Author Topic: FSX Acceleration USS Enterprise, a rework payware  (Read 21038 times)

Ost

Re: FSX Acceleration USS Enterprise, a rework payware
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 04:32:52 am »
Unfortunately, as Sylvain wrote on SOH Forum :
Hello,
A quick answer: the FLOLS system used is the FSX Acceleration feature, so you'll have exactly the same lights effects and glideslope with the BigE than FSX's carrier or Javier's Nimitz... But I can't tell you if it's 3.5 or 4 degrees... I guess FSX set it at 4 degrees but I'm not sure...

regards,
Sylvain

Ost

SUBS17

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 10:05:30 pm »
What sort of animation has been modeled with the crew?

Mirage4FS

• Mirage Aircraft for Flight Simulator
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 12:11:37 am »
What kind of animation do you want to see?  Sylvain is converting his crew from the Clemenceau/Foch for use with the Enterprise.  So if there was some animation there it might be possible to do the same but in a way appropriate to the US.  

Would seriously like hear everyone's expectations and "deal breakers" before hand rather than after.

Oh, and it is presently using the default Aceleration meatball.  So whatever the angle is on that, that's what we have.  Please explain to me what the deal is so I can try to get it fixed.

Thanks guys!  I'm part of the team calling the shots on this so I am listening.

---
Frank Safranek
Mirage Aircraft for Flight Simulator
http://www.mirage4fs.com/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:14:16 am by Mirage4FS »

Razgriz

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 03:16:10 am »
What kind of animation do you want to see?  Sylvain is converting his crew from the Clemenceau/Foch for use with the Enterprise.  So if there was some animation there it might be possible to do the same but in a way appropriate to the US.  

Would seriously like hear everyone's expectations and "deal breakers" before hand rather than after.

Oh, and it is presently using the default Aceleration meatball.  So whatever the angle is on that, that's what we have.  Please explain to me what the deal is so I can try to get it fixed.

Thanks guys!  I'm part of the team calling the shots on this so I am listening.

---
Frank Safranek

There was a huge argument over on the VRS forum of why FSX's 4.0 glideslope ball is wrong, and 3.5 is correct, but that's another story.

tl;dr; Pilots can use reference altitudes and distances [tables] to make sure hes on the right path for landing, make sure all of the real world pattern numbers add up and directly translate into the sim.  The problem is it doesn't in FSX, because the meatball uses a 4.0 degree glideslope in FSX, while in the real world it uses a 3.5 degree glideslope.  I'm sure Sludge can expand on this.

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 08:37:18 am »
Frank...

Oh, and it is presently using the default Aceleration meatball.  So whatever the angle is on that, that's what we have.  Please explain to me what the deal is so I can try to get it fixed.

Thanks for stopping by.

OK, the problem with the FSX 4.0 carrier glideslope is that, to be semi-realistic, one has to setup a Wind Over Deck (WoD) of 35+ knots so that the basic angle of 4.0 becomes an "effective angle" (due to WoD) of 3.2 degrees. Whereas 3.5 basic angle (what you see on the meatball), then becomes a 2.8 effective angle and requires WoD of around 30 kts (more realistic). A 3.5 glideslope is "the most commonly used" in carrier ops. This is all according to 2009 LSO NATOPS.

Also, in the Carrier Landing Pattern table (figure 8-2), one cannot "hit" the altitudes listed or even come close (within 50ft) if using the 4.0 glideslope. At the 90, one is supposed to be APPROX. 450 ft, but with the standard FSX glideslope one is about 550 ft.

Thats about it, as to why I'd definately purchase your carrier if it comes with a 3.5 meatball glideslope.

Later
Sludge

GOONIE

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 06:22:26 pm »
Frank,

Definitely second the 3.5 glideslope for the meatball. This alone would make a huge improvement.

Couple other additions:
- Create a Meatball that works with pitching deck/ heavy seas conditions (this would make for some challenging flying). Currently a pitching deck (roll & heave) can be created with Javiers NIMITZ and simconnect, but since the meatball doesn't work or provide correct info under these conditions it is not realistic to fly them.

- Create animated arresting wires that react to the hook and also retract following a trap.

- Deck animations, create a yellow shirt, that signals hook up after successful trap, then give taxi clear of LA hand signals.

- Deck animations, create a yellow shirt that gives hand signals for lineup (left/right) with CAT 1 or 2, then stop/brakes, and then extend launch bar hand signals.

