Author Topic: Manual Requested for the F/A-18 and all its capabilities...  (Read 7715 times)

JamesChams

Dear Virtuali Staff,

Is there a manual for the F/A-18 and all its capabilities?

I ask this because incorrect pushing of buttons can result in a CTD.  I can do that everytime with certain softkeys when they are NOT done in the procedural sequence that you've listed for setting up navigation.  I hope to avoid these and fly right.

I've read and followed your instructions for the Navigations, Radios, and Autopilot that was posted and it has been a great help.  But there are a few questions I have regarding its navigation and display features that I cannot seem to get answered by just playing with it.  I seek the full functionality of the real GPS and auto pilot that you've modeled.  Any more documentation for this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 12:45:51 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Manual Requested for the F/A-18 and all its capabilities...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 12:55:38 am »
The navigations capabilities in the Acceleration F/A-18 are more or less what is explained in the navigation tutorial post and in the instrumentation post, there isn't much "hidden". That tutorial, of course, do not repeats a concept, when the behavior is the same that FSX standard A/P or navigation in a similar mode.

About CTD, there's only one known sequence of actions that might crash the sim, and it's the loading of a flight that was saved when a flight plan was active. To fix it, it's enough to always start with a flight that didn't had an active flight plan when it was saved. Load a normal flight, then load or create a flight plan, and there will be no problems.

However, if there's something not clear to you, just ask here...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 01:13:29 am by virtuali »

JamesChams

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 01:58:04 am »
Dear Virtuali Staff,

About CTD, there's only one known sequence of actions that might crash the sim, and it's the loading of a flight that was saved when a flight plan was active. To fix it, it's enough to always start with a flight that didn't had an active flight plan when it was saved. Load a normal flight, then load or create a flight plan, and there will be no problems.

However, if there's something not clear to you, just ask here...

Thank you for your willingness to help....

1. Regarding the CTD, I was loading flights with pre-planned Flight plans.  If I am to understand correctly, I should only load the flight planner after the "free flight" is loaded; Correct?

2. I too am not able to change the Center (Lower) DDI MFD Button from NORM to D-CTR like this gentlemen. What am I not doing correctly?

Hi I am a new guy to this site and found very good articles on F18. My F18 following is not working:
ARC mode: this is done by rotating the small knob on the top left of the CENTER DDI, on the D-CTR position. I cannot rotate it.

3. When the MFD is programmed with the WPT to follow, it performs well.  However, If I load/activate an approach (when arriving at my destination) into the GPS for the Airport to Land; Do I then SELECT the GPS softkey from this MFD to initiate the GPS approach fase to be used or is there another setup method that I'm missing?  I ask this because I get NO LPV/LNAV/VNAV guidence for a GPS approach on the HUD or MFD's.  Without this (positive course guidance) an approach cannot be made legally, especially in IMC, even if it is just simulated here.  I have yet to try this with an ILS or Back-Course Localizer (BC) approach but I decided to start with what you posted first.

4. I use a ITRA ActivePanel NAVSTACK2 device for my radios and autopilot so, I can get away without having to punch too many keys on the HUD Mount or MFD's.  But I would like to know how to do several functions, including calculating Time as Reference for shooting an approach or performing a Hold.  Is there a built-in Clock, with functionallity, in this Bird for that purpose and how is it operated?

5. There are other MFD Displays with A-A Radar capabilities, Store Management (SMS), ACL, FPAS, BIT and HUD symbology that I wanted to get a little more information on; in as far as they relate to the management of a flight in this awesome bird of your's.  I got the Avionics Map, is there a manual to accompany it with these details?

Thank you for your time and attention.
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 01:34:30 pm »
1. Regarding the CTD, I was loading flights with pre-planned Flight plans.  If I am to understand correctly, I should only load the flight planner after the "free flight" is loaded; Correct?

Yes. The important thing is not to start from a flight that was saved when a flight plan was active.

2. I too am not able to change the Center (Lower) DDI MFD Button from NORM to D-CTR like this gentlemen. What am I not doing correctly?

Don't know. It works fine here. Note that you should use the mouse wheel, not mouse keys.

3. When the MFD is programmed with the WPT to follow, it performs well.  However, If I load/activate an approach (when arriving at my destination) into the GPS for the Airport to Land; Do I then SELECT the GPS softkey from this MFD to initiate the GPS approach fase to be used or is there another setup method that I'm missing? 

The F/A-18 doesn't know anything about approaches. In fact, I wouldn't even try to use the default GPS together with the F/A-18 instrumentation. Some things might work, but we never tested it.

Is there a built-in Clock, with functionallity, in this Bird for that purpose and how is it operated?

No Clock, sorry.

5. There are other MFD Displays with A-A Radar capabilities, Store Management (SMS), ACL, FPAS, BIT and HUD symbology that I wanted to get a little more information on

SMS is not operational, since we don't have any weapons stores. For the other missing functions, as I've said, just ask what it's not clear to you.

JamesChams

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 05:18:53 am »
There are a few questions I still have:-

1.  What does the EM CON annunciator on the HUD/radio panel used for and the D/L button on the autopilot do?
2.  Could you describe the RADAR symbology on the MFD RDR...
a.  What are the dull-green boxes - AI - Ships/Vehicles? (See photo: "DULL-GREEN-RDR-MFD.jpg")
b.  When a target is selected, is it an airborne target? What do the Carrots represent?
    (See photo: "TARGET-RDR-MFD.jpg")
c.  Can you explains the numbering around it.  Are these examples of Alt, RNG, or Velocity cues?
    (See photo: "TARGET-INFO-RDR-MFD.jpg")
3. What uses do the E/W, S/A and SENS on the MFD have?
a. Why do they say INOP (Inoperative)?
b. How do I activate their functions?
c. Do they actually function or are they like the SMS?
4. What does the ATTN INS switch do? 
a. Is it an operative Inertial Navigation System (INS)?
b. Please explain its functionality; if it has one?

Finally, the HUD ILS and all the functions you've described work very nicely. (See Photo:"F-18-ILS.jpg")  I really like the GDI+ settings and several of the BIT function status readouts. Truely, this is really an amazing model.  Outstanding work Gents!  Or as you would say in your language, "Bravo!"  I'm really looking forward to your next one too; the F-14...Until then I'm content with this.

Thank you for all your hard work and keep it up!  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 01:15:32 pm by virtuali »
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 01:21:53 pm »
1.  What does the EM CON annunciator on the HUD/radio panel used for and the D/L button on the autopilot do?

Both are not operational

2.  Could you describe the RADAR symbology on the MFD RDR...
a.  What are the dull-green boxes - AI - Ships/Vehicles?

Since this it's an AA radar, the only things showed here are AI airplanes that are actually flying. The dull green boxes are, of course, the targets.

What do the Carrots represent?

They give a visual representation of where the target is headed

c.  Can you explains the numbering around it.  Are these examples of Alt, RNG, or Velocity

It was already explained here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=52.0

3. What uses do the E/W, S/A and SENS on the MFD have?

Not much.

a. Why do they say INOP (Inoperative)?

Because they are not modeled in this simulation.

4. What does the ATTN INS switch do? 

Nothing.

JamesChams

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 04:39:01 pm »
Dear Virtuali Staff,

I hope that my posting of the YouTube Video or my questions/comments didn't offend you in any way.  I, merely, wanted to inform you of the exact problem I was having with the GPS & A/P during the approach phase of the flight to see if there was a known solution.

But, for the rest - Thank you!  This is a remarkable aircraft model and I hope that your F-14, "to be", will best this one too and include all the features of navigation, including the GPS, that were not included/tested with the F/A-18.

Now, I'll leave you alone to do what you do best and I will do the same.  ;)

Thank you very much and I'm patiently awaiting KJFK.
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

diga

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 05:19:58 am »
Hi,

I found how the DDI MFD Button from NORM to D-CTR works. Click with Mouse near the DDI and then move the mouse about 1-2cm away from the button, still holding the mouse button. Then with a bigger diameter rotate the mouse - this is how it can be change. try few times.
Vista Ultimate 32
GA-P35-DS3R
FSB1333
Intel E6750
4GB Memory 6400
Gigabyte 8600GT
FSX with Acceleration
500GB HD
Mitsubishi RDT 22" WIDE