Author Topic: Norton Internet Security - Not happy with GSX.exe files!  (Read 10259 times)

Morten

Norton Internet Security - Not happy with GSX.exe files!
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:22:15 am »
Norton Internet Security is very suspicious about all GSX.exe files and puts them immediately into quarantine and comes with serious warnings - I wonder why? - Anyway, pretty irritating when I have to dig them out again and again!  :-\ 

flapsup

Re: Norton Internet Security - Not happy with GSX.exe files!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 04:11:45 am »
Get rid of Norton. The worse garbage anti virus you can buy. Sorry to be blunt, but it is.

Morten

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:24:03 am »
Nono, not any more buddy!

Lawgiver

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:29:52 am »
I use Norton 360 and had no issues with GSX.  Now the paint kit was a different story.  360 didn't like it at all and deleted the file as soon as the download was done.  Didn't even quarantine the file.  Had to disable anti-virus so I could download the file and then re-enable.

Rob 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:23:27 am »
Norton complained about the *PAINTKIT* ??? This is really ridiculous, it's a .PDF with lots of empty folders for simobjects and some .DDS textures, there's not even an executable, except for the installer itself.

If we had to find a more clear example of a defective antivirus program, I couldn't find a better one.

Spare yourself of this nonsense, remove it immediately (what would be its next target, Notepad ? ), and install something that works, for example the free MS Security Essentials, which works, it's easy to use, it's always kept updated, and doesn't mistakenly identify anything of our stuff as threats, without requiring to configure anything.

Lawgiver

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 11:52:28 am »
Hi Umberto,

Just for info, I copied this from the Norton log.....

Medium
This file risk is medium.
Origin
Downloaded from  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29695365/gsx_paintkit_fsx_setup.exe
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29695365/gsx_paintkit_fsx_setup.exe Downloaded File gsx_paintkit_fsx_setup.exe
(WS.Reputation.1) from: dropbox.com
 gsx_paintkit_fsx_setup.exe

Regards,
Rob

Gerwil

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 12:08:23 pm »
Spare yourself of this nonsense, remove it immediately (what would be its next target, Notepad ? ), and install something that works, for example the free MS Security Essentials, which works, it's easy to use, it's always kept updated, and doesn't mistakenly identify anything of our stuff as threats, without requiring to configure anything.

I second that, it's the best trouble free protection a Windows PC can get without slowing processes (like FSX) down. Above that its free. Norton is for Mac ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:11:19 pm by Koyaan »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 12:38:56 pm »
(WS.Reputation.1) from: dropbox.com

There's a 20 pages long thread on Symantec forum about legit applications mistakenly flagged as threats with a"WS.Reputation.1"

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/What-is-WS-Reputation-1/td-p/228251

Basically, Ws.Reputation.1 is not the name of a known threat, it's just a generic indication that a file has been flagged as a threat because of the location it was downloaded from.

If that log is an indication, it seems the whole dropbox.com domain has been flagged as dangerous ( about 50 million users... ), which tells a lot of questionable the heuristic is.

fls

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:33:03 pm »
Listen to Umberto its his product Had norton terrible frame rates and found out it was why I had to re-install FSX and Addons so many times Switch to AVG Free and have no problems since I also run magabytes maleware found GSX problem but let me put it in an ignore folder. GREAT Program. Most setup programs use some non harmful malware.

Frank Schneider

KEEP TRUCKING FSDT I LOVE YOUR PRODUCTS.....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:35:17 pm by fls »

Andrew737

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 12:15:48 am »
Norton is for Mac

Do macs get viruses then?

I have 4 running with NO AV and have had for ten years - not got a virus yet! :)
Regards Andrew

Gerwil

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 10:41:11 am »
 :) I don't know. Only once upon a time there were Symantec products for Mac's only. If memory serves me well, Norton Suitecase was one of them.

Edit: ehh no, it was Adobe Suitcase and Norton Disk Doctor :) /edit
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:12:53 am by Koyaan »

Morten

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 04:40:28 pm »
Norton is of course both for Mac and Windows!  :D
I use Win7 in network with another XP PC. Until i bought Norton Internet Security, I had some really dragging firewall problems between the two PC's. Until then I tested a lot of different antivirus programs. Either they screwed up my network or used to much processor power. All the time I neglected Norton, because I've had so much terrible experience with them in the past. That is, however, until i read some very promising tests/reviews + top awards on particularly Norton Internet Security 2010 and on.. (don't know about Nortons other products).
I decided therefor to give it a try. It turned out to be the best and most silent antivirus/firewall program that I've ever had!
Easy and intelligent firewall handling and low processor use - it even goes into sleep mode when in FSX. In fact you can manually configure which programs to implement the sleeping mode.
Believe it or not, but it is actually the first time in a year, that Norton seems to overreact on some, in this case, GSX exe files!
For that reason alone I obviously don't want to get rid of through Norton!  :D
In the long term, however, one should always keep an eye to new development among all the antivirus developers - things change fast in that branch, so maybe ahead in 4-5 years or so Norton is crab again compared to others - but right now it is hot!   

Lawgiver

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 11:45:37 pm »
Anyone have any thoughts on Avast??

Morten

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 01:10:26 am »
Anyone have any thoughts on Avast??

That way you'll get hundreds of opinions pointing in all directions - instead you really should try and search for some core comparable test results.  ;)  

titanion

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 10:43:29 am »
The same problem happens with ESET NOD32 when trying to install GSX but you can skip it., so it isn't a really big issue...