- Sense a foul deck condition (aircraft in LA realtime), flash wave off lights, and animate the LSOs holding pickle over their heads until clear.

- Animate AI pilots doing preflight walk around static aircraft.

- AI aircraft being towed and parked, repositioned, fueling, etc.

Understand these are not simple feats, but they would significantly add to the realism and experience on the deck.

Besides 1980/90s traffic, what is new about your carrier compared to Javiers?
-CAPT
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:26:04 pm by capthaltli »
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

SUBS17

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 07:36:47 pm »
Some good ideas there Capthaltli also AI flights taking off and landing would be very cool. So far Javiers Carrier has this animation:

DIs Superhornet used to have deck crew guide you onto the cat which was very cool.

Years ahead of its time. ;)....Any addon that has that I'll pay for. 8)

Mirage4FS

• Mirage Aircraft for Flight Simulator
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 10:34:30 pm »
Frank,

Definitely second the 3.5 glideslope for the meatball. This alone would make a huge improvement.
Thanks for the wish list.  I'll pass it on.   

And Sludge, thanks very much for explaining why the 3.5 meatball glideslope is important.  If I understand it correctly, not having to lose an extra 100 feet altitude on the final is what you're trying to avoid?  If so, then that does seem like a worthwhile reason to try and address that.

---
Frank Safranek

Orion

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 06:55:26 am »
- Create a Meatball that works with pitching deck/ heavy seas conditions (this would make for some challenging flying). Currently a pitching deck (roll & heave) can be created with Javiers NIMITZ and simconnect, but since the meatball doesn't work or provide correct info under these conditions it is not realistic to fly them.
I recall reading somewhere in these boards that, because the FLOLS lights stay in the same position relative to the model reference point, it is effectively stabilized.  Is this not correct?

Victory103

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 07:38:05 am »
Following this on SOH as well, but I do like the different period set ups, I cruised on Big "E" in the mid-90's. As far as animations, agree with Capt about the deck crew, more immersion factor while on deck. Would be nice to see the helo in "Starboard Delta" like the Javier boat's, most fastmovers forget about these until they are needed.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 08:04:16 am »
Frank...

If I understand it correctly, not having to lose an extra 100 feet altitude on the final is what you're trying to avoid?  If so, then that does seem like a worthwhile reason to try and address that.

That's part of it, for sure, as getting to the start close to the right altitude is vital to a good pass. However, once flying the pass, a 3.5 ball gives the pilot a little more room to make a correction without having such a big power change to correct back to glide. Meaning if you're flying at 4.0 (and 35+ WoD), if you're above glide and you pull power off too much and get a little low, you then really have to OVERCORRECT to get back up to glideslope. Whereas, with the 3.5 (27-30 WoD), if you pull off power, the result isnt as brutal (in relation to glideslope). To visualize, with the current 4.0, we fly our passes around 700-800 ft/min decent rate. With the 3.5, it gets into the 600-700 ft/min rate regime and hence... not as harsh on power corrections, when needed.

Later
Sludge

GOONIE

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 04:40:44 pm »
I recall reading somewhere in these boards that, because the FLOLS lights stay in the same position relative to the model reference point, it is effectively stabilized.  Is this not correct?

I saw this thread, thought you were on it, but maybe it is dated now. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8622

I think the issue was the FLOLS meatball (the actual light) was blocked by the ship, not visible. So I guess the meatball info is correct, but if you can't see it due to the ship moving, you can't fly it. CLARA, CLARA! ;)

-CAPT

Orion

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 11:43:27 pm »
I saw this thread, thought you were on it, but maybe it is dated now. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8622

I think the issue was the FLOLS meatball (the actual light) was blocked by the ship, not visible. So I guess the meatball info is correct, but if you can't see it due to the ship moving, you can't fly it. CLARA, CLARA! ;)

-CAPT

Oh, yeah.  The pitching deck is really useless though, as the deck basically turns into jello.  Sometimes you can stay on it, but it isn't long till you either fall through or start moving about.  And yeah, the FLOLS lights are obscured by the pitching ship.  You can see this in the video I made a while back.

GOONIE

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 08:31:56 pm »

DIs Superhornet used to have deck crew guide you onto the cat which was very cool.

Years ahead of its time. ;)....Any addon that has that I'll pay for. 8)

Janes USNF had deck animation almost two decades ago ???

Another cool animation I thought could be added is an AI Weight Board operator, that runs up to the side of your cockpit and shows you the CAT Launch Weight like the picture below;

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:34:18 pm by capthaltli »