Author Topic: FS9 install error  (Read 6787 times)

madhattr15

FS9 install error
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:22:48 pm »
I had to format my hard drive and install back to factory settings. I tried installing KDFW and had FS9 "stopped working" error right after first screen. I have tried every solution suggested but get the same error. If I uninstall the scenery FS9 works fine. I have never had this problem before so I am quite puzzled and cannot use my scenery from you. Something must have happened with the last install of Windows but I don't know what. I hope you can help me so I can use your scenery

Thanks

Allan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FS9 install error
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:58:51 pm »
It's possible the antivirus is interfering:

Turn the Antivirus OFF

- Uninstall KDFW. Reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?"

- Reinstall KDFW. Don't launch FS9 yet

- Configure your antivirus to ignore the MODULES\bglman.dll file in the FS9 folder. Or the whole MODULES folder. Yes, this is important.

- Turn the Antivirus back ON, then launch FS9.

madhattr15

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 03:22:48 am »
Tried the above procedre and got the same results FS9 aborts

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:28:21 am »
Are you using the Key2Mouse program perhaps ? There's a problem with it:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=5667.msg50962#msg50962

Follow the explanation in that thread, even if it was for FSX, the file affected is the same.

madhattr15

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:23:01 pm »
The file isn't there. I just don't understand I have installed these airports before but since I reformatted and installed my system from the recovery disks I cannot install these airports. I guess I will just have to do without your scenery, it's a shame because I love them and wanted to install more. I have tried with all 3 I have Kord, Kdfw and PHNL. I wish I could regester them without the addon manager.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:40:26 pm »
Then I'm sorry, if you don't have the Esellerateengine file in the C:\Windows folder, the only explanation left, is that you antivirus is still interferring, blocking the update of the file with the most current version and, if you get a mix-match between old and new files, FS9 will quit to desktop when launched.

Double check the antivirus again: it wouldn't be the first time we heard of antivirus products so invasive and so bugged, they keep blocking files, even if you explicitly allow them, and without warning.

madhattr15

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 04:43:56 am »
I have new information on this problem. I installed Cloud9 Amsterdam and FS9 came up with the addon module showing. By installing KDFW and then coping the files installed by Cloud9 FS9 worked whe I removed the BGLMA_SKYMAKERS file from the modules folder FS9 worked but when I selected Fsdreamteam all that was listed was Zurichx whitch I didn't have nstalled. If I could get KDFW to appear I could register it. Seems to be a problem with the files loaded into the modules folder from KDFW because it works with the files from the Cloud9 install minus the above file.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 10:31:35 am »
Seems to be a problem with the files loaded into the modules folder from KDFW because it works with the files from the Cloud9 install minus the above file.

Sorry, but that's not the case.

The files loaded with KDFW don't have any problem but, if your antivirus is mistakenly blocking the updated .DLL, the old .DLL that came with the Cloud9 installer works only with the old set of .DAT files, that's why I'm saying it's likely the antivirus because, the files that comes with KDFW are the most updated version, they WORK, provided all of them gets installed. The antivirus can't block the .DAT file, but if it blocks the .DLL, you end up with mix-matched files from old and new version together, and THAT will cause FS9 to quite.

madhattr15

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 07:29:28 am »
Well I have removed my antivirus program and disabled all firewall programs and reinstalled FS9 after removing all files and still FS9 aborts with a vanilla FS9 after installing the patch. If I remove all the files from the modules folder after installing Chicago ohare FS9 works. If I could get the scenery registered and working without using the addon manager it would be ok. I just don't understand why it works on my old machine with xp and nt on this machine with vista 64.
I sure wish I could get this working so I can add your other scenery.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 11:09:00 am »
I can only confirm that, if FS9 quits without warning, the only possible reason is that you a mix-match between older and newer Addon Manager files, which can only be caused by the antivirus blocking some files and let pass others, creating a mismatch between versions.

I'm sorry, but the one and only solution is the first suggested:

Turn the Antivirus OFF

- Uninstall KDFW. Reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?"

- Reinstall KDFW. Don't launch FS9 yet

- Configure your antivirus to ignore the MODULES\bglman.dll file in the FS9 folder. Or the whole MODULES folder. Yes, this is important.

