Author Topic: Sludge Hornet F/A-18  (Read 37785 times)

SUBS17

Re: Sludge Hornet F/A-18
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 12:27:58 am »
vLSO 0.4 does not pick up the new Sludge! Also why have extra data when the MFD shows necessary data eg the trim setting perhaps such things should be left in the MFD as IRL. Just an idea I suppose for testing purposes its ok for that text box in game but what you want is that removed eventually and the aircraft to only show what is shown IRL. One idea is to replace the text box with coaching for setting up the landing eg trim, dump fuel etc. Also found a bug the parking brake keeps coming on in flight, weird. I'm using a TM Cougar.

Orion

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 12:37:46 am »
It may be on my end I may have missed something quite likely,
The parking brake red indicator in the bottom left corner of the screen flashes while the VC handle rotates as well.  This is continous but doesn't seem to affect anything.  I can set the parking brake as I start engines but when the brake is released it flashes and move.

I'll guess my end has the problem.  Any insight is welcome.
This happens to me as well.  I think the pulsating brakes are part of Sludge's solution to the smoother trap.

wilycoyote4

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 12:45:45 am »
Many thanks Orion
it's not a problem as everything else is fine, just looks odd if I pay attention to it.

cobrales

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 02:45:06 am »
Thank's for a great F18.........

Herbie

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 03:20:11 am »
vLSO 0.4 does not pick up the new Sludge! Also why have extra data when the MFD shows necessary data eg the trim setting perhaps such things should be left in the MFD as IRL. Just an idea I suppose for testing purposes its ok for that text box in game but what you want is that removed eventually and the aircraft to only show what is shown IRL. One idea is to replace the text box with coaching for setting up the landing eg trim, dump fuel etc. Also found a bug the parking brake keeps coming on in flight, weird. I'm using a TM Cougar.
[/quote

Hello Subs!
I do not have a FA18 Cockpit at my home, just FSX and 24 inch monitor. I like what Sludge did and I see the Trim-setting very easy. Maybe this is not your personal liking, so erase it. Here is it how:
In FSUIPC module from Pete Dowson, enter this:[Buttons]
ButtonRepeat=20,10
EliminateTransients=Yes
pollinterval=50
1=PA,8,C66079,0 ;//Gear-up
2=PA,9,C66080,0 ;//Gear-down
3=PA,13,K81,9 ;//Tailhook
P=Pulse A=my Joystick, 8, 9= the Toggle-button T1 on my Joystik Gear up/down C is the Microsoft Coding. Now with the Tailhook down BTN #13 (T5) I can make a shift+6 on the keyboard and the display: Trim and IFOL closes without the Tail-hook going up. This is what you want,right? Herb

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:33:19 am by Herbie »

sonofabeech

• sonofabeech is in the slot
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 11:58:28 am »
Hi Sludge

Long time bro ..I see you been busy again  :)

Thanks so much for all your work .. Love the way the sludge responds to the throttle inputs on approach. In the past I have always had to apply some stick input once trimmed up but for the first time ever I now feel like the sludge is responding the way it should ie throttle controls height and nose controls speed :) makes corrections on glideslope so much more predictable even with the delayed responses. I also suffer from the parking brake issue however I have noticed a nasty side effect.. yesterday I boltered and because the wheel brakes were turning on and off it was like touching down in wet concrete the brakes sapped all of my speed and with the reduction in speed I only just managed at full AB to avoid going into the drink. :o  I guess the obvious solution is dont bolter but if this issue can be sorted out I would be very gratefull.

We really need to get back out to the virtual San Diego for some sessions behind the boat again.

Sonofabeech out!!!   
Simon"Sonofa"Beech
If you have use full afterburner to taxi to your parking spot it means that you landed with your gear up!!

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 05:59:18 pm »
WILY...

The parking brake red indicator in the bottom left corner of the screen flashes while the VC handle rotates as well.

Yes, that was an on-going test that I forgot to eliminate from the Test Package. Ill send out another Base_FCS.XML soon, that eliminates that problem.

SUBS...

vLSO 0.4 does not pick up the new Sludge!

Not sure why it cant pick it up. I've flown using the new 0.4 and the test Sludge and it works. You'll have to elaborate on your test setup.

Also why have extra data when the MFD shows necessary data eg the trim setting perhaps such things should be left in the MFD as IRL.

I did this because its easier to read this stuff than it is on the MFDs. Especially the the TRIM and FUEL states. The Wire Caught information block has been there for a while for people that like to have that information on touchdown. Plus, it was CAPTs request to have TRIM included as well as the FUEL states, so you can have a proper ball call without having to zoom into the MFDs. Remember, not everybody flies with a big monitor and cannot read the default Hornet MFDs clearly even after adjusting the GDI page to max intensity.

I've found a structural bug if you pull high G at 600kts it causes a crash from structual damage.

