Author Topic: Dust Cloud  (Read 22547 times)

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
Re: Dust Cloud
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 05:22:31 pm »

Its ok I can sympathise with ya Jimi. ;D
Just kidding you guys are quite cool to watch too.

LOL!  No worries man.  Had to look at the post again to realize that you mentioned the VBA.  Just saw the FC2 part.  It's all good though :)

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 05:27:31 pm »
But seriously, if someone can figure this effect out, it would be great!  I'd gladly pay for its development (within specifications of course).

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

SUBS17

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 10:50:19 pm »
Effects are there that could be modded for use:

Sludge

• SQUEEZING EVERY NICKEL of life for all its worth!
    • SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 06:17:14 am »
Jimi...

Since that effect is getting some demand, Ill look into incorporating that into the next Sludge release.  Now that I have the SDK humming along and effects are much easier to tweak (thanks Raz), I can easily write the .XML additions for it, give it certain parameters, plug them into the FX folder... test them out, and then see if people like them.  Also, maybe some type of "rooster tails" when "over water at a high enough speed and thrust setting"?

Give me some ideas about the parameters youd want it activated and Ill work on em.

Later
Sludge

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 07:27:37 am »
Jimi...

Since that effect is getting some demand, Ill look into incorporating that into the next Sludge release.  Now that I have the SDK humming along and effects are much easier to tweak (thanks Raz), I can easily write the .XML additions for it, give it certain parameters, plug them into the FX folder... test them out, and then see if people like them.  Also, maybe some type of "rooster tails" when "over water at a high enough speed and thrust setting"?

Give me some ideas about the parameters youd want it activated and Ill work on em.

Later
Sludge

Man, that would be great Sludge! 

We are looking the effect to happen probably around 100ft AGL or below, at about 4-5 Gs of pull at 300+ KIAS.  Not sure if that coves everything, but it's a start I image.

We don't have much coding/gauge experience on our team, but if we can help out on something, let me know.  We've also be working on another version of the Hornet's FRC that would do a better job of recreating the Fly-by-wire feel of the Hornet during flight.  It's still a work in progress, but let me know if you are interested in checking it out.

Thanks again!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 09:31:52 pm »
Jimi...

Ok, Ill start with those parameters this weekend, when I get a chance.

Also, what do you mean about Hornet FRC?  What does that do?  How does it give the Hornet a more "fly by wire" feel?  If it does, Im definately interested.  I was looking into some L:Var's to limit stick pull for Gs over 7.5, but let that go to get the simple things done.  Might have to get back into that if this new development shows promise.

Later
Sludge

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 11:17:31 pm »
Sweet!

Oops, I meant FCS or Flight Control System.  Although not as advanced as something like the F-16, the real Hornets have a Flight Control System that allows for things such as auto-trim, G limiter, AOA control etc.  The aircraft pretty much stays where you place it (within reason).  It's a derivative of one of Dino's/Roberto's flight models in which he was trying to emulate the same FCS "feel".  The one we are working on is definitely not as complex as the VRS FCS system, but it still gets the job done.  Still working on getting the flaps and power settings right though, an area which I believe you are very familiar with.  Maybe we could link up.

-just a thought...
Seems like simulators and actual aviation are going in opposite directions (in combat aircraft anyway).  Simulators are trying harder, and harder to simulate flying characteristics of real-world aircraft, and real-world aircraft manufacturers are trying harder and harder to simulate the flying characteristics of video game aircraft.  Simulators such as FSX and XPlane have very many flight parameters/attributes to give a very authentic and realistic feel.  In contrast, many of today's tactical aircraft have advanced FBW, FCS and stability systems that allow the aircraft to handle more like a video game, making them easier to fly.  Things such as auto-trim, auto-rudder, fly-by-wire, auto-recovery and push button engine starts make it easier and easier to fly today's modern aircraft.  To deploy them in combat is a different story.  So...my theory is that the Hornet is a little more stable and easier to fly IRL as compared to FSX due to such systems...

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Orion

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 12:54:59 am »
Seems like simulators and actual aviation are going in opposite directions (in combat aircraft anyway).  Simulators are trying harder, and harder to simulate flying characteristics of real-world aircraft, and real-world aircraft manufacturers are trying harder and harder to simulate the flying characteristics of video game aircraft.  Simulators such as FSX and XPlane have very many flight parameters/attributes to give a very authentic and realistic feel.  In contrast, many of today's tactical aircraft have advanced FBW, FCS and stability systems that allow the aircraft to handle more like a video game, making them easier to fly.  Things such as auto-trim, auto-rudder, fly-by-wire, auto-recovery and push button engine starts make it easier and easier to fly today's modern aircraft.
Reminds me of this image :P.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:57:59 am by Orion »

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 03:20:23 am »
lol! exactly, orion

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 09:06:46 am »
I guess this has gone cold huh?

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 09:18:45 am »
Jimi...

No, it hasnt gone cold, just tapered off.  Sorry I didnt get back sooner, just with all that other BS going on and working on getting the paints and stuff, I havent had as much time as Id like to dedicate to testing.

Ive got kinda a rough working idea of what I wanna do, but its gonna take some time.  I used the in-game SDK FX Toolkit to put a "jetting out" FX_dust cloud on the ground, behind and low of the Hornet when its 100 AGL.  The "rooster tail" over land that we talked about.  It looked OK, I just havent found the time to figure out a "dust explosion" yet, when a sudden Hi-G, hi-speed maneuver happens.

I will keep at this, as it has potential.  IF I can nail down the particulars (ie. keep the "dust explosion" on the deck as the jet pulls up and stuff like that...  so bear with me.  I havent forgotten, just had some initial testing and some so-so results.  If I havent brought it up, feel free to chime in and ask, and more than likely, Im still working... just havent updated everyone here.

Later
Sludge

neutrino

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 12:01:26 pm »
I did additional testing too. I got the xml for the effect in place and it works. The problem is that I cannot trigger the effect when I am using the Replay or FSRecorder. This makes it hard to tweak the effect and to actually record it with FRAPS. So here is a video which I took live as I was flying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBeqhGgsFd0&hd=1

Sludge

• SludgeHornet.NET
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 09:28:32 am »
JR...

Geez, you are kidding when you said "I did additional testing too."  Thats really good.  I think you have a winner there.  I guess I can work on the overland/overwater "rooster tails", since you've pretty much NAILED this effect down.

Just when I think I have too much stuff on my plate.  Someone goes and just nails the job down.

Later
Sludge

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 07:26:52 pm »
Neutrino:   :o Very nice!  You have me salivating over here!  Any way I can get this effect from you so that we may display it during the FSX NAF El Centro Air Show this Saturday?

Sludge:  Thanks for the quick response.  I know your pretty busy with your own projects so thanks for taking some time out of your schedule to look into this.  I know 3 or 4 people were initially looking into this effect, but hadn't heard anything. 

Thanks for the updates!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

neutrino

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 09:01:50 pm »
Hi jimi, here is a small package with instructions how to install the effect. I put it here, so that if someone else can add something to it, improve the xml or the effect itself, that will be nice.

I didn't get back to you earlier because I couldn't get the effect to show up when replaying or with FSRecorder. And I don't like putting stuff that is not 100% ready to use.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:03:27 pm by neutrino »