- Turn the Antivirus back ON, then launch FS9.

Do this, only this, don't skip any steps, don't do anything extra, don't touch files manually, the installer works and knows what to do. And, don't use old installers, if you are not sure, download them again.

If you have to install any Cloud9 stuff, do it first, and THEN install the current Stand-Alone Addon Manager for FS9, as explained on the Cloud9 page.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 02:57:17 pm »
Another thing you can check, is if you have multiple version of the esellerate .dll, the Addon Manager installer should prevent this, but in some cases due to permission issues in Windows 7, it needs manual intervention.

Check the following locations for this file:

C:\Windows\Esellerateengine.dll

C:\ProgramData\Esellerate\Esellerateengine.dll ( this is an hidden folder by default, you might have to turn on hidden files view in Explorer to see it )

YourFSXFolder\Esellerateengine.dll

If you have such file, remove ALL the copies you find, then reinstall the scenery again. The correct location in Windows 7 is under C:\ProgramData\ all  the other must be removed.

madhattr15

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 11:07:36 pm »
I stated before I don't have any antivirus installed or firewalls and it still aborts. I read yur install instructions a couple of times and I think I found I found the problem. You state "Addon Manager for FS9 will run in XP+SP2 and Vista (32 bit only!)," I have a 64 bit system. So my question now is how can I install this scenery, is there a manual way without the addon manager?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 12:17:04 am »
The current version of the Addon Manager for FS9 runs just fine in Windows 7 64 bit (this is the only OS we use and we test under it nowadays), without any modifications.

This means you must have set something wrong: is FS9 running under the "XP Compatibilty" ? If yes, turn it immediately off, because this is not how any Flight sim version should work under Windows 7. Check the Properties for the FS9.EXE file, and be sure NOTHING is enabled in the "Compatibility" tab, which is the default setting.

Also, try to run FS9 As Administrator, at least one.

madhattr15

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 01:14:18 am »
Why are you saying Windows 7 I HAVE WINDOWS VISTA 64 bit and your instructions say addon manager will not work on that platform. I have tried everything with esellerate and cannot find any way to contact them. I tried to do a manual install but it requires a installation id and I don't know what that is I have tried all numbers on my order and nothing works nor can I find any explanation on there web site. I guess I will have to forgo any more purchases until I upgrade to Windows 7.   

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 12:16:14 pm »
Why are you saying Windows 7 I HAVE WINDOWS VISTA 64 bit

There's no difference between the two in this regard. It works both in Vista and Windows 7, both 64 bit.

and your instructions say addon manager will not work on that platform

The website only say it works on some OS which were available when the website was written, which means those OS were the only one that we tested on at that time. That doesn't automatically mean it *won't* run on newer OS, just that we didn't guaranteed it would, because at that time we never tested on 64 bit OSs.

Now we do, and I'm telling you IT WORKS on all Windows OS, including Vista 64 bit, and we have tested this.

So please, accept the explanation that your OS is NOT the problem.

I have tried everything with esellerate and cannot find any way to contact them.

If FS9 quits at start, the Esellerate folks don't have anything to do with this. I've already listed all the possible reasons why this could happen.

I tried to do a manual install but it requires a installation id and I don't know what that is I have tried all numbers on my order and nothing works nor can I find any explanation on there web site.

This would be required ONLY to activate the product without an internet connection. Your problem is NOT an activation problem. If there's no activation the program will NOT quit, it will just run a scenery in Trial mode, for 5 minutes at them, then the buildings will disappear.

If the activation had anything to do with this, I would told you so.

I guess I will have to forgo any more purchases until I upgrade to Windows 7. 

As I've said, your OS is not a problem, at all, since the program runs just fine on BOTH Vista and Windows 7 so, the problem must be something else.

You still haven't replied to my question, though: do you run FS9.EXE in any of the Compatibility modes ? Be sure you turn everything OFF in the "Compatibility" tab of the "Properties" page for the FS9.EXE.

You can also try removing DEP, as explained here:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/disable-and-turn-off-or-enable-or-turn-on-data-execution-prevention-dep-in-windows-vista/