Author Topic: TML settings in fsx.cfg  (Read 3347 times)

altstiff

• My F/O is a dog
    • Visit my flightsim blog..
TML settings in fsx.cfg
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:35:59 pm »
I was under the impression that for certain FSDT scenery to work you needed to have the tml at 4096? It is also sugfested for used in the pmdg ngx.

What ill effects would we see in FSDT scenery if we set it lowet, such as 2048?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: TML settings in fsx.cfg
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:44:38 pm »
That option is controlled directly by the Addon Manager "Force HD textures", which act both on the FSX.CFG (so it will be saved for the next restart) but also in memory, so you can check the results visually without having to restart FSX.

It's used by KLAX and CYVR, without it, the scenery will look less sharp. Whether you are prepared to accept that quality degradation, is really up to you but, in general, you should set it on, to use these sceneries at their native resolution. The setting is of course global so, by changing, it will change any other product that uses textures larger than 1024x1024.

altstiff

• My F/O is a dog
    • Visit my flightsim blog..
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:23:00 pm »
Less sharp, I understand that.

Will it reduce the load on VAS by using a lower tml? Or does the texture size still load the same (ex 4mb) even if we see textures not looking so sharp.

Less sharp I can handle, anomalies is what I was more worried about. Such as textures not showing.

I dont mind the sacrafice of a little IQ for VAS savings.

(tried it al KLAX) and noticed the cargo building logos were less sharp. Most of what elses I seen looked fine. Not all textures are 4096 I assume.

Thks Umberto in advance and the education lesson hete. Been reading a lot of what you have been pisting and find it educational from an FSX user stand piint.

Sorry for the poor spelling. Learning to use touch pad still....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:25:41 pm by altstiff »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:10:00 pm »
Will it reduce the load on VAS by using a lower tml? Or does the texture size still load the same (ex 4mb) even if we see textures not looking so sharp.

I'd say the VRAM requirements will be lower, and the VAS too, under DX9. Under DX10, you can probably afford HD textures without much difference on VAS usage.