Author Topic: addon manager updating  (Read 3053 times)

bigmack

addon manager updating
« on: January 05, 2013, 03:37:42 am »
Is it possible to update using addonmanger without it writing duplicate or overwriting my airport files? It's a real pain in the butt to keep going back renaming my files to original when ever I run the addonmanager.

Thanks in advance

Bill M  ???

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: addon manager updating
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 12:08:59 pm »
As explained many times already on the forum, and it was explained to you specifically:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=6652.msg57335#msg57335

The Addon Manger never, ever overwrites your files and it never create "duplicates".

It does a BACKUP of your modified files, and the backup has a .BAK extension, which means that file is NOT a duplicate which can cause troubles, double objects, etc.. So, please, don't keep saying it creates "duplicates", because it won't.

Of course, if you name your files in a different way, that it's YOU that put yourself into the situation of creating a duplicate, because if you renamed the AFCAD and removed the original one, the Addon Manager installer will obviously restore the missing one, and this IS a duplicate of your "renamed" file.

And there's of course good reason why the Addon Manager restores the missing one, because without it, you will lose *entirely* the GSX customization, which is very extensive at KLAX, with lots of custom nodes, pushback routes, custom gate names, etc.

So, if you are an user advanced enough to be able to modify the AFCAD, you are surely able to just RENAME the BACKUP which was made for you by the Addon Manager installer, which is what you should do, because keeping the same name (which is what triggers a BACKUP in the first place) is the only way to not lose GSX over the airport.