Exactly what are you doing? Is HIGH-G sustained 10 plus Gs at 600kts? Gimme the exact scenario and I'll re-look at the contact points and scrape damage limits.

Cobrales...

Thanks, appreciate it.

SIMON...

You old dog, its good to hear from you!!  Yeah, I've been busy, losing sleep over modding/tweaking again. Guess when it gets cold around here and I can't golf, you can pretty much guess what I will be doing.

Love the way the sludge responds to the throttle inputs on approach. In the past I have always had to apply some stick input once trimmed up but for the first time ever I now feel like the sludge is responding the way it should ie throttle controls height and nose controls speed

No problem, and thanks for the good words. Alot of the fellas are saying the same thing, but everyone should thank Mike and his son Chris (real world USMC Hornet driver), as they pointed out the folly of my earlier versions. So I stopped modding mid-stream (stings, i know) and went back to the default versions weight balance and sure enough. BAM-O, you now have trim-stabilized approaches that are mostly dependent on throttle for glideslope adjustments. Stick is now only used for lineup corrections. The key for me was hearing Chris say "the default Hornet was the best on approach". This made me re-think and re-mod some of the approach dynamics, as I think I'd strayed too far off-track at that point.

We really need to get back out to the virtual San Diego for some sessions behind the boat again.

No doubt. You'd like the "new guys" (to me) that we fly with, especially JIMI (FSXBA) and all the fellas of the FSXBA. Little more adult humor (goes from zero-to-raunchy in 5 seconds) but the Skype sessions and flying are really good. I haven't flown with them ALOT in multiplayer but every now and then I'll get out there.

Later
Sludge

wilycoyote4

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 01:27:33 am »
Simon @
thanks so far only caught a wire once, rest were waveoffs so no bolter to see but I'll try some more and a bolter will occur

or

Sludge @
ok looking forward to next download

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 03:22:23 am »
Fellas...

Here's the fixed files.

Once you download, UNZIP, then copy/paste the AIRCRAFT.CFG into the main folder, overwrite the prior version. Then do the same with the PANEL.CFG in the PANEL folder. Then, copy/paste the whole BASIC folder into the PANEL folder.

www.sludgehornet.com/downloads/Sludge_Test_UPDATE.zip

Later
Sludge

Johan

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 02:54:26 am »
Hello Sludge,

I was finally able to install your new test bird....very impressed with the new handling. Amazing approach on the AC and for me, not the slightest bucking at landing. One thing I have lost though, and I am not sure why, is the g-vapor effect ...Please let me know if normal, or are there any new effects I need to install with this new version.
Thanks a lot,

Johan

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 08:59:08 am »
Johan...

Glad you liked the new tweaks/mods... and when I get home from work tomorrow, I'll dig into your problem and see whats happening. No NEW effects, it should be the same and work as-is with no corrections needed on your part.

Later
Sludge
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:17:38 am by Sludge »

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 05:21:23 am »
Johan...

Do any of the effects work? The Hi-N1 exhaust gas? What about the Hi-N2 approach smoke? If these work, let me know.

If yes, then check in your FSX\Effects folder for "fx_f18_medG_LEXVapor_R/L" (both Right/Left effects) and if they are there, and you still dont get the effect.

I get the effects just fine but I may have released it assuming something that wasnt true for anyone just doing a new install with the Test_Sludge bird.

Later
Sludge

Johan

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 03:36:17 pm »
Johan...

Do any of the effects work? The Hi-N1 exhaust gas? What about the Hi-N2 approach smoke? If these work, let me know.

If yes, then check in your FSX\Effects folder for "fx_f18_medG_LEXVapor_R/L" (both Right/Left effects) and if they are there, and you still dont get the effect.

I get the effects just fine but I may have released it assuming something that wasnt true for anyone just doing a new install with the Test_Sludge bird.

Later
Sludge

Hi Sludge,

Thanks for your response. On the new test-bird, the Hi-N1 exhaust gas and Hi-N2 approach smoke do not work either. I do have "fx_f18_medG_LEXVapor_R/L" in my effect folder, so that's not the problem. I re-installed the previous version of the Sludge this morning and all the effects are working fine...I will make a line by line comparison of both aircraft.cfg today and see if I find anything odd.
Thanks for your follow up,

Johan

Johan

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 06:11:04 pm »
Sludge,

I might have omitted to copy and paste the "Basic" folder into the "Panel" folder...I will check tonight on my system. That would explain why I am missing those effects.
I will let you know.
Thanks,

Johan

Johan

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 09:20:11 pm »
Johan...

Later
Sludge

Sludge,

Alright, I got all the effects back, it was my mistake during the installation of the new Test_Sludge...sorry.
Thanks again, I am enjoying this with vLSO (thanks Serge!).

Johan