 pm »
fixed the shimmering.....changed the antialiasing setting in nvidia inspector to 8x sq.....cheers.....

CharlieP51

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:45:32 pm »
TYVM for the UPDATE...I may have to educate myself on Nvidia Inspector. I think I have similar adjustments available to me in the standard Nvidia Control Panel that installs with driver updates. I really prefer a simple hassle-free appeoach to FSX and once I get smooth flight with the stuff ( add-ons) I like OK!. I used to watch the fps numbers like a hawk..I have MORE FUN with shift-Z turned OFF..as long as my experience is rewarding I stop tweaking...thx again for that tip.

It's JUST a SIMULATION  ;)
Happy SKIES to ALL  :)  :)  :)

Andrew737

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 11:18:32 pm »
intel i7 950.....asus p6t delux v2....asus gtx 285......raptor 150g...raptor300g (fsx)......liquid cooled cpu cooler.....6gb corsair 1600-777........windows 7......dusty antec 900 case.....

AND FSPS Booster (Or Whatever)!!!!  ;D
Regards Andrew

CharlieP51

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 11:38:35 am »

AND FSPS Booster (Or Whatever)!!!!  ;D

Found any downside(s) yet to the FSPS Booster? I have never tried it. Before I got my Exrta Class Amateur Radio license I dabbled in CB Citizens Band here in the states. An enterprising (but unethical) person could sell an 'empty box' and name the price, with a coaxial xonnector on each end, by just calling it a 'CB Power Booster' ..Can't blame the vendors that much since folks are so gullible. <- PT Barnum syndrome. I did notice that so-called fsps booster has no trial version or returns policy....

It's JUST a SIMULATION  ;)
Happy SKIES to ALL  :)  :)  :)

yancovitch

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 04:43:36 pm »
the booster version i got for around 10 bucks was...fsps-xtreme fsx pc....i don't know about fs booster.........
haven't read the manual yet....think it changes the fsx cfg.......all i know is that by pushing one button, fsx ran smoother..at least for me....had problems with stutters...much better now............at 72, a musician, not a tech head, it suits me fine, and i can't apologize for that  ;D ;D...i'll never reach level of the many technical knowhows here......yes it's good to push the envelope and encourage people to have to learn the nitty gritty, but i think there is a percentage of simmers, who may lack the capacity, or don't wish to learn to do the complicated manipulations in fsx, and just wish to enjoy the sim.....and anything which can accommodate this, is welcome by me....even if it is a placebo which seems to work ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:02:05 pm by yancovitch »

CharlieP51

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 12:22:10 am »
Thx for your candid reply. I am like-minded when it comes to the basic choice in FSX of seemingly "endless tweaking" or "enjoying flying" instead. I especially enjoyed your placebo remark...it reminded me of song lyrics from James Taylor..in part they are ..."tell me lies, but hold me tight. I don't want to be lonely tonight."