Author Topic: New Guy's first impressions  (Read 5658 times)

C130

• "With your eyes turned skywards...."
New Guy's first impressions
« on: October 05, 2012, 01:11:37 pm »
Hello. My first post as a new user of GSX. ;D

The videos I have seen on You Tube and chatting to sim buddies, convinced me this was a better option than AES.

I had used AES for some time and needed global coverage without the credits purchase and the "locked" aircraft wheels on pushback!

My main sim aircraft is the IFly 737. This is well supported. The rear service door ( right side) does not open on the IFly 737, so this has been a bugbear. Not any longer! With GSX editor, I just disabled the door. Nicely done!

A couple of observations, if I may, perhaps to enhance the product for future. ;)

The boarding/deboarding sounds could do with better sounds, less repetative and clearer. I use a live recording of airport sound in my You Tube videos, perhaps this could be modelled from a recording of an aircraft boarding session and put in GSX? Even do regional accents for the airport we are at? Similar to the way the vehicles change liveries.

AES modells the De-icing vehicles. One video I did using them, has my highest number of views. They look good (in the older version), so I would say if you could model them in GSX it would be great. Again the FS2Crew flow includes the de-icing, so some GSX de icer trucks would be super. Especially since you guys have the modelling skills ;)

I use FS2Crew with the IFly. FS2Crew has a button for AES, which appears to not funtion now with GSX installed. So this prevents the use of both add ons. Is this intentional or is it just my system? I know GSX uses the intelliscene cfg from the AES editor, which is useful, since the initial download of AES is free! Pity they both can not be used together? Or is there a way of doing this? :o

With FS2Crew, if you wait for the cabin staff to close all the doors, you remain in the "flow". With GSX it asks for certain doors to be closed before it can continue with the other services. If you load the catering first it askes for door #3 to be closed before boarding can start.  Fortunately I have the Michael Swannick, IFly, "door switch" which allows me to close doors independantly. Otherwise the "flow" would slow down GSX servicing. I dont think there is a way round this, its just an observation. I wonder how other IFly users do it?

So its early days yet.

Thanks for a great product. Your constant support for the product is reassuring. ;D

Best regards.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:43:43 pm by C130 »
"Suspension of Disbelief". Flight Simulators! My You Tube Channel is "David Herky".

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: New Guy's first impressions
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 05:16:23 pm »
The boarding/deboarding sounds could do with better sounds, less repetative and clearer. I use a live recording of airport sound in my You Tube videos, perhaps this could be modelled from a recording of an aircraft boarding session and put in GSX? Even do regional accents for the airport we are at?

They are live recordings but, exactly to make them clearer and less repetitive, they have been processed to remove background noise and splitted in separate pieces so they can be randomized when playing, they are randomized both in sequence and in delay between each chatter bit.

I guess we might just increase the number of samples.

so I would say if you could model them in GSX it would be great. Again the FS2Crew flow includes the de-icing, so some GSX de icer trucks would be super. Especially since you guys have the modelling skills ;)

This is planned, we have de-icers in Zurich for example ( a scenery released in 2007 ) but the models are not up to GSX quality yet. Surely de-icers will come.

I use FS2Crew with the IFly. FS2Crew has a button for AES, which appears to not funtion now with GSX installed. So this prevents the use of both add ons.

I don't know that product but, surely we haven't prevented anything to work with GSX. Have an external API for developers has been already discussed on the forum, and it's surely something we'll have at a certain point, after we completed all features (like de-icers and water vehicles)

I know GSX uses the intelliscene cfg from the AES editor, which is useful, since the initial download of AES is free!

Since GSX has an integrated airplane editor now, which is very easy to use and free too (just edit an airplane on any Trial or FSDT airport) you don't need to install AES just to create an airplane configuration file, and it would be best to use the GSX editor anyway, since the intelliscene.cfg format is more limited than our own, it doesn't support things like an independent catering door not symmetric to the main door and other features we have like the ability to specify which loader and which ULD goes with a specific airplane.

C130

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 07:37:36 pm »
Thanks virtuali,

De icers on the way... ;D

The GSX editor is super!  I just realised that you must pause the sim before you enter the 3d editor or you "fly away" in slew! :o

AES is not usable with GSX, the vehicles overlap and look messy! There are only a couple of AES vehicles missing, amely the Cleaning Services and Lavatory service and the de icers which we have mantioned.

Thanks.

Regards.
"Suspension of Disbelief". Flight Simulators! My You Tube Channel is "David Herky".

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 08:09:00 pm »
The GSX editor is super!  I just realised that you must pause the sim before you enter the 3d editor or you "fly away" in slew! :o

That's a problem of your joystick that is not calibrated in the null zone, it would behave just the same if you simply went into slew mode manually. Either increase the joystick null zone, or disable it before editing, by pressing CTRL+K

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:08:47 am »
AES is not usable with GSX

Yes it is, you just need to make a couple of configuration changes.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

C130

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 09:05:09 pm »
Hello Bruce.

Yes it is, you just need to make a couple of configuration changes.

If you could tell me......Which configuration changes are these please? ???

Regards.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 09:57:33 pm »
Disable both cargo doors and the left rear door in AES, then customize your parking space and tick on the "has a jetway" box.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

C130

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 10:41:20 am »
Hi Bruce,

Disable both cargo doors and the left rear door in AES, then customize your parking space and tick on the "has a jetway" box.

Thanks, when I get back to my flight sim PC on tuesday I will give that a go.

As Virtuali said in the other post, it seems all the Aerosoft airports need AES "on" to use the animated Jetways. Otherwise they are just static scenery.

If I can use both AES and GSX at the Aerosoft airports, even if I only use GSX (which is why I purchased the program!!), then the Jetways should still work and I can use the excellent GSX vehicles!  :)

The only issue may be that AES seems to automatically start at the Gate by producing the pushback marshaller! I dont want the AES Marshaller so I dont know if it will work....Anyway thank you for the support, with that I will get it right in the end, even if I need new airports...(FSDT perhaps ;) )

Regards.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 02:45:24 pm »
when you customize your parking spot in GSX, you can tick off the marshaller so you won't have two of them, but I have no information on how to kill the AES marshaller.

C130

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 04:37:21 pm »
when you customize your parking spot in GSX, you can tick off the marshaller so you won't have two of them, but I have no information on how to kill the AES marshaller.

Hi Bruce, yes I was wondering about the AES Marshaller!  

I would prefer the GSX Marshaller and pushback. The AES pushback routine actually "freezes" the aircraft wheels and does not look right!  The AES programmer said its an issue with AES and has no resolution. GSX does not freeze the aircraft wheels on push back. This fact and the better animations, gives GSX the winning ticket (IMHO!).  So I think if I can disable the nosewheel position in AES, perhaps the AES Marshaller will "go away" :-\     Or put the nosegear position too far forward, so the AES marshaller ( in the intelliscene file) will be so far in front of the aircraft he will be having a cup of coffee in the departure lounge ;D

Also I will need to disable the front right service door (in AES editor), since the IFly uses this door to get catering supplies. In other words disable all the doors and the pushback to the aircraft in AES editor and then go with GSX! :)

I will try it when I get home!  Unless someone else is following this post and is trying to use both programmes at the same time ;)

Regards.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:48:32 pm by C130 »