Author Topic: Help! Good install - all works but NO SOUND for GSX  (Read 7321 times)

crauds

Help! Good install - all works but NO SOUND for GSX
« on: June 02, 2012, 01:41:04 pm »
I have successfully reinstalled and activated latest build of GSX and I can play the sounds on my desktop.  They play thru MediaPlayer correctly.  I have Realtek sound card that also tests correctly.  My control panel shows the realtek as being default and does not show Mediaplayer anywhere but attempting to reinstall it states that it is up to date and installed.  When I play FSX - all sounds work but GSX is silent.  FSX has never given me a sound option other than default or Realtek.  Neither option will activate GSX sound.

I have VISTA 64 and I have UAC turned off and I always activate all programs as "administrator".  Never had issues before my complete reinstall.  Anyone have any ideas?

Craig
Craig Williams
I7 7700K OC to 4.8Ghz 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz SD RAM GTX1060 6GB LIQ Cooled Win10 Home 64

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Help! Good install - all works but NO SOUND for GSX
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:19:03 pm »
GSX requires OpenAL to be supported by your audio drivers, if your audio drivers don't support OpenAL, sound will not work in GSX.

Try to either download new/updated sound drivers for your audio card or, if you already are using the manufacturer's audio drivers, try to switch to the default Windows drivers instead.

Also, try to install this OpenAL file from Creative:

http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip

boilerbill

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:20:24 pm »
I had a similar experience with my Realtek card. When I first installed it, GSX wasn't completely silent. But it was very quiet. When I opened the Mixer, I found the problem -- the slider for GSX was set very low. Try that on your computer and see what the mixer levels show.
Stu

Specs: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07 Hz, 12 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX 465 w/4 GB RAM, Driver v301.42 , LG W2753 monitor (1920x1080x32), Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

crauds

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 04:34:22 pm »
Umberto, I downloaded and installed the program you recommended then rebooted but I still have no audio for GSX thru FSX.  All my other sounds work fine thru FSX.  I have switched to default within FSX but still no GSX sound.  When I select to play any of the GSX sound files from the desktop they play correctly thru WindowsMedia interface.  I know it is not fault of GSX since it was working fine for me before I had to do the complete reinstall of my system.  I notice the file you recommended seems like it is something related to installing.  Do you recommend that I now uninstall and reinstall GSX v1.5 now that I have installed what you recommended?

I still have not installed all of my aircraft models and since I did so originally over a several year period of time, it is possible that other system/support files were added or updated behind the scenes along with these installs and therefore by the time I installed GSX it had everthing it needed to work properly.

My Vista 64 WindowsMedia software is v11 which is the latest and it was installed directly from my VISTA SP1 recovery disk.  I also installed only the updates that I recall having installed before.  Those I did not install were all internet security-related so should not effect internal functioning of any software.  I have UAC off and I operate FSX with internet and virus disconnected so should have no interaction from these.  Other than that...?

Craig
Craig Williams
I7 7700K OC to 4.8Ghz 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz SD RAM GTX1060 6GB LIQ Cooled Win10 Home 64

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 04:39:31 pm »
All my other sounds work fine thru FSX.

This doesn't mean much: GSX requires OpenAL to be working properly. If your sound driver doesn't support OpenAL, or doesn't support it properly, you'll hear sounds in all applications, except those requiring OpenAL, and GSX is one of them.

Those I did not install were all internet security-related so should not effect internal functioning of any software.  I have UAC off and I operate FSX with internet and virus disconnected so should have no interaction from these.  Other than that...?

Don't assume that something that is named in some way (like "security hotfix against intrusion") doesn't have any other repercussion on the entire system if not installed. Almost constantly, Microsoft includes updated Visual C++ runtime .DLLs together with their Hotfixes, and they impact basically everything.

So, try again and let Windows update everything, even optional things, optional hotfixes and drivers.