Author Topic: Strange ATIS  (Read 6127 times)

ddo2

Strange ATIS
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:15:55 pm »
Another weird thing that I've found.  At PHTO and PHLI, I get an ATIS that says something like "landing and departing runways 22L, 22R, 25, 28, 35 L, 35R, etc."  And a long string of runways that don't exist.  AFCAD problem?  If so, how do I fix.  Thanks. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Strange ATIS
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:23:11 pm »
Not a problem, it's made intentionally to allow the use of multiple crosswind runways, it's the very well known "star technique", and the only side effect is the weird ATIS.

You said "another weird thing" you found...what are the others ? Are you having other issues after the 1.1 upgrade ?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:25:03 pm by virtuali »

ddo2

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 12:42:21 am »
Ok, thanks.  I must admit that I am not familar with the "star technique", although I am a real world pilot and do know what a STAR is. 

The other I was referencing was the CTD issue in the other thread.  I haven't had a chance to test out some changes I made or install the 1.1 version, but I will, maybe tonight or possibly this weekend.  If the AFCAD changes, maybe that will fix some of the issues in that thread. 

Although, ATC at PHNL did clear my J41 to land on 8W, which I declined...

Thanks 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:57:49 am »
Ok, thanks.  I must admit that I am not familar with the "star technique", although I am a real world pilot and do know what a STAR is. 

It's a well known Flight sim *developer* technique, doesn't have any relationship to real world aviation!

The other I was referencing was the CTD issue in the other thread

The CTD in the other thread happened well outside the scenery loading range so, it can't be caused by it but, most likely, problems with AI

I haven't had a chance to test out some changes I made or install the 1.1 version, but I will, maybe tonight or possibly this weekend.  If the AFCAD changes, maybe that will fix some of the issues in that thread. 

Although, ATC at PHNL did clear my J41 to land on 8W, which I declined...

You mean you changed the AFCAD ?  In that case, anything like that can happen, depending on what you use to edit it.

For example, if you use ADE, it adds a command to remove all the default approaches, even if the original file had a command to explicitly preserve them, and our has so, when you save your modified file back, you'll lose all the approache procedures, unless you use the command to import them from default ( "Load Stock data" ).

Without approaches, the ATC can't figure out anymore approaches (usually, runways with an ILS procedure are chosen first), and will assign runways based on other criteria like length, etc.

ddo2

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:09:10 pm »
FYI, I did not edit the AFCAD.  That isn't in my normal range of things to do.  What I was saying was that the clearance I got to land at PHNL was 8W.  That would have gone badly in the PMDG Jetstream.  So, I asked for a different runway.  My comment would be that the system should know I'm not a water plane. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 04:30:45 pm »
My comment would be that the system should know I'm not a water plane.  

Yes, it should, and that's why I thought you might have edited the AFCAD, because it shouldn't assign you a water runway, when there are others way more suitable, complete with ILS and related ILS procedures.

It's possible that *another* AFCAD, coming from another scenery (or an AI traffic package), is causing problems. You can use the free FSX Airport Scanner program to check for AFCAD duplicates.