Author Topic: *Solved* No addons menu?  (Read 5373 times)

Ghjiop

*Solved* No addons menu?
« on: October 12, 2012, 02:37:17 pm »
Hi, I've recently installed GSX and the addon manager, and I have no "Addons" menu.
I looked at the toubleshooting, and the anti virus was turned off during installation and what not, but I still do not have the addons menu?
I have reinstalled both and I am still having trouble, perhaps I am supposed to install the addon manager before Ground Services X?
Thank you for reading, and if you can make a possible solution, thank you a lot more.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:17:51 pm by Ghjiop »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: No addons menu?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 07:24:32 pm »
If you don't have the whole "Addons" menu, your problem is way more deep that "just" the Addon Manager or GSX. Unless you have just reinstalled FSX from scratch, and haven't installed anything else, chances are that menu should contains several entries from other developers modules, like the popular FSUIPC which is used by many products, but there are many out there, from PMDG, Wilco, Aerosoft, Level-D, etc.

So, it would be good to know if you have just installed FSX and the *only* modules you have are the FSDT ones.

Turning off the antivirus while installing it's not enough: if the antivirus is the problem, it will try to block modules when you start FSX, the correct way is to BOTH turn it off when *downloading* AND *installing* AND configure it to exclude the fsx\bglmanx.dll and fsx\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe files from scanning BEFORE trying to launch FSX the first time after the installation.

And, you should take note if you ARE being asked permission to run the Addon Manager and the Couatl modules the first time you start FSX after the installation. If you haven't, then something is wrong and, either the antivirus is still blocking them OR something is missing in your Windows install, like the VC++ 2005 runtimes.

Note that, it's not very clear what you mean with "I've recently installed", can you try downlading the Stand-Alone Addon Manager NOW and install that one ? That one gets updated very often.

Ghjiop

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 09:01:12 pm »
Hi, thanks for the response, I have purchased an add-on a while ago called "fspassengers" and it has a module for that.  When I start FSX I do not receive any messages about cautl or the addon manager.  I will try disabling my anti virus when I install it.
Thanks again for your help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 11:46:34 pm »
I have purchased an add-on a while ago called "fspassengers" and it has a module for that.

But you said you don't have any "Addons" menu at all, so I guess that module isn't running anymore either ? If this is the case, your problem is not really the Addon Manager, Couatl or GSX, it's far larger than that.

I will try disabling my anti virus when I install it.

As I've said:

Turning off the antivirus while installing it's not enough: if the antivirus is the problem, it will try to block modules when you start FSX, the correct way is to BOTH turn it off when *downloading* AND *installing* AND configure it to exclude the fsx\bglmanx.dll and fsx\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe files from scanning BEFORE trying to launch FSX the first time after the installation.

It's either that, our you'll have to keep the antivirus off even when *running* FSX.

Ghjiop

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 08:07:30 pm »
I've found the problem, the add-ons menu only seems to appear on an administrator account, however I am not an administrator, so is there a way to make it work on a non-admin account as well?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 08:43:43 pm »
is there a way to make it work on a non-admin account as well?

If your account is limited, you can configure FSX to run as Administrator in the Properties->Compatibility settings but, if need to know the Administrator password and it will be asked every time you start FSX.

You are going to have troubles with lots of 3rd party addons if you run FSX un a limited user account.

Ghjiop

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 10:07:25 pm »
Solved, thanks for your help.  It wasn't anything to do with the limits, it was just that it only worked on one account, the administrator and I managed to fix it and I am very grateful, I love your product!   Thank you for helping!  ;D