Author Topic: HD textures in Addon manager  (Read 5634 times)

KingCat

HD textures in Addon manager
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:51:51 pm »
I have enabled the option "Force HD textures" in the addon manager.

My question is: do I have to click "Save to FSX" after enabling the checkbox for the HD textures, or do I just click "Exit" without clicking on "Save to FSX" first? I have attached a screenshot.

It's a little confusing because I don't want the other "FSX Tweaks" to be saved to my FSX.CFG, just the HD textures.

Jon

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: HD textures in Addon manager
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 10:11:42 pm »
The "Force HD Textures" option is always saved automatically without having to press the "Save to FSX" button, it was obviously made this way on purpose, so you don't have to apply the other tweaks together with it.

However, it's not as if the Addon Manager would "force" different tweaks compared to the one you already have in your FSX.CFG: the settings in that page are READ FROM your FSX.CFG!

Only if there was no tweak in the first place, the Addon Manager comes with its own default values OR, if you press the "Defaults" button, all the settings will go back to default values but even in that case, they will be written back ONLY after pressing the "Save to FSX" button.

The only way for the Addon Manager to "disrupt" your tweaks, is to first press the "Default" button and THEN pressing the "Save to FSX" button, otherwise what is on that page are exactly the same values you already had in your FSX.CFG so, in your example, pressing or not the "Save to FSX" button wouldn't make any difference, it's just that it's not needed for the "Force HD texture" to work, because that one is always automatically saved and doesn't even require an FSX restart.

KingCat

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 10:50:08 pm »
Thanks for the explanation. I was always under the impression that those tweaks were "suggestions not yet applied" by the addon manager. But they are my own settings from my FSX.CFG and that's fine.

I'm glad this is cleared up, because I never completely understood that page in the addon manager.

Jon

BTW: is the setting "Force HD textures" only applied to FSDreamTeam airports, or also on every other airport?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:53:24 pm by KingCat »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 10:58:12 pm »
BTW: is the setting "Force HD textures" only applied to FSDreamTeam airports, or also on every other airport?

They are applied globally to FSX, and not even strictly to scenery. In fact, that option was added when Qualitywings made HD textures for their 757.

Opposite to many similar utilities and installation programs that write the 4096 maximum size to the FSX.CFG, but it's only read at the FSX startup and if you touch the FSX graphic settings page the setting is lost (there's even a free utility out there that keep rewriting the FSX.CFG every *second*!!), the Addon Manager does it in a much smarter way: the setting is applied immediately without a restart, and it's not lost when accessing the graphic setting pages, because is written directly in memory while FSX runs, so you can also change the setting on the fly without a restart.