Author Topic: Now what do I do?  (Read 5681 times)

diceflo

Now what do I do?
« on: February 15, 2011, 06:44:40 am »
Let me just by saying that I own every scenery and plan to buy whatever is released next, but I have a problem. This problem shows up sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Of course I am talking about disappearing buildings at some or all airports. For months now I have just been taking my chances with the scenery working correctly but now it's out of hand. I have read all the questions from other users about this problem and have followed all the directions to get them to work. I have followed directions to the letter when it comes to uninstall, disable the anti virus then install again blah, blah, blah. This last time I just decided to uninstall my anti virus completely and I figured the sceneries have to work now, but I landed at JFK and saw no buildings but jetways only. I restarted the computer and then the buildings appeared. The next time I played I had no buildings again and other times the buildings appear for about 2 minutes and then they disappear. I really don't know what to do about this and I hope that it can be solved because I really do love the sceneries (when they work) and I want to buy everything that gets released. Reading the forums for all of the airports clearly shows that this is a major problem and needs to be fixed because so many people are having the same problem.

One more thing, is there a user guide for the add on manger that has all the fsx settings that you can adjust. I would really like to use it but I am not sure what all the adjustable settings do to fsx. I have searched but I can't find anything but i'm sure it's somewhere easy to find but i can't find it you know what I mean?

thanks everyone for listening.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Now what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 01:02:09 pm »
I have followed directions to the letter when it comes to uninstall, disable the anti virus then install again blah, blah, blah. This last time I just decided to uninstall my anti virus completely and I figured the sceneries have to work now

This seems to indicate the culprit was the antivirus, in this case. If you had to uninstall it entirely, you must have skipped some step, otherwise it wouldn't have been fixed with a complete uninstall.

Rather than uninstalling, I suggest using an antivirus that doesn't create the issue to begin with, like the free Microsoft Security Essentials, which is what we test the scenery on, and we keep it constantly on, without any exclusion, without turning off, without doing anything special.

If you are keep seeing the problem, when it happens, the question is always the same: in the very moment you don't see buildings, do you STILL see BOTH the Addon Manager and the Couatl menus under the Addons menu bar ?

Also, check if you have this file:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl.Err

If you have it, send it via PM or email.

diceflo

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 07:15:10 pm »
ok, I will try it out later today and get back with the results.

diceflo

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:42:16 am »
Ok, so here's what I have. I downloaded and installed the microsoft security essentials and started up fsx. I started at kjfk and was able to see buildings, which I forgot how good they looked. I was very excited, but I have been here before so I decided to test it some more. I shut down the computer and started up fsx and started again at kjfk but this time I saw no buildings only jetways. I have the coutl and add on manger still showing in the menu when the problem arises. I don't have the file you mentioned "%APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatl.Err" Do I need to uninstall all the sceneries and reinstall now that I am using a new anti virus and also do I need to exclude the bgmanx and coutl like I did with AVG.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:57:25 am »
As I've said in my previous message, the MS Security Essential doesn't need any configuration.

You don't need to reinstall any scenery, try to install ONLY the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, install it AFTER the sceneries are installed, and see if it makes any difference.

diceflo

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:08:26 pm »
Well I tried flying from Boston to new york and when I landed at JFK all I saw was jetways. Just the other day, it was working fine but then today it didn't and I haven't altered anything but the addon manager which I don't know how to use since there is no instructions on how to use it. I'm pretty sure that didn't cause the problem but maybe it did. What are my options now? thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 09:20:49 pm »
I repeat my previous question:

when it happens, the question is always the same: in the very moment you don't see buildings, do you STILL see BOTH the Addon Manager and the Couatl menus under the Addons menu bar ?

diceflo

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 12:37:15 am »
As I have stated before, I have the addon manager and couatl in the menu bar. The seems to happen at JFK more than the other airports.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:27:24 pm »
The seems to happen at JFK more than the other airports.

Please, clarify this: does it mean you sometimes see buildings on JFK, without touching anything, and sometimes they disappear, but it doesn't happen as often in other FSDT airports ?

diceflo

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 12:26:25 am »
yes, so far the only problem I am having is with JFK and that's the airport I fly in and out of the most. Sometimes the buildings are there and sometimes they aren't. Then sometimes the buildings are there but when the frame moves the buildings disappear and even sometimes they just came back from nowhere. It is very strange and it used to happen at other airports but since I installed the anti virus that you suggested, I have had no problems at those airports (so far). I am using a crosswind afcad for JFK from the forums, could that be the problem?