Author Topic: P3D ver 1.4 & Not The Question You Think I'm Asking  (Read 3276 times)

Michael_B767_ATP

P3D ver 1.4 & Not The Question You Think I'm Asking
« on: August 25, 2012, 07:30:29 pm »
Hi,

Since you (FSDT) have an extremely slow download rate in order to receive the latest update from Prepar3D, and since you are a major contributor of addon airports for their software. Maybe something can be worked out so that FSDT gets an early release copy of the final update so the download process can begin and a new addon manager can be released at the same time.

Wonder what L/M and FSDT think about that, would be nice for the end user?.

Michael_B767_ATP

Re: P3D ver 1.4 & Not The Question You Think I'm Asking
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 07:59:30 pm »
Hi,

I just left the following message on P3D's forum, if you support this idea add you remarks.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=1575

""
Hi,

Since FSDreamTeam, a major contributor of addon airports to P3D has an extremely slow download rate and it takes them days to download P3D. Maybe something can be worked out, in that FSDT gets an early release copy of P3D. This will allow their download process to begin a few days earlier, in turn a new addon manager can be released on the same day P3D releases their update.

As it stands now, all software addons that require this addon manager (and the list of addons is growing) is immediately incompatible with any P3D update, as a result, the end user is stuck waiting for an update. This new approach of an early release to FSDT would certainly make the transition to P3D's latest version that much smoother, its good for the end user and doesn't cost either company any additional funds.
"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:03:22 pm by Michael_B767_ATP »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 11:37:48 am »
Your suggestions surely makes sense and, it's funny we also signed an NDA with LM and received the Beta of 1.0 (I still have the discs they sent me via mail) something like 2 years ago, months before the first public release, not just a few days...

I should probably asked for getting early access to the 1.4 but, the issue is, I must be absolutely sure the executable don't change from a pre-release to the final release, because there are a couple of things that even if they just recompile the executable, might move things in memory and/or change the build number, so it's probably safer to make tests on the released version anyway, because we can't be sure they won't do last-minute fixes after sending me a pre-release, and I surely can't ask them to delay the release for everybody, only to allow me to fix the Addon Manager again.

In fact, a better solution would be, instead, if they added things I need to look for in specific memory locations, as official Simconnect calls that won't change between releases, so the Addon Manager could be made forward compatible with future versions. I'll try to talk with them about this.

Now, if only they finally fixed that dreaded 3DS Max exporter...

Kosta

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 10:39:13 am »
I think the whole updating process with LM must become a well oiled machine for P3D to work well with upcoming versions.
Regular Joe simmer is bothered by this and often people stay with FSX just for the sake of not having updates.
Regards, Kosta