Author Topic: Love to buy it but ............  (Read 4918 times)

tonyc

Love to buy it but ............
« on: July 14, 2012, 03:59:03 pm »
Sorry but I have exactly the same problem as those reporting "no buildings".

When I run FSX after installation I get the alert message that there is a problem with bglmanx.dll but I choose to run it. Still no buildings at the end!

I use Avast free antivirus and have no problems with any other add ons. The only FSDT products I use are FS Inn and FS Copilot which, as far as I know, do not install the Add on manager.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:31:14 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Love to buy it but ............
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 05:34:01 pm »
When I run FSX after installation I get the alert message that there is a problem with bglmanx.dll but I choose to run it. Still no buildings at the end!

That message is an FSX bug, it doesn't have anything to do with bglmanx.dll, but it can happen with any module, and it happens randomly, I've got it today, for example, from lvld.dll, it's a bogus message.

To fix this, try to REBOOT Windows, then try again running FSX.

If you still see the message, ALLOW the module to run even if FSX crashes. Try a few times, if still doesn't work, reboot Windows again and try again.

If it still doesn't work, correctly configure your antivirus as follows:

- DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL with the antivirus entirely OFF

- Uninstall GSX. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall GSX with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu.

If you don't want to do all of this, switch to a more reliable antivirus product, one that doesn't mistakenly detect our products as threats, for example the free MS Security Essentials, which works right away without doing any special configuration.

tonyc

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 01:56:19 pm »
Thanks for coming back to me Umberto.

My anti virus is very reliable and as I said has given me no problems with a host of other scenery and aircraft downloads.

To be honest with you I would prefer to go for the alternative developer's (I wont mention the name here) version which loads first time and makes no special demands of me to change things or switch things on and off.

Many thanks anyway for your time and assistance.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 06:21:20 pm »
My anti virus is very reliable and as I said has given me no problems with a host of other scenery and aircraft downloads.

Fact that your antivirus is not bugged with other products, doesn't obviously prove it's not bugged at all and can't suffer from false positive problems.

To be honest with you I would prefer to go for the alternative developer's (I wont mention the name here) version which loads first time and makes no special demands of me to change things or switch things on and off.

That's only your loss, and of course it's just wrong to refuse to *properly* configure the antivirus this way, when the antivirus is clearly at fault. A proper antivirus always has such configuration options, to allow the user to control its behavior, because the issue of false positives is very real and, regardless how "reliable" you think your antivirus is, sooner or later you will find some problem with some software. If this issue wasn't real, antivirus never included the ability to be configured to exclude files from scanning.

And besides, if you exclude the whole FSX folder from scanning, which is very well known to be a best practice, your FSX will run faster, because all its files will stop being continuously checked in real-time each time you run it.