Author Topic: Installing scenery to a different hard drive  (Read 10120 times)

mbwlewis

Installing scenery to a different hard drive
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:50:15 am »
Hello -

I've searched through the forums but could not find the answer to this question, so apologies in advance if it's been answered.

I have recently upgraded to an SSD and have installed my OS and FSX on the drive.

To save space, I have installed all my old scenery (UK2000, photo, REX) onto a much larger hard drive. I'd like to do this with my old FSdreamteam products too - but was not sure if it would work.

Could you please advise.

Many thanks in advance,
Mark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Installing scenery to a different hard drive
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 12:26:36 pm »
No, it doesn't work, our products must be installed on the same disk as FSX

gchenman

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 11:53:55 am »
Dear FSDT Team,

Thanks for your very nice products. Level of details is really fantastic... when it properly works.

A few weeks ago, I tried to free disk space on my C: drive and moved my 4 FSDT sceneries (KJFK, KORD, KLAS and KDFW) to my D: drive.
Hoooo, that was a big mistake:
- the sceneries cannot be used from that drive - bad luck
- after uninstall/install on initial C: drive following the instructions of item "In case of an hard drive crash, for example, the best procedure is:" of the forum reinstallation topic)and, despite the fact that I have entered my registry activation keys, buildings are dissapearing from the sceneries (or partly appears) after 4 days.
The only way to solve this is a full installation again + running the resizing pgm when available. Slightly annoying isn'it?

I though that the problem was due to a registry issue (registry cleaner tool) but, after veification, all "known" registry entries were there and Addon Manager showing the correct product status (ACTIVE):
- each product is shown as ACTIVE in the FSDreamteam Addon manager (when FS is running)
- 4 entries in the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\eSellerate/Activations" key
- 4 entries in the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\FSDreamTeam" (one for each activated product)

To be sure, I rolled back registry values to last install situation but in vain, it didn't solve the issue.

As stated in the User's manuals and forum items, I didn't deactivate/reactivate the product on line as this should not be necessary when owing the registry activaion entry key and also because the number of activations is limited.
I don't believe that NVidia drivers could cause such problems: why would it be working during 4 days and suddently fails (without updating the driver in the meantime of course).
Also tried to move the scenery layer on the top of the "scenery.cfg" file but no change.

I would like to keep by blood pressure into acceptable limits and would be pleased to have this issue definitively fixed before purchasing other of your products (Hawai airports for example).

Thanks for your suggestions, solutions.

George Henman
Belgium - Europe 

System used :
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Édition familiale 32-bit SP3
      CPU   Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz   
         Conroe 65nm Technology
      RAM   4.00 Go Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 279MHz (5-5-5-31)
      Motherboard   ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-E SLI (Socket 775)   
      Graphics
         BenQ BL902 (1280x1024@60Hz)
         1023MB GeForce GTX 460 (ASUStek Computer Inc) Driver: 310.90

Flight Simulator : 9.1   
Antivirus : G-Data 2013 Trial version

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:36:59 pm »
A few weeks ago, I tried to free disk space on my C: drive and moved my 4 FSDT sceneries (KJFK, KORD, KLAS and KDFW) to my D: drive.

They wouldn't work on a different drive than the FSX one, but this doesn't have anything to do with the activation.

- after uninstall/install on initial C: drive following the instructions of item "In case of an hard drive crash, for example, the best procedure is:" of the forum reinstallation topic)and, despite the fact that I have entered my registry activation keys, buildings are dissapearing from the sceneries (or partly appears) after 4 days.

This doesn't hava anything to do with reactivation too. If there's a problem with reactivation, the scenery will work in TRIAL MODE, for 5 minutes at time, it surely won't disappear after 4 days.

Fact you said it PARTLY appear (if with "partly appear" you mean parts of buildings showing), seems to indicate an entirely different problem, which doesn't have anything to do with the activation either, but it's likely a video driver problem, video memory exhaustion or a tweak in your FSX.CFG that shouldn't be applied.

The only way to solve this is a full installation again + running the resizing pgm when available. Slightly annoying isn'it?

