Author Topic: Nighttime taxiway green center line marks appear and dissappear in blocks  (Read 6880 times)

BrianG

When flying at night, the green nighttime taxiway center line marks are not consistent throughout the whole airport. As an example, when I'm landing , except for the runway I'm landing on , the airport is dark, then just before touchdown, a group of green taxiway markers will appear just before the the plane. As the plane lands and moves down the runway, it is again dark and then just as before  another group of green taxiway markers appear where they should. It seems as though it takes the presence of the plane in close proximity to make the taxi way light appear where they should.  If I do a birds eye view of the plane at the gate, it will reveal a what would be group of green center line marks about 200 feet around to the plane but no further. The rest of the taxi ways are dark. I have LAX, DFW, KLAS KORD. This is the only airport that I have these problems. Thoughts? I looked in previous threads. Someone stated this problem but was not replied to. Can I have some help with this. thanks so much. BTW, I love all these sceneries. Great job.

Thanks-
Brian

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
What is your Zoom setting ?

If it's too wide (let's say, less than 0.50) it's likely that lines are disappearing or appearing too late because the LOD optimization is dependent by the zoom setting too. We tend to optimize sceneries to work well with a zoom setting of about 0.70, which is usually considered the most realistic one.

BrianG

Yes, my zoom is set on .70. Any other ideas? I'm totally open to suggestions.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:37:01 am by BrianG »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Please give a precise and reproducible example of a place (lat/long coordinates) where you can't see enough of taxiway lights in order to be able to taxi properly, at zoom 0.70

BrianG

It happens at every location at the entire JFK airport. The lights are lit up just surrounding the airplane for a short distance. As the plane travels down the taxiway, the lights abruptly disappear behind it, and abruptly appear in front of it. There are always lights surrounding the plane for a short radius as it moves, disappearing behind it, and appearing in front of it as it travels.  Again, all taxi ways are dark except for a certain radius surrounding the plane. The presence of the plane traveling will light up taxiway lights for a short radius in front of it, and the lights will disappear behind it. This is true for the entire airport, not just on specific location. I took a screen shot to illustrate the problem. The file was too large to send here. I'll email it to you.
 Hope this clarifies.  And thanks for your excellent customer support. It makes a big difference.
Brian-

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
As I replied to you via email:

You can't send 8,3MB of attached files.

Just include COORDINATES in TEXT form in your email, with the indication of the place, and we'll check it out, no need to send pictures.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Ok, I believe your problem is not really a "problem", but just how the scenery was designed to keep fps as high as possible, keeping ranges of such objects as small as possible, in what is already a problematic area for fps, even without the airport.

However, these considerations were made in 2008 when JFK was released, we might relax it a bit now. In the attached .ZIP file, you'll find a replacement set of .BGL with all the visible ranges for those green lights doubled. Try it and see if it's enough to improve the overall visibility, and if the fps are not suffering too, we might then make this files set part of the official installer.

Unzip into the FSX\fsdreamteam\JFK\scenery folder

BrianG

Hi Umberto,
I replaced the .BGL files and the range of visibility is much improved. I noticed a very slight drop in frames, but If l weren't looking for it, I never would have noticed. I have an I-7 870 processor (2.9 ghz), AMD Radeon 6800 series Graphic card and 8 gigs of ram. Running a Captain Sim 727 ( payware) which is a real resource hog, I was still averaging around 20-25 FPS. I imagine with a FSX default , frames would be much improved.
 Now, when I taxi, I no longer get the lights appearing in blocks as it did before and the entire airport is lit up.  When landing I still get the lights in blocks starting about 1 mile out but once on the ground everything is fine. Might not hurt to boost up the visibility a bit more?  I wouldn't mind giving it a try.  Just one thing - the green taxi lights are larger at JFK than at the other FSdreamteam airports. Is that how JFK is in the real world compared to others airports?  Again, fantastic customer support. Thanks-

Cheers,
Brian
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:29:50 am by BrianG »

wallydog69

I've installed this as well with minimal FPS impact..I also wouldn't mind increasing the range a bit more. - perhaps double (x4 from the original).

Thanks!

Silverbird

I just noticed this thread today will give a shot also thanks for giving us the option Umberto.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR