Author Topic: GSX dll problem  (Read 3609 times)

hughthompson

GSX dll problem
« on: March 24, 2012, 05:45:14 pm »
,,i

I can't get my copy of GSX to function now. At the FSX start up sequence it asks you if you want to load the "couatl.exe" to which the answer is "yes".

However before launching itself FSX is now throwing up an error dialogue which says the following "FSdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe        then     Name: bgl dynamic link library  Version. 2,9,0,1   Company Virtuali s.a.s.     then   File  bglmanx.dll

It further says "Do you want to run this programme(not recommended)"

Of course if I respond"don't run" it won't show in the Add-ons once FSX is running. If I respond "yes" FSX crashes to desktop.

I have a Windows 7 OS but in order to get some of my add-ons to work I have had to put my FSX settings back to XP2 with accelleration pack.

Why won't GSX run?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX dll problem
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:17:01 pm »
Try to allow the module to run, even if FSX crashes, try a few times, then reboot Windows again, and if still doesn't work, try uninstalling/reinstalling, and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" when uninstalling, then reinstall again.

CXA362

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 12:24:20 am »
Still not working for after few reboot and re installing
Still getting the message >:(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:36:00 am »
I have a Windows 7 OS but in order to get some of my add-ons to work I have had to put my FSX settings back to XP2 with accelleration pack.

This is not very clear: are you saying you are running FSX into "XP2 Compatibility mode ?" Or, that you removed Windows 7 and reinstalled XP ?

Sorry, but having to run FSX into "XP Compatibility" mode is just wrong, even if it's usually suggested by 3rd party addon developers that are unable to program a software which is Vista/Windows 7 compliant. Our products are 100% Vista/Windows 7 compliant, so they run in native Windows 7 mode, and the XP Compatibility shouldn't be used.

The problem usually lies with the fact that those addons try to write in the FSX folder which, by default, is under C:\Program Files, which can't be written.

To fix issues with products that are not Vista/Win7 compliant, and try to write in the FSX folder (they shouldn't, a proper Vista/Win7 application should write *only* under %APPDATA% ), there are much better ways than moving the whole FSX folder, for example:

- Turn off UAC

OR, even better:

- Change the permissions for the FSX folder (and its subfolders), and add your user name with "Full control" permissions.

This way, programs launched in regular mode and not as Administrator, will be allowed to write in the FSX folder, even if it's located under C:\Program Files, and without requiring to turn off UAC entirely, and without having to always run everything as Administrator.

Of course, if you have to reinstall FSX from scratch anyways, it's usually easier to install into a custom folder, like "C:\FSX", but if you already have a running installation, the permission change is the best option, and won't create any side effects with anything.