Author Topic: Duplicate Afcad or Airport files  (Read 4511 times)

bigmack

Duplicate Afcad or Airport files
« on: May 12, 2012, 10:05:49 pm »
I installed 1.5 version of GEX. Why does it keep installing duplicate afcads for FSDT airports I already have installed. Are the duplicates the latest parking and runway assignments if not I want my custom afcads back.

Bill M

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Duplicate Afcad or Airport files
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 11:57:52 pm »
Why does it keep installing duplicate afcads for FSDT airports I already have installed

It doesn't, check better your folder, there are no duplicates.

If you modified the AFCAD, it will download the most current version of the AFCAD, but it will also make a BACKUP of your old file, with date/time of the installation, with a .BAK extension, so it's not a duplicate because is not seen by FSX.

Are the duplicates the latest parking and runway assignments

They are the most current version as made by us, which usually fix small problems reported by users.

if not I want my custom afcads back.

The whole point of making a backup, is that you can restore your customization by simply copying it over the standard file. Of course, it's best if you base your modifications with a recent version of our AFCAD, otherwise you'll get your modifications back, but you'll lose our recent fixes.

bigmack

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 07:29:36 pm »
Thanks for your reply.
It actually did install duplicate afcad because I rename all the airport files with suffix ie "AFX_KDFW" so i can easily indentify them. GEX install duplicate file with suffix AP_KDFW.

No problem I just deleted all airport files with newer dates.
Great product though

Bill M :D :D :D :D :D

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:57:27 pm »
It actually did install duplicate afcad because I rename all the airport files with suffix ie "AFX_KDFW" so i can easily indentify them. GEX install duplicate file with suffix AP_KDFW.

This just confirm what I've said, the installer doesn't install any "duplicates", it's you that created a duplicate by renaming the AFCAD file and obviously the installer will not touch something with a name it doesn't recognize as belonging to the official set of files. A backup is made only if your modified AFCAD has the same name of the original file.

What do you expect the installer should otherwise do, remove *everything* in the scenery folder before installing anything (in case you added something with a new name), just to be sure that no duplicates will ever be possibly created, so people will complain "the installer has zapped my folder!!"  ???

bigmack

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 11:44:41 pm »
Thanks

Bill M