If the problem was fixed by a full installation, it's likely you had something outdated. I don't see any reason to run a resizer, surely not on FSX.

As stated in the User's manuals and forum items, I didn't deactivate/reactivate the product on line as this should not be necessary when owing the registry activaion entry key and also because the number of activations is limited.

The manual doesn't say exactly that. If with "owning registry activation key" you mean the .REG file, that's NOT a magical "reactivator". That .REG file ONE and ONLY reason to exists, is to SAVE you from typing the Serial Number manually, and that's it.

It doesn't do anything else, and it's not enough to reactivate a scenery. It's only ONE way of insert your Serial Number in the registry, the other way is to manually type it using the "Register Serial" button of the Addon Manager. Whatever method you use to insert your Serial Number in the registry, it STILL must be activated!

The activation key it's ANOTHER registry entry, and it's no use making a backup of it, because it CAN'T used when moving to a new hardware, reinstalling Windows or changing the Windows startup drive. When any of these happens, you will have to get a new activation key from the activation server, that will be automatically generated (if you have spare activations available) starting from your Serial Number, that's why it's no use saving that key in a .REG file, because it's only valid for the hardware config it was created from, and you'll always get a new one when you change hardware, reinstall Windows or change the boot drive.

I don't believe that NVidia drivers could cause such problems: why would it be working during 4 days and suddently fails (without updating the driver in the meantime of course).

They surely aren't, I use nVidia drivers too, and never saw an activation key being lost just after updating drivers.

It's more likely all your play with registry keys, instead.

Also tried to move the scenery layer on the top of the "scenery.cfg" file but no change.

You are mixing entirely different problems here. Now, it's not clear anymore if you are not seeing *any* scenery, or you are seeing it "partly".

If the activation is lost for ANY reason, the scenery will not just "disappear", or disappear "partly". It will WORK IN FULL for 5 minutes at time, then you'll have to restart FSX, another 5 minutes will start, and so on, without ANY expiration date, it will work like this forever, until reactivated.

So, just forget about the activation issue. If the Addon Manager says the scenery is Active, then IT IS Active.

I would like to keep by blood pressure into acceptable limits and would be pleased to have this issue definitively fixed

I really don't fully understand you now: you said that a full installation solved it. So, has been solved it or not ?

As explained many times already on the forum, if you install only the Stand-Alone Addon Manaager for FSX AFTER every scenery is installed, it will usually update all that needs to be updated to make the installed sceneries work so, a full reinstallation of the scenery is usually not needed, unless your scenery was installed with a fairly old installer, but you will be notified of this at the FSX startup, unless you chose to NOT be notified of updates for a specific scenery.

gchenman

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 07:51:05 pm »
Umberto,

Thanks for your quick answer and explanations..

Firstly, I would like to point out that I don't use FSX but FS9 - maybe, this FS version doesn't react the same way (memory allocation for example).

Issue happened again today - last install was March 5th. Four days without problems and... there it is.
The sceneries only show the jetways, parking marks, some light poles and airport traffic (train, etc..). There are no buildings nor any trace of "trial version" warning which is normal: Addon Manager shows an "Active" status for all the sceneries.

May I also stress that each time that I use the registry cleaner tool, I accurately check what will be cleared and, after cleaning, I start FS9 to verify that FSDT scenes are still there which is the case.

Reference made to scenery.cfg level position was only mentioned to show that other sceneries could normally not interact with yours (too large exclude files from another scene in the neighborhhood for example).

Do you think that a complete re-installation + deactivation/activation could solve this issue. Problem is that I had so many problrms with these scenes that I don't know how many free activations I can still use.

Regards,
George

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:49:17 pm »
Firstly, I would like to point out that I don't use FSX but FS9 - maybe, this FS version doesn't react the same way (memory allocation for example).

Yes, it's far less complex and usually doesn't have any of the "partial disappearance" problems.

Four days without problems and... there it is.

The scenery is surely not self-modifying so, obviously, something *else* (external) is causing this.

The sceneries only show the jetways, parking marks, some light poles and airport traffic (train, etc..). There are no buildings nor any trace of "trial version" warning which is normal: Addon Manager shows an "Active" status for all the sceneries.

That's an entirely different issue. You don't have PARTS of objects showing up (which is due to video memory corruption), you don't have the scenery at all, as if no scenery was installed.

Since the Addon Manager IS running, the only things that can cause this are (please check ALL OF THEM, one by one):

1) the scenery is really not installed

OR

2) the scenery is installed, but the scenery.cfg points to the wrong place. Which happens if you try to move the scenery manually.

OR

3) you are looking at a different scenery.cfg. The one in the FS9 folder is NOT the one in use but this can also change depending if you run (you shouldn't) FS9 under any "Compatibility" mode. Turn any compatibility modes for FS9.exe entirely off.

OR

4) the scenery is installed, in the proper location, the scenery.cfg is fine, but the scenery is not the current version. Download and install the current installer in this case

OR

5) the scenery.cfg has a syntax error

Do you think that a complete re-installation + deactivation/activation could solve this issue. Problem is that I had so many problrms with these scenes that I don't know how many free activations I can still use.

You seems to be obsessed with activation:

Wasn't enough my previous explanation that if the Addon Manager says the scenery is Active, it means IT IS ACTIVE so, there aren't any problems with the activation ?

Wasn't enough my previous explanation that if the activation is lost for ANY reason, the scenery will not just "disappear", or disappear "partly". It will WORK IN FULL for 5 minutes at time, then you'll have to restart FSX, another 5 minutes will start, and so on, without ANY expiration date, it will work like this forever, until reactivated ?

So, please, just FORGET about registry "keys", activation and such. Your problem doesn't have ANYTHING to do with activation. And, it doesn't even have anything to do with the Addon Manager (which is running), please verify ALL my previous points about possible reasons why you don't see the scenery.

gchenman

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 11:57:31 am »
Hi Umberto,

Have been through your checklist and here are my findings:

1) the scenery is really not installed :

All are installed on C: drive
Local=FSdreamteam\JFK\scenery
Local=FSdreamteam\KLAS\scenery
Local=FSdreamteam\KDFW\scenery
Local=FSdreamteam\OHare\scenery

2) the scenery is installed, but the scenery.cfg points to the wrong place. Which happens if you try to move the scenery manually.

See above - description are copy/paste from the latest Scenery.cfg file (located in main FS9 folder) and they are physically located there

3) you are looking at a different scenery.cfg. The one in the FS9 folder is NOT the one in use but this can also change depending if you run (you shouldn't) FS9 under any "Compatibility" mode. Turn any compatibility modes for FS9.exe entirely off.

I didn't change anything to this item - it is unticked.

4) the scenery is installed, in the proper location, the scenery.cfg is fine, but the scenery is not the current version. Download and install the current installer in this case

ohare9_setup - version 2.0000
klas_fs9_setup - version 1.010
kdfw_fs9_setup - version 1.030
jfk_fs9_setup - version 1.030
bglman.dll - version 1.0.0.81

5) the scenery.cfg has a syntax error

Could the scenery.cfg "Title=" description be a problem.
Indeed, having 663 different sceneries installed, I have used the FSNavigator editor to modify their descriptions and have them sequenced by Continent/country/city to easily retrieve them when a problem occurs. This means that "your" default installation description has been overwritten by my own one. Could this have an impact on displaying the scenes? But why would it happen afetr 4 days?

Yes, I am definitely obsessed by your activation method because I think that some FS product providers check licence validity through internet when FS is launched (I don't mean that you are doing this). The fact that I have moved the scenes to another drive might have jeopardized your licence data base version causing a deactivation of the product on my PC. Just trying to find a reason, not complaining about creator's right to protect their job. Working 25 years in banking system security surely doesn't help :-)

Have a nice w-e and thanks again for your support,

George

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 06:47:26 pm »
Could the scenery.cfg "Title=" description be a problem.

Not possible to say, without seeing the *actual* file. Not just the title itself, but the file, which might have.been screwed up with some strange encoding problems. Try ZIP your scenery.cfg and attach it to a post.

Yes, I am definitely obsessed by your activation method because I think that some FS product providers check licence validity through internet when FS is launched (I don't mean that you are doing this).

We obviously don't do this. An online connection is made ONLY when you activate the scenery the first time AND if you change a major hardware component. NEVER, EVER in regular use or at any FS startup.

The fact that I have moved the scenes to another drive might have jeopardized your licence data base version causing a deactivation of the product on my PC

I really don't understand why you keep repeating this, when I've clearly explained to you TWICE, that this can't be the case. I'll try it again:

1) If there's no activation, for ANY reason, such as changed hardware without reactivating, too many activations, registry keys lost or corrupted, ANY reason that might screw up the activation, the scenery WILL NOT DISAPPEAR. It will run in TRIAL mode, entirely, just for 5 minutes per session, then you'll have another 5 minutes session, and so on, for ever and ever, with no expiration date of any kind. I've explained this TWICE, wasn't clear enough, why are you keep saying the "activation" caused this ?

AND

2) The activation system doesn't care WHERE the scenery is installed. It only checks if the scenery IS installed in the location indicated in the scenery.cfg. But NOT to "verify your license", it does that, in order to know if the scenery is NOT installed, so you won't be annoyed by bogus "Trial for fsdt KLAX has started" (for example) if you fly in the LAX area and there's NO scenery installed.

3) It's not a problem of the Addon Manager not working or running (that would cause the scenery to disappear too), because you say you can use it normally and it reports the scenery to be Active. Not that this makes ANY difference with its visibility (see point #1), it should at least be visible for 5 minutes.

As I've said, several times, your problem is entirely unrelated to the activation. It must be some kind of problem with the scenery.cfg, ether is wrong, corrupted, or you are looking at the wrong one.

gchenman

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 03:36:10 pm »

Hi Umberto,

Back on stage... The FSDT Sceneries dissapeared again this morning!

Of course, your installation and registration processes cannot be suspected as you have explained to your customers and myself many times before but then, could you explain why is this phenomenon only occurs with YOUR SCENERIES and also - forgot to mention this formerly - with Cloud9 KLAX scenery ?
I have hundreds of scenes from all FS addons creators (UK2000, TropicalSim, Aerosoft...) and never - I reapeat NEVER - had such kind of issues. This is very upstetting because your products are far from being the cheapest ones on the FS addon market and therefore, I was expecting a more cooperative support.

Inspired by your recommandations, here are the actions taken since last install (was on March 3rd, 1013 - 22:43 WET)

- deactivate all kind of automatic registery defragmentation process
- got rid of the antivirus program (trial mode) - completely removed it
- install of the 4 sceneries with no antivirus nor firewall active
- left scenery.cfg file description as they were and positioned on top of the file (areas 657 to 660)
- removed the resizing programs from the texture folders to avoid new antivirus to react with them

Next week : No problems.

- one week later, I changed the description of KJFK layer to match my description standards

Next week : No problems.

Yesterday, I noticed that Cloud9 KLAX was "gone" (I presumed it happened during the previous config) and installed it the same way I installed the 4 FSTD ones - no antivirus active mode.

After install was done : No problem - it was properly working and FSDT's did too.

This morning, they were in the state you can see on the enclosed screen shots.

I didn't print any KLAX shots because I firstly reinstalled it to check if it could be interfering with the FSDT ones. No.

As far as I can see:

- scenery.cfg file is correctly set up and layers are pointing to the FSDT/Cloud9 folders
- all folders exist and have the correct numbers of BGL and BMP files (see FSDT*-location files enclosed)
- FS9.exe program, bglman.dll are registered on the exception list of the new antivirus (Trend Micro Titanium)
- no FS-oriented process have been blocked by the the new antivirus
- all products are ACTIVE in the Addon_manager (but this we alr4eady knew, don't we)

Have also tried with the following values in the FS9.cfg file

TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19 (ipo 21)
MipBias=4 (ipo 8)

but it doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Regards,
George

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 04:48:14 pm »
- all products are ACTIVE in the Addon_manager (but this we alr4eady knew, don't we)

That concludes any possible discussion about activation, because if the activation was lost, the scenery WOULD WORK IN TRIAL, NOT DISAPPEAR.

And that concludes any possible discussion about the antivirus or similar problems, because the Addon Manager IS RUNNING.

After install was done : No problem - it was properly working and FSDT's did too.

That's to be expected.

This morning, they were in the state you can see on the enclosed screen shots.

As I've said, under FS9 things are way simpler than FSX, where lots of things can go wrong. The ONLY possible reason why, with the Addon Manager running and the sceneries installed, and present in the Scenery Library (are they, even now ?), the only possible cause is as follows:

Something ELSE you have installed is changing your scenery.cfg, making it invalid for some reason, corrupting it, creating it names with wrong encodings, anything like this or similar

OR

you changed something that made FS9 looking at the wrong scenery.cfg, for example the Windows compatibility mode, will cause FS9 to look at different folders for scenery.cfg, which means sceneries that were installed in the proper scenery.cfg, are not present in the "other" scenery.cfg which was made active when FS9 started in a different mode.

Don't waste your time trying to find other causes, like activation, antivirus or similar. As long as the Addon Manager is running, and it looks it DOES, the only possible reason you don't see a scenery, is a problem with the Scenery Library.

And yes, there IS a logical explanation why this only occurs with our sceneries: because the Addon Manager DOES scan the scenery.cfg on its own to know if a scenery is installed or not. The obvious reason for this, is to NOT generate bogus "trial for xxx has started" messages, if you fly in an area specific to a scenery with the Addon Manager installed, if you don't have the scenery installed.

This results in the Addon Manager will stop doing anything if a scenery is not found in the scenery.cfg. And if the Addon Manager isn't doing anything, the scenery won't display, that's why I'm sure there's something wrong with your scenery.cfg.

Hnla

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 04:52:03 pm »
Why are you using Windows XP, and Fs2004..  ?

Are you aware that we are in the year 2013? Not 2003?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 05:10:37 pm »
We still sell those products and lists them as compatibile with XP and FS9, which means, as long as we are selling them, any user is entitled to be supported.

gchenman

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 07:08:58 pm »

Hi Umberto,

It appears that issue only occurs after a FS2004 crash.
Not a "clean" crash generating the usual FS box describing the cause of the problem such as: "FS encountered an error with module g2d.dll".
A real heavy one, with a frozen screen and PC reset needed or a OOM Windows message.
As the scenery.cfg file looked ok (no changes, nor wrong folder detected), I thought that it could be linked to the Addon_Mananger bglman.dll and bglman_fsdt.dat files and saved them on a separate usb key after clean install.
When the next crash occurred, before making an install again, I tried to replace the current files that could have been corrupted by the crash by the files I had formerly saved but the sceneries remain invisible. Not a solution.
I think I shall start putting money on my saving account and, as suggested by Boone, soon buy a new PC with the latest Windows OS (7, 8 or...) and install FSX, hoping that they will be compatible with each other :-(.
Sorry for the mess, I shall live with it.

Regards,
George

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 08:17:06 pm »
Not a "clean" crash generating the usual FS box describing the cause of the problem such as: "FS encountered an error with module g2d.dll".A real heavy one, with a frozen screen and PC reset needed or a OOM Windows message.

That seems to be something related to the video card drivers, because an FSX module doesn't have the ability to cause an hard-crash, only a low level system program, like a video driver, could do that.

Hnla

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 10:11:27 pm »
as suggested by Boone, soon buy a new PC with the latest Windows OS (7, 8 or...) and install FSX,

Go with Windows 7 for now, Windows 8 isn't supported by most developers yet.

If you have any questions on migrating to Windows 7/ FSX, let me know! Although I don't know everything about Fsdreamteam products, I do have knowledge of computers, and